2nd Battery Tray Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody know of any good options for a 2nd battery tray other than Slee? I was set to order the one from Slee, but don't need the compressor mount and would like to be able to go with a bigger battery than the Slee tray allows.

I have the Piranha one, not sure if you can get that in the US?

Does anybody know of any good options for a 2nd battery tray other than Slee? I was set to order the one from Slee, but don't need the compressor mount and would like to be able to go with a bigger battery than the Slee tray allows.

I just picked up the redesigned tray from Slee a few weeks ago. I also have no need for a compressor in that location, but being that I had to get my second battery in right away, I ordered it soon after it became available. The compressor mount leaves little room for a good sized battery. (I want to support a referigerator and other 12volt things for several days at a time) It's only a tiny battery that this bracket was built to support. I just thought it would be nice (and logical) to have the choice of a larger battery over the compressor mount. (two different part#'s) ...Just my thoughts.

I have the Piranha one, not sure if you can get that in the US?
That looks like it would be perfect for my needs, unfortunately it doesn't look like it's available in the US.
I just picked up the redesigned tray from Slee a few weeks ago. I also have no need for a compressor in that location, but being that I had to get my second battery in right away, I ordered it soon after it became available. The compressor mount leaves little room for a good sized battery. (I want to support a referigerator and other 12volt things for several days at a time) It's only a tiny battery that this bracket was built to support. I just thought it would be nice (and logical) to have the choice of a larger battery over the compressor mount. (two different part#'s) ...Just my thoughts.
Thank you, you've confirmed my concern with the new version from Slee. It would be nice if they could offer both versions, but I did check with them and was told they no longer offer the old version. The search continues, thanks for the help from both of you.

Do you have any photos of your install? Wondering if it's possible to modify the tray to allow a larger battery if the compressor isn't mounted?

Do you have any photos of your install? Wondering if it's possible to modify the tray to allow a larger battery if the compressor isn't mounted?

DSC02861.JPG

DSC02913.JPG

IMG_20160530_152045716_HDR.jpg

I just replaced my non-compressor mount Slee with the new compressor mount version and was about to list it in the classifieds.....I need to look back at what size it is capable of holding...

I just replaced my non-compressor mount Slee with the new compressor mount version and was about to list it in the classifieds.....I need to look back at what size it is capable of holding...

What are the dimensions for the battery on that older tray? The guy at Slee told me it was still the same battery size on the new one, but I have doubts.

I'm pretty sure he is right since the battery is oriented differently. I am pretty sure the biggest battery that these trays will fit is a group 35 though.

The new 2nd battery tray and compressor mount was developed since most people that we deal with puts lockers in and also 2nd battery system. We are limited in space and it took quite a bit of finagling to get all that in the space we had. The battery we designed it around is the Interstate MT7-75DT. So any battery of that size would work.The original battery tray we made was for an Optima Red Top. People stuck larger batteries into the tray, but we did not support it as such.

If you really want your aux battery to be the larger group 31, the easiest would probably be to swap the functionality of the batteries. Use an isolated battery post and attached all the vehicle wiring that normally goes to the starting battery to that, then run a large battery cable over to the 2nd battery. So now you use the 2nd battery only as starting, then use the group 31 upgrade tray and large battery and designate that one as the house / aux battery. Little bit of extra wiring, but not that complicated.

Original Slee tray was design for a group 34 battery, I believe. That being said, I just picked up an X2Power 27F AGM and did a test fit in my Slee tray (original). First, I have already relocated my power steering reservoir. Second, I used some rubber strips on the bottom of the tray to raise the battery enough to clear the tray mounting bolt so it doesn't puncture the battery. Then to check clearance, I put a sheet of printer paper over the top and closed the lid. Figured that if there was any interference, it would show up on the white paper as creases or dirt marks. Opened the hood to a clean sheet of paper, no interference.

So, a group 27F battery, specifically the X2Power AGM, will fit. Looking at battery dimensions, a group 24 and likely a group 31 would also fit. For the longer batteries, the key is to shim the battery up to clear the bottom tray mounting bolt. Low profile button head bolt helps clearance.

The new 2nd battery tray and compressor mount was developed since most people that we deal with puts lockers in and also 2nd battery system. We are limited in space and it took quite a bit of finagling to get all that in the space we had. The battery we designed it around is the Interstate MT7-75DT. So any battery of that size would work.The original battery tray we made was for an Optima Red Top. People stuck larger batteries into the tray, but we did not support it as such.

If you really want your aux battery to be the larger group 31, the easiest would probably be to swap the functionality of the batteries. Use an isolated battery post and attached all the vehicle wiring that normally goes to the starting battery to that, then run a large battery cable over to the 2nd battery. So now you use the 2nd battery only as starting, then use the group 31 upgrade tray and large battery and designate that one as the house / aux battery. Little bit of extra wiring, but not that complicated.

That's an idea I hadn't even considered. And might be the best way to address that concern.

Thanks!

If you really want to maximize battery reserves, go with the cyclonic airbox. Then you can fit (2) group 31's and a 3rd starting battery where the AHC pump resides. :)

@CappyKD 's LX:

20130817_112125-jpg.794119

I found out today that, with a little modification to the to the new Slee tray, a group 65 will fit easily, and a group 27 will fit if you lay it on it's side. The group 27 actually fit mounted on it's bottom, but the posts were too close to the hood for my liking. These were both the Batteries Plus X2 batteries. Just had to cut off the tab for the hold down and add something to fill in the area that's 3/4" low. You definitely lose the option to mount the compressor, but I have no use for the compressor there. If anybody sees any reason that I should not go with the group 27 on it's side, please let me know. I have until tomorrow to exchange it for the group 65 if I want. Group 27 is 90 ah, 65 is 74 ah.

IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG

Great idea! There's zero problem operating an SLA or AGM battery on its side.

Great idea! There's zero problem operating an SLA or AGM battery on its side.
Thanks for confirming this. I thought that it was ok for AGM batteries to be operated on their side, but couldn't find where anybody on this site had done it. The batteries plus site also says it can be operated on it's side, so I should be good to go! Thanks to all for the replies and advice.

You guys got a square airbox, interesting.

You guys got a square airbox, interesting.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why they did that. The cyclonic filter has a number of benefits, including more room for a second battery. However, the cost of getting the parts from overseas to retrofit a US spec cruiser is pretty high for what you get. I thought about doing it but just couldn't justify the cost relative to the benefits.

Finally something we have that you guys want. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom