2F elec distributor for Aust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dirtyrig4x4.com
Hiya all

Im been reading IH8mud from adelaide in australia for ages now, thought id better post something...

Im chasing an electronic distributor for my 84 2f 60 series....i believe that elect ignition was standard up your way, The australian released vehicle only had points ( right through till part way through the 3f in the 1st 80 series)

Whilst i can use a points replacement system , id prefer an elecky dizzy pref a HIE unit ( HIE 's over here were few and far between and worth a fortune too) donor vehicles like the chevvy werent much of an optio for us

So if anyone has a distributor that would love a holiday down under, id love to hear from you.....or if you have any other ideas!!!!
Cheers Yoda

Go GM HEI. If you put that in the search field, I posted a brief description of how I did it on my FJ40 LX. Drop me a line if you want to chat about it, I am in Kensington.

Cheers,

Josh

Yoda-You are on the right track. The FJ60 distributor is just what you want. Since I don't think your trucks had EGR, you'll need a different advance curve than the USA stock distributor. Find a distributor + coil/ignitor. Then send the whole thing to Jim Chenoweth at TLC Performance. He can rebuild the distributor for you, and reset the advance to be more appropriate to your truck with no smog controls. I thought his price for this service was very reasonable.

You will also need a side cover from a USA FJ60 that has the "dent" for the large cap distributor. It is available new from Toyota for about $75 us.

I would not do a GM HEI. I have heard as many bad things as good, and I doubt parts will be readily availabe down under.

G'day Yoda,

Your 2F should have the dent on the valve guide cover from 1981-on: mine does. Cruiserdrew is right about the GM HEI, they do have some issues- but the power is phenomenal. I would much prefer to stick with factory, as Toyota stuff is much better, but it will set you back a few quid to go factory. The GM HEI is, however, widely available here as they are the dissy from the newer Holden Comodore 3.8 litre. You can order them online from a bloke in Sydders, or from the performance shop on Main North, next to the Cat dealer.

My US Spec 1983 FJ40 had electric dissy, and it had a very nice power curve with all of the smog rubbish removed. However, I have had my GM HEI in my 1984 FJ40 LX for just under 20,000 kilometres now, and I am happy with it as well.

Cheers,

Josh

Patches--How much is a "quid"? You may be right that an HEI unit is more cost effective.

I have bought several large cap electronic distributors for $50-$75 and the matching coil/ignitor for about $50. THe re-curving service is roughly $125. Shipping to Austrailia would cost a bit as well. I also carry a spare pick up, but I have never heard of one going bad.

I have seen a couple of HEI units with a dead "module", but new modules are a dime a dozen in any parts store here, so easy to carry spares.

I'd still recommend the stock Toyota stuff which is first rate.

While I don't have a HEI GM unit on my rig, I know many people that have them on their GM rigs. I think the Toyota dizzy is a better unit. More reliable, WAY more waterproof. While here in the states, the parts are cheaper for the HEI, I find my friends having to put in parts when I haven't had to touch my dizzy since I've had the rig (12 years). Did I mention the waterproofness of this unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom