2H cylinder head Differences (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
problem is that my engine is 2h (-86) and cylinder head is cracked
and my friend has earlier model 2h cylinder head (-83) but are there any differences?
can i change older head to new motor?:confused:
thanks.

I know there is 2 diferent head gaskets .. pre 85 and post ..

Quite right David!

But actually the change took effect in November 1984 - just to be picky :hillbilly:

Can anyone explain how 2 engines can share the same head but require different head gaskets?

(By the way - I'm just the "brainless messenger". I don't even own an HJ-anything and have no experience of H or 2H engines.)

Perhaps the head gaskets are different thicknesses to suit different compression ratios?

:cheers:

Last edited:
Quite right David!

But actually the change took effect in November 1984 - just to be picky :hillbilly:

View attachment 361376

View attachment 361377

Can anyone explain how 2 engines can share the same head but require different head gaskets?

(By the way - I'm just the "brainless EPC messenger". I don't even own an HJ-anything and have no experience of H or 2H engines.)

Perhaps the head gaskets are different thicknesses to suit different compression ratios?

:cheers:

I think the gasket just got upgraded and the new one fits old and new.
cheers,
jan

the metal ring around the cilinders are diferent between both head gasets and that's coz are 2 diferent sleeve sets for same 2H engine .. as maybe you think pre 11/84 :hillbilly: and post 11/84

Askme how I know ..

1985 also corresponds roughly with the time they changed the 3B from composite to MLS construction head gaskets.

1985 also corresponds roughly with the time they changed the 3B from composite to MLS construction head gaskets.

And I wonder if that is related to the removal of cylinder liners from 3B engines which occurred around 1985 too!

Edit: Ooops. Looking at more data today (Sept 2013) I see liners were still in use till Aug 88 on a BJ60 (3B) and Jan 1990 on a BJ74 (13BT)! <shrug>

Last edited:
I am currently fitting my 2H with a head gasket and am noticing the coolant ports on the passenger side of the motor are blocked by the gasket?
The old one I am replacing did the same.. Is this correct? I have never had overheating issues but don't understand why you would block flow of coolant to the head

fullsizeoutput_13e3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom