2F head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone know if a 2f head will work on a f engine... trying to get an engine running and it will not start... PO said he rebuilt with a 2f head? is that the problem? Has not run in a while (not sure how long) has spark, and compression, and will pop off if you pour gas in the carb, but will not stay running.... Just want to make sure it will work and that is not my problem....

any ideas?

A.P.

Well if it will run when you pour gas down the carb, but will not keep running, that would tend to make me think about fuel delivery issues....

2F heads can be run on an F engine, provided the F engine rocker oiling system is retained and the manifold studs work with the manifolds. Not a deal breaker.

Just a hunch, but I'd guess that in your scenario, someone inadvertently bumped up the timing too far. I'd start by finding #1 TDC compression stroke and checking your distributor timing.

If popping continues, do a compression test and follow up low readings with a 'wet' test.

Hth

Mark A.

*Some* 2F heads will work on *some* F engines, albeit with lowered compression.

What vintage F shortblock and what vintage 2F head did you combine?

Mark...

so how can I tell if the rocker arms are getting oil... right now I got it running, just having some fuel issues so it will not stay running long enough now to see any oil on the rockers.... what will it look like when I get it running... should oil be spashing up on the rockers and valvles if it is working properly?

With the valve cover off and the engine running, you'll get oil to start dripping from the rockers. Also, the fan will start to blow it all over your engine bay and carb, so you'll want to keep a little rag handy to wipe up the mess after you shut things down. I must say, watching the valves dance up and down is a pretty sight. Another thing you'll want to probably do is adjust the valves to the proper specs. I know that when I did that with my engine (sitting for a long time before I got it), it made a big difference.

apeterson said:
well..... I am not sure.... I have not looked at the engine yet... I am buying it from someone... I know it is a 74 F and have no idea what 2F is on it... what do you mean by some will work and some will not?

Pre '68 F engines used siamesed exhaust ports and a deep "bathtub" style combustion chamber. They're pretty much on their own so far as interchanginf anything.

From then until '72 the F engine used a flattop piston and a closed combustion chamber.
'73 and '74 F engines used an open combustion chamber and a very small dome on the piston.

'75-'80 US variant 2Fs used an open chamber and a domed piston.

'81 and later 2Fs used a closed chamber and a flat top piston.

A '73-'74 F head will be a bolt on swap to any of the 2F, producing more compression on the '75-'80 blocks.

A pre '73 F head will swap to the later 2F engines once the rocker arm oiling is addressed. There will be piston/head interference on the early 2Fs

You can install an early 2F head on a late 2F engine. You will loose compression.

You can install any 2F head on the pre-'73 F engines. Again, you will loose compression, especially if you install an early 2F head with the open chamber.

Mark...

Thanks.... am I wrong in thinking I have a f engine with a 2 F head..... an I a Nobb and dont know what I am talking about (very very new to this)

so I got compression and it will start... once I get the fuel thing figured out.... so if it runs am I okay... or should I be worried about something??? I dont want to destroy my engine if there is something I should be doing differently..

My engine block is Blue, does that mean anything or did someone just paint it.
I also have a 4 speed trans. and I though before I got this that every 2f came with a 4 speed and all f came with a 3 speed... am I wrong here to...

sorry so many questions.... I am learning and reading alot.... thanks!!

Mark W said:
Pre '68 F engines used siamesed exhaust ports and a deep "bathtub" style combustion chamber. They're pretty much on their own so far as interchanginf anything.
Mark...

I'm not sure about the above....I've got an early F (off a '64) that I bolted up a '73 head to. This allows me to use the later model carb intake (double barrel) and improved exhaust manifold. I've got it running fairly well...don't have compression numbers as I don't have a compression tool. I think I have a little bit of a vacuum leak, but other than that, it idles and drives fine.

rjcruiser said:
I'm not sure about the above....I've got an early F (off a '64) that I bolted up a '73 head to. This allows me to use the later model carb intake (double barrel) and improved exhaust manifold. I've got it running fairly well...don't have compression numbers as I don't have a compression tool. I think I have a little bit of a vacuum leak, but other than that, it idles and drives fine.

Sorry, I was thinking about swapping the bathtub head onto anything else. If you swapp the manifolds and other affected components along with the head, then you can update the earlier Fs with the later F heads. It'll boost your compression some too.

Mark...

How does a late F/2F oil it's rockers? There's no oil tube or union like my earlier Fs.

'74 and on oil the rockers via a passage from the #3 cam bearing, through the top of the block, over to the head bolt by the #5 spark plug via a passage in the head gasket, up around the head bolt into the head, then via a drilled boss to the base of the rocker arm pedestal just ahead of #5 plug and up through the pedestal to the rocker arm assembly.

Mark...

Thanks, Mark!

IDave said:
Thanks, Mark!

Jeeze Dave. that's just what I told you in a more-confusing, less professional, un-technical way.;)

Ed

Degnol said:
Jeeze Dave. that's just what I told you in a more-confusing, less professional, un-technical way.;)

Ed

Thank you, too, Ed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom