2L-T Compensator/Injection Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I just finished a really nice road trip with the family from Nevada up to Salt Lake for CruiserFest, over to Moab, and Ouray, Colorado. I didn't burn a quart of oil on the trip, but I did get a little stressed at one point.

We started out our trip to the Alpine Loop in Ouray, Colorado @ 7700' at the Corkscrew Entrance. She climbed right on up to12,730' at Hurricane Pass, and then to 12,960 feet at California Pass without issues (that was done in 4 Low, of course).

On the way down from California Pass, she started to blow smoke out of the tail pipe (quite a bit even going downhill. It could of passed for an old mosquito truck). We took a little rest at Animas Forks and I checked the oil quantity and it was full. As we proceed up to Cinnamon Pass and then she really started blowing smoke and I started getting worried so we cut the trip short and just headed to Silverton for lunch. I was expecting repairs. So I just kept my fingers crossed for the remainder of the trip.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear in 4 LOW, between 1000 - 2300 rpm smoke out the tailpipe was constant while ascending at 10,000' plus.

After we started down hill to Durango, she stopped smoking for the remainder of the trip.

If anyone has any ideas what may be going on with the engine at altitude, I'd really like some help.

Too rich, too cold fuel, something going on with the injection pump at altitude???

Last edited:
Its just altitude. My Hilux 2LT had the boost compensator and I would have to actually adjust it at altitude. I would ratchet the star wheel down so the extra injection wouldn't come in unless I was at full boost. A snorkel install helped with more cold air volume but at 10k any diesel is going to start getting smokey. You should've seen my Troopy at 10k....looked like a damn steam locomotive! You've been taking proper care of your motor, no need to worry about some smoke up high. Sounds like a great road trip.

Thanks for that Mookies!! I feel good I don't need any extra maintenance, but a little cheated that I wussed out of continuing the Loop when I saw all that smoke, but at the time, I thought it was the prudent thing to do. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom