2wd low??¿¿ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can put my transfercase in 2wd low on my 70 FJ40. On the glove box plaque it says not to do that. Y not? i dont see how it could hurt anything. and hopefully i didnt. thanks

i don't think it can hurt anything, and lots of people make it so they can do it too. there is a shift plate that can be cut to allow this. one day i'm going to do it to my 40.

There is probably an increased possibility of popping your rear driveshaft, or an axle shaft (if locked up). But I use 2wd low all the time with no ill effects. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mine can do that, but I never use it. I've heard it's good on the trail to get out of some jams, but I think you'd have to go light on the gas--all that torque to one driveshaft might do some damage if you stomp it.

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=9723;start=msg85473#msg85473 date=1073405989]
Mine can do that, but I never use it. I've heard it's good on the trail to get out of some jams, but I think you'd have to go light on the gas--all that torque to one driveshaft might do some damage if you stomp it.
[/quote]
yes it would :whoops: never thought of that! also do you all reccoemnd the TC saver? u can get it at JT outfitters and also CCOT too i think i htink that it would be a good investment :beer:

I have a t-case saver on mine. An easy $30 better-safe-than-sorry.

I run the Amway-style t-case saver and one mongo skidplate. IMO, the stocker is too weenie for real protection.

I've used 2wd low for LOTS of years, probably 7-8, and have yet to have issue. I normally run in 2wd-low and hit 4 when an obstacle approches. Even in granny I've experienced zero problems.

OK good. lol. yeah it does have a lot of torque on the rear axle when its in 2wd low. i figured that out when I gave it a lot of gas on pavement one day :whoops:. but its still holding together. did it come like that from the factory??

No, it did not come that way from the factory. Someone has modified, or removed the shift gate for the t-case. No big deal....

-Steve

Torched mine in about 60 seconds, no mods necessary on the vacuum linkage like you said and I used to do that in my older 40 all the time. Makes it a breeze to turn a rig around that's welded in the rear and has a detroit in the front. Saves birfs if backing up as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom