2F FJ45 that wont run right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I recently purchased an 78 FJ45 that had been sitting for 3-4 years. The PO drove it to storage and said it ran really well. I am just trying to get the thing to start, idle and be able to press the gas pedal and it not bog out.

When I got it to run after many attempts and some quick start. It ran pretty well. I could take it through all the rev ranges and it was fine. Then i decided to take it for a little drive and soon as I gave it a foot of gas it just bogged out and died.

It will now hold a rough idle and soon as you give it gas it just bogs out. It seems to really hesitate when you give it more fuel. It gets fuel and there is lots of spark.

It has new NGK plugs, fuel lines, chassis-starter and battery grounds wires, fresh fuel.

This thing is pretty simplistic....but I am thinking it must be a carburetor problem or a timing issue.

Before I attempt a carb rebuild or anything else. I just wanted to see what some other 40 series MUD owners have to say.

Thanks,
Phil

You should get a vacuum gauge and see what kind of vacuum it is pulling at idle.

I would guess either vacuum leak or accelerator pump in the carb.

3 to 4 years?

did you drain the tank, replace the fuel filter and run carb cleaner through the lines?

Serious, start with the simple stuff, getting it fresh, after that, worry about the mechanical items. Your carb is more than likely full of junk.

I too was suspect of a vacuum leak. Accelerator pump...? hmmm i really need to get a 40 series FSM.

Slowerthanu

Covered all the basics before i tried to get it started. Flushed out the fuel tank, filled up with fresh gas+ fuel sysytem cleaner, replaced all the steel fuel lines, ran carb cleaner through it when it would rev nicely and it really needed new spark plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom