2L to 3B swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Have a 2L powered 4Runner. Someone is selling a 3B near me that needs a rebuild (200psi on one cylinder). Will the 3B bolt up to the L series bellhousing? Worth the swap? I know anything is better then a 2L.

Probably not. For one the transmission family’s are probably different. I’m guessing your T4R has a G series transmission which can be upgraded to a W56 series or R150 series — while (I think) 3B’s came with full blown H55’s, typically used for 1HZ’s and such - and they’re just totally apples and oranges. Not to mention, even if it was easy that’s a lot of work for an engine that makes a similar amount of power. I personally would just ride the 2L for what is is, maybe add a modest cooled-turbo to it and enjoy it until it dies. At which point, maybe swap for a 3L, 5L

I’m a huge 3B fan, it’s a great amazing engine. I’m swapping one myself. However, you must remember that the 3B is a industrial purpose built engine, fully dressed it weighs 700 pounds roughly. Remember that the Landcruiser is more heavy duty than a 4 runner and putting a engine of such weight and size isn’t a problem….. 4 runners are small and the engine bay is small, you might expect there to be some clearance issues.

Though 3Bs have been used for years in many different place's and trucks, Parts availability is horrendous, and rebuild kits are very expensive, it just doesn’t make sense.

If I were you, for a 4 runner, I would install a Volkswagen 1.9 TDI, I believe they are mechanical and easy to find and install.

However, it has been done before. If it’s cheap enough, I say go for it, 3B for the win.

Hmm okay thanks for the quick responses guys! Hearing this I might pass on the motor. He wants $500 for it and I don’t even know where to go for rebuild parts. I’ll stick with the 2L a little longer. It’s running in the low 300s for cylinder pressure so I know it’s pretty worn and tired too. I’ve been looking at those OM617 swaps too.

Hmm okay thanks for the quick responses guys! Hearing this I might pass on the motor. He wants $500 for it and I don’t even know where to go for rebuild parts. I’ll stick with the 2L a little longer. It’s running in the low 300s for cylinder pressure so I know it’s pretty worn and tired too. I’ve been looking at those OM617 swaps too.
At 500 bucks I would buy it for fun. Where are you located?

Okay do you have a link to the ad? I live in Kelowna area and need 3B parts.

I know I’m late to the party but want to add my two cents anyway :p

I am a 3B lover – hater. It’s a great engine in the sense that it’s bulletproof, but it’s a terrible engine on a dyno chart, Parts availability is not good, and its louder than a tractor when you’re driving around trying to reach freeway speed.

It’s still a neat little engine, but I think Toyota asked it to do too much (Such as power a 60 series landcruiser).

If I could do it over, I would have bought a diesel LandCruiser with ANY other engine.
I’m stuck with the one I’ve got, so I would like to turbo it someday, and I have a spare 3B for when it finally buys the farm.

I own vehicles with both engines. It's not worth the effort to try to convert the 2L to a 3B. (I converted my HJ45 Troopy from an H to a 3B and the amount of effort was not really worth it. If I didn't already own the 3B I would have installed a V8.) The entire drivetrain would require modification. The 2L transmission does not bolt up to the 3B and I doubt a reasonable adapter could be fabricated. If you decide to install a transmission that's compatible with a 3B you will need to change your rear axle too. h42/55 transmissions + tcase have offset rear diffs. The transmissions behind the 2L have a center diff in the rear. It's not worth the aggravation. A newer engine in the L series will be a lot easier.

I own vehicles with both engines. It's not worth the effort to try to convert the 2L to a 3B. (I converted my HJ45 Troopy from an H to a 3B and the amount of effort was not really worth it. If I didn't already own the 3B I would have installed a V8.) The entire drivetrain would require modification. The 2L transmission does not bolt up to the 3B and I doubt a reasonable adapter could be fabricated. If you decide to install a transmission that's compatible with a 3B you will need to change your rear axle too. h42/55 transmissions + tcase have offset rear diffs. The transmissions behind the 2L have a center diff in the rear. It's not worth the aggravation. A newer engine in the L series will be a lot easier.
Word

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom