2f power? is it possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok here is the scoop, i've got a 82 fj60 with a 2f that has a lot of miles 192k is there any hope? ??? this past weekend i pulled some waverunners to a local lake i dont think i did over 55 other than going down hill and i wont even comment on the up hill part of it, i guess my question to all of you is how can i get more power out of my 2f? it has a weber 32/36 and 31 10/50's and i really don't care about the towing end of it because i hardly ever tow but even on the highway it is not all that great. how about advancing the timing or somthing like that. i hear a few people say that there 2f runs strong with a lot of power but i am not seeing it in mine, anyway thanks for the help.

I'd start with a compression check. You don't say what the oil pressure is, but of it is low, with that many miles and the previous maintainance unknown, the bearings may be excessively worn. You really don't want to try to horse up a worn out engine. There are a couple of ways to see if poor compression is rings or valves, you need to determine that. If everything is ok up to this point, the biggest gain in power I got was from a HEI and a carb rebuild. Header will help.
OK I'm done, now you V8 guys jump in.
Degnol ;)

will have to try the compression check and go from there. thanks for the advice so far. i havent put a gauge on the block itself for the oil pressure but the gauge in the cab stays just above low point in the middle if that makes sense. i am sure the motor is getting tired though but i guess i was just hoping for a miracle cure.

Get ri of the WEBER, I have a 38mm model and I hate it (I do a lot of rock crawling though and it sucks at angles)

Your distributor is fine, it is the well waterproofed electronic model so I would not touch it.

Think about a header and a rebuild, mill the head for some more compression (after rebuilding) and put a better cam in (I have heard good things about Man-I-payalots cams).

I just rebuilt my head on my 213,000 mile 2F (No milling though) and noticed a differance in power idle and mileage.

I reread my post and it is somewhat confusing. If you have low compression, it could be as simple as a valve job to bring it back up to snuff. If, on the otherhand the compression rings or cylinders are worn, a valve job won't help it.
For lowend torque, you can't beat the stock Aisan Carb, or the 32/36 webber. The 38/38 is better for high rpm as it will dump more gas. I've not known or heard of many people who have got the 38/38 to perform well overall.
Get the basics checked out, then go to the tune-up basics.

I've got a '40 with the '74 F1/2 engine and my oil pressure gauge is always pegged on high, but, as I hear, they are not reliable. I'm installing an oilfilter mount that has the receptacle
for a mechanical op gauge, just to check.
It is a tractor motor, but capable of a reasonable amount of power.
Oh, you might check to see if your secondary is opening properly.
GL
Ed :)

thanks for all of the input at least it will steer me in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom