2L engine rebuild failed, compression loss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there fellas, my battle rig is an Land cruiser 70 series (LJ70) 1985, with a non-turbo 2L diesel engine 4-speed manual gearbox (G40)
since last year i'm restoring it, including the engine (Incredibly it had the original pistons from plant), due to the wear i decided to rebuild with alternative spare parts according to the catalog, reputable brands in my opinion. Before doing the rebuild the engine lost its compression considerably, was burned the oil and lost power.

2L.png

The following parts was used to assembly the piston
Piston: Teikin 2L piston kit / 46240
Rings: TP Ring kit / 13011-54060 / according to reference
All the work was done on the liners according to the piston used
1658547196714.png

My problem became after 5 months(5000km), same problems of compression and oil burning, blowing out oil from dipstick so i decided to change the rings brand (probably some bad luck factory failed :hmm: )
So i put some NPR Rings (13011-54060) and failed again
again for the last time I disassembled the entire engine with my trusted mechanic in search of the problem, we found excessive carbon on the top of the pistons, the pistons seems like the 1st TOP ring didn't work properly, we decided to measure the ring GAP passed the tolerance inside the cylinder and was it ok✅
1658547724635.png

please note this behavior of the rings on the pistons
7254c43c-52b3-4fc4-ab44-fd0226298a6d.jpg

I compared the ring sizes and the piston depth
e4747ce7-2af8-4ce4-8ab8-a665c06b0a56.jpg

one of my mechanic's diagnoses is to remove the dipstick while the engine is running, if the oil comes out of the oil dipstick, the engine it's lossing compression and there's a problem in the combustion chamber

b6ad691f-d0cf-40bb-b5f9-8bc15cbd679d.jpg

a8ef0f98-a296-4171-ae58-593f74b50bd5.jpg

I decided to try the same rings on another brand of pistons and the error was always the same, so instead of changing rings I decided to change the pistons to ALFIN version (TEIKIN), but this time using TP rings

The truth is that I have no idea what the error would be, if you could help me or if someone had the same problem
the engine keeps losing the power and blow up oil through dipstick.
an oil burn on a long drive can be disastrous for the rest of the engine

Greetings from Nicaragua :cheers:

I put new cylinder liners, even when I open the engine it still had the pattern on the walls

New cylinder head, included all brand new valves and valve guides. I have checked the injection pump, but not the injectors. if i solve this oil problem i will.
this engine will gonna give me a headache :confused:

junta de cabeza?
Yes i rebuilt the whole engine with new parts except the injectors
i heard before the problem of cylinder head cracks of this engine (that's why i changed the cylinder head)

but never this problem with the after market pistons, in fact I had never had a similar problem rebuilding an engine (3L and 2H engines still run perfectly)
That's why I'm seriously thinking of spending time and money..

Last edited:
liner were semi-finish or finish? Some finish liner can be chrome plated which aren’t compatible with some rings

Did you take a compression reading, leak down test?

Did you make sure all clearance were good with these aftermarket piston, including top piston to bloc surface.
Was the bloc check for distorsion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom