2f install tips and tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried for 3 hours this weekend to get a new-to-me 2f into my 60 with an engine hoist. We got close, but it was about a half inch away from mating to the transfer case - almost like the output shaft wasn't going into the pilot bearing. I've searched the forums, but couldn't find info on whether to pull the front mounts off, mate it, then put the front mounts on? Does that work? Any tips or tricks would be welcomed - gonna try again this weekend.

Also, the motor was apparently a non-AC model, and my 60 has AC, so a different passenger side front engine mount. Do I need different rubber mounts too?

Tried for 3 hours this weekend to get a new-to-me 2f into my 60 with an engine hoist. We got close, but it was about a half inch away from mating to the transfer case - almost like the output shaft wasn't going into the pilot bearing. I've searched the forums, but couldn't find info on whether to pull the front mounts off, mate it, then put the front mounts on? Does that work? Any tips or tricks would be welcomed - gonna try again this weekend.

Also, the motor was apparently a non-AC model, and my 60 has AC, so a different passenger side front engine mount. Do I need different rubber mounts too?
Attach the transmission and transfer case to the 2F outside the truck and install it as a single unit.

So you're having trouble getting the Transmission to mate to the Bellhousing ?

You’re trying to get the camel through the eye of the needle. I think you need to pull the transmission and bolt it all up and then drop it in together.

If you can’t bolt them all together first, then install, the next best option is to get the transmission + transfer to the ground (on a transmission jack) then install the engine by itself without the transmission in the way. Then when the motor is bolted up (and rear supported) — then mate the transmission to the engine.

The way you’re trying to do it is much too difficult if not impossible

So you're having trouble getting the Transmission to mate to the Bellhousing ?

It's most likely the input shaft nose is slightly too large for the pilot bearing, particularly if you're using an aftermarket one. Use some emery cloth to take the snout of the input shaft down a thousandth or so. Ideally, you would have another pilot bearing to test fit and make sure it's a slip fit.

And DON'T try and draw the Bellhousing and Trans together using the bolts - you risk breaking one of the ears on the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom