2nd Gen in deep sand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't taken the Sequoia to the beach yet. Not sure why I have been so apprehensive to do so. I saw a Subaru Crosstrek at the beach the other day so it should be cake in my big tank. I have road tires and stock suspension and she sits at stock height. Anyone have experience with the 2nd gen at the beach or in sand? Do you have to lock the center diff in the sand?

You could. Air down tires. Helps a lot

We frequently run ours on the drivable beaches in Oregon with no issues. Once it gets hot outside and the sand gets softer put it in AWD or 4WD and air down as needed.

Do you find the need to engage the center diff? We have pretty deep soft sand here.

When I see deep, dry sand, I always default to being over-prepared, including airing down.

I go out in soft fluffy sand at the beach all the time. I put it in 4wd before I go out on the sand, then lock the center and deactivate traction control when I get on the sand. You'll want to deactivate traction control so your tires keep moving and you maintain momentum if you slip a little. Momentum and flotation are more important than traction; the sand isn't slippery, it just makes you sink in. I've never had to air down, it just churns right through. If I ever did get stuck, I'm confident airing down to 15 psi would get me going again. I keep it in 4HI and have never had to go to 4LO.

I go out in soft fluffy sand at the beach all the time. I put it in 4wd before I go out on the sand, then lock the center and deactivate traction control when I get on the sand. You'll want to deactivate traction control so your tires keep moving and you maintain momentum if you slip a little. Momentum and flotation are more important than traction; the sand isn't slippery, it just makes you sink in. I've never had to air down, it just churns right through. If I ever did get stuck, I'm confident airing down to 15 psi would get me going again. I keep it in 4HI and have never had to go to 4LO.

Doesn't the traction control automatically deactivate when you lock the center diff?

Doesn't the traction control automatically deactivate when you lock the center diff?

No, there is a separate button for that. Center diff lock button is above the 4wd switch. Traction control button is behind the steering wheel.

Last edited:

What tires are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom