(2F) Keeping lifters clean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have my FJ60's cylinder head off for a refresh and have taken advantage of the open space to do some much needed cleaning. The pushrod cover gasket is in dire need of replacement, but with the pushrods out I'm worried about getting gunk down on the lifters/cam. Is this a valid concern? Does anybody have any suggestions how to approach this? Maybe a shop vac with a high velocity tip on it would be enough to suck out any grime that might fall down during removal?

While we're at it, for a relatively high mileage engine, is it beneficial or worthwhile to clean out any other internal passages that I can see?

Thanks

The inside of push rod cover will likely be coated with a bit of sludge. Clean all that off after its removed. The pushrods can easily be taken out (and kept in order) and the holes in the block plugged with rag bits to prevent stuff falling in them - then clean the block face that's likely goopy too. Old cover gasket if it's stuck to the block can be scraped off too.
The hazard is dislodging sludge that will end up in the oil and possibly migrate somewhere to block an oil passage

Thanks OSS. The rods are out and the deck is clean, my concern is grime and deteriorated gasket falling directly onto the lifters when I pull the side cover off.

Everything is wet w oil and sludge inside the pushrod cover. As I recall, the cover comes off without any trauma. The gasket is thin paper like. It's not like grime slalagtites are barely hanging on inside that area

The gasket is thin paper like.

Should be a cork gasket, but sometimes they get over tightened and petrified.

Edited! Sorry, my big mouth spoke out of turn... lifters don’t drop fully in and are always snug up to the horizontal lip of the side of the block behind that cover. Regardless if you knock stuff off... it can’t really go anywhere. I might be able to find pics. Just use a small hand brush and sweep it off. Or the shop vac as you mentioned would be the best bet as you do it.

602551ED-7FFB-4518-A71C-9B17C3C68A1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Edited! Sorry, my big mouth spoke out of turn... lifters don’t drop fully in and are always snug up to the horizontal lip of the side of the block behind that cover. Regardless if you knock stuff off... it can’t really go anywhere. I might be able to find pics. Just use a small hand brush and sweep it off. Or the shop vac as you mentioned would be the best bet as you do it.

View attachment 2557785
so nice and clean

View attachment 2557785

Man what a sight. Whats it like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom