2UZ vacuum line replacement alternative hoses (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rvk

Threads
Hellur

In an attempt to cure my rough idle, I'm going to replace various vacuum line hoses around my engine. I know some of you have replaced many of them with aftermarket hoses, such as fuel line hoses. I bought some 1/4 and 1/2 inch fuel line hose from Autozone, but I've noticed their ID isn't identical to the ID of the OEM hoses.
I would imagine it needs to be pretty damn close to keep everything in proper specs?
Those of you who have changed them with aftermarket, which hoses / sizes did you use?

Thanks

I don't believe the engine is very sensitive to the ID of the hoses -- it's more important that all the lines/connections are leak free and hold pressure. I replaced all the EVAP hoses with generic fuel line from pep boys. I just brought in my old hoses and got a few feet of fuel line with similar ID. I cut them to length at home and clamped them on.

I also replaced all the parts in this kit:

I also replaced the VSV on the charcoal canister in the engine bay.

Reactions: rvk
Hellur

In an attempt to cure my rough idle, I'm going to replace various vacuum line hoses around my engine. I know some of you have replaced many of them with aftermarket hoses, such as fuel line hoses. I bought some 1/4 and 1/2 inch fuel line hose from Autozone, but I've noticed their ID isn't identical to the ID of the OEM hoses.
I would imagine it needs to be pretty damn close to keep everything in proper specs?
Those of you who have changed them with aftermarket, which hoses / sizes did you use?

Thanks
You can buy bulk OEM hose from Toyota that you cut to length…

You can buy bulk metric-sized silicone hose on Amazon. Perfect for vacuum hose replacement. It is usually smaller than the factory clamps, tho, so you'll have to get a bulk clamp assortment to match.

Reactions: rvk
You can buy bulk OEM hose from Toyota that you cut to length…
Just called my local Toyota dealership parts department and they said they can't sell me their hose that comes in bulk, it's only for the service department. Bummer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just called my local Toyota dealership parts department and they said they can't sell me their hose that comes in bulk, it's only for the service department. Bummer. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Well they’re lying communists. Here’s the part number for 4 feet of OEM Toyota bulk vacuum hose: 90999-92006. Buy it wherever you want. It’s $12.38 from partsouq. Probably can’t buy 4 feet of $hitty hose from Autozone for that price.
BFDBC0AC-C12F-4587-94D9-288607CA68AB.jpeg

I don't believe the engine is very sensitive to the ID of the hoses -- it's more important that all the lines/connections are leak free and hold pressure. I replaced all the EVAP hoses with generic fuel line from pep boys. I just brought in my old hoses and got a few feet of fuel line with similar ID. I cut them to length at home and clamped them on.

I also replaced all the parts in this kit:

I also replaced the VSV on the charcoal canister in the engine bay.
be weary of wit's end part numbers and 100 series.

That pvc kit does not work on 2003+ 100/470s, and some of there other listings have the wrong part numbers too.

Well they’re lying communists. Here’s the part number for 4 feet of OEM Toyota bulk vacuum hose: 90999-92006. Buy it wherever you want. It’s $12.38 from partsouq. Probably can’t buy 4 feet of $hitty hose from Autozone for that price.
View attachment 2749331
I just ordered it online via my local Toyota dealers website, pick up in person. HA. A few $ less than partsouq after shipping costs.
Won't be the only hose size I need but its a good start. Thanks!

I replaced ALL my vacuum hoses on my TLC a couple of years ago with factory bits. I highly recommend this on all cars. Rubber gets old. Vacuum leaks occur.

They are a wear item.

Hose on the left is part number 90999-92006. Too small to use for what I'm trying to do.
Hose in the middle is a hose the Toyota parts department gave me after I pestered them for some of their vacuum line.
Hose on the right (23829a) is the first line I'm trying to replace, and the same size as much of the lines I was hoping to replace vs buying OEM fitted lines.
Currently have the middle hose in the spot the hose on the right (23829a) was. Will use that for now.
I think I'm too much of a perfectionist to settle for lines that aren't the exact same sizes as the original. :c

IMG_3953.jpeg

Last edited:
Hose on the left is part number 90999-92006. Too small to use for what I'm trying to do.
Hose in the middle is a hose the Toyota Parts department gave me after I pestered them for some of their vacuum line.
Hose on the right (23829a) is the first line I'm trying to replace, and the same size as much of the lines I was hoping to replace vs buying OEM fitted lines.
Currently have the middle hose in the spot the hose on the right (23829a) is. Will use that for now.
I think I'm too much of a perfectionist to settle for lines that aren't the exact same sizes as the original. :c

I'd just take the lines to the parts store and let them know you need some vacuum line. You should be able to match up the diameter pretty darn close that way. That's my plan for when I do the vacuum lines, and I'm a perfectionist too.

Also, good taste in footwear. My wife and I have six pairs of Chacos between us. Nothing beats them in the summer.

I'm usually a diehard OEM guy but for vacuum lines, I think getting bulk metric silicone hoses would be acceptable (and likely better).... coupled with high quality heat resistant zip ties.

delete

I bought this kit from LCE for my 4Runner and had some left over. The various sizes worked fine for many of the hoses on the LX

Last edited:
Hose in the middle is a hose the Toyota Parts department gave me after I pestered them for some of their vacuum line.
Currently have the middle hose in the spot the hose on the right (23829a) is. Will use that for now.

View attachment 2751012
Where did you pull the hose on the right off of on your rig? just curious.

I am gearing up to swap a bunch of hoses as well. I like to use OEM for the ones that have some bends in them but a few near the charcoal canister look like they can be replaced with generic vac lines.

Currently have the middle hose in the spot the hose on the right (23829a) was. Will use that for now.

View attachment 2751012
721AD6FA-B2C5-4A33-B33C-DA6562CC1719.jpeg

You’d benefit immensely from using Partsouq…

I am wanting to replace all of the vacuum lines in my 99 TLC - for those that have used generic lines, how have you handled all of the bends. I am concerned an unshaped hose might kink. Do you shape them prior to installation? If so, how? I have seen various methods online to do this but have never done it myself.

I am wanting to replace all of the vacuum lines in my 99 TLC - for those that have used generic lines, how have you handled all of the bends. I am concerned an unshaped hose might kink. Do you shape them prior to installation? If so, how? I have seen various methods online to do this but have never done it myself.
There are a lot of twist and turns on the vac lines on the 2UZ. I'm sure there are some people who can chime in on aftermarket but I would stick to OEM and slowly replace as the budget allows.

On the flipside a lot of my original lines had enough slack to just cut back a half inch or so from the ends, eliminating the cracks, and re-installed.

View attachment 2749331

Hey @JunkCrzr89 Is this the size for the PS hose? I have some generic hoses but my power steering is leaking ever so slightly.. like almost non existant leak but its the hoses are wet. so its leaking.. or would you happen to know the power steering hose "mm" size?

There are a lot of twist and turns on the vac lines on the 2UZ. I'm sure there are some people who can chime in on aftermarket but I would stick to OEM and slowly replace as the budget allows.

On the flipside a lot of my original lines had enough slack to just cut back a half inch or so from the ends, eliminating the cracks, and re-installed.
Thanks - I think this is the route I'll go. Now I need to figure out the correct part numbers for my year. I was looking at the wits-end kit but someone earlier said they don't get the part numbers correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom