2nd Gen Sequoia, Load Range E Tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some thoughts on load range requirements for the Sequoia. Currently I am running Cooper AT3 4S in the standard load range. I have noticed the sidewalls seems soft and flexy and feel the tread wore extremely fast. The truck gets a lot of highway miles loaded down with people and stuff and I am wondering if it is time to step up the load rating. The truck presently rides excellent and is quiet, as the family's daily driver part of me hates to give that up. Cooper offers the AT3 XLT in a E-rated tire, I could always go with the old standby K02 in a D rating as well. I just don't want to turn the family suv into a rough riding truck. Anyone running an E rated or D rated tire can comment?

2008 Sequoia Limited, Bilstein 5100's, Cooper 275/60R20 AT3 4S

I’ve got Es on both my Tundra and Sequoia. Falken ATs (crap) on the Sequoia and Toyo AT2s on the Tundra (slightly less crap). I would run the AT3 XLT over KO2s for the more plush ride. D vs E is not the big difference, it’s all about tread design and tire construction for ride quality.

How have your AT3 4S worn? Mine are currently cupping at only a little over 20k miles. They have a great ride and I really like them in rain and snow, but I'll probably switch to Michelin Defenders next as my car is mostly highway/onroad use. I'd probably switch to the KO2s over the Coopers unless you really like the Coopers, although if you run them year round, the Coopers would probably perform better in the snow (although I'd probably use winter tires since you are in Michigan).

Yes, the current Coopers have worn out, they are near the first set of wear bars and the snow traction has disappeared. The tread depth was doing just fine until three back-to-back road trips to Wyoming this winter, the highway miles seemed to shave the tread right off. Wear is pretty even though so is a plus. I am starting to lean towards the Cooper AT3 XLT as a bridge between the standard load rated tire and the K02.

I run a WildPeak E rated tire.
I was about to ask if they suck as bad for you as they do for me in snow, but then saw Texas. You likely don’t get much snow…

I was about to ask if they suck as bad for you as they do for me in snow, but then saw Texas. You likely don’t get much snow…
And when we do get snow I do not venture out. Nothing more dangerous than Native Texans and truck drivers driving in snow.

I run the Wildpeak AT3 in 285/60-20 on my Sequoia at 45 psi for travel and towing. E-rated. For snow, I deflate to 40 psi and have not problems. Have a place in K-Falls Oregon where I have run them in the snow plus travel to Montana in the snow last trip. No worries about traction. Profile photo is from my Montana trip when the snow melted and the mud ensued. If I were running more frequently in the snow/mud, Goodyear Duratracs have worked well for me.

I bought these Venom Power Terra Hunter X/T XT tires 125/122R 10 ply E rated tires when I got rims. :hillbilly: They are a 50k mile tire. At the time, I got them for $177 apiece shipped off Amazon and I couldn't pass them up. All my friends teased me saying they were Gambler 500 tires and told me good luck getting them balanced.
Well, they mounted and balanced fine and I am quite pleased with them. I have been running 50lbs in them and they have made 2 family trips to Florida, one to Georgia and a couple to Tennessee all from Ohio with no issues. They are louder than the Cooper's that came with my truck but I don't mind it and the wife and kids have not complained. To me, this is a truck, not a cushy Cadillac. Tire choice is such a subjective topic and noise and ride comfort vary from one person to the next. I took a chance and they have performed well in the rain and snow and I really like them. Your mileage might vary!

I run E rated Nokian tires. When towing I’m at 75 psi, when I’m not I’m at 40. When I go off road I run 15. The ride - in general - is more harsh but it still feels like a 1/2 pretty much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom