2F and 3FE engine specs/details/questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background:
I just found the guy that bought my dads rolled 1992 FJ80 and I bought it back from him because it was cheap and still all there. I also have 2 FJ60's, one which has been hit and is about to become my project.

I am thinking of putting the 3FE EFI and or head also on my 2F block.
(I have researched this and know it works but would like some more engine specifics).

Questions:
Is the 2F head the same as the 3F head?

Will the 3FE manifolds bolt on my 2F head?

Can I use 2F FJ60 headers on my 3FE head?

where is the stroke longer in the 2F? (the crank, connecting rods, or both)?

Are the pistons the same in the 2F and 3FE?

If I put the 3FE head on the 2F block which valve lifters and connecting rods should I use?

Will this change the compression ratio? (raise or lower or same)?

Does anyone know the HP___@___RPM and Torque___@___RPM that this combination would produce?

What is the red-line for the stock 3FE engine?

Other misc. questions:
Are the front diff. gears in fj60-62 reverse cut?

Does anyone know of any info. or adapters for putting in duel 4-speed transmissions?

Do you have to put both transmissions in reverse to go in reverse?

Any thoughts on the automatic, good or bad?

Any thoughts on the full time transfercase if used with manual hub front axle?

I know this is a lot but any help would be great, and short answers are fine.

Thank you.

meigsrock said:
Background:
I just found the guy that bought my dads rolled 1992 FJ80 and I bought it back from him because it was cheap and still all there. I also have 2 FJ60's, one which has been hit and is about to become my project.

I am thinking of putting the 3FE EFI and or head also on my 2F block.
(I have researched this and know it works but would like some more engine specifics).
Questions:
Is the 2F head the same as the 3F head?

Some years, yes.

Will the 3FE manifolds bolt on my 2F head?

Yes, if its a 85-later 2F head, or a replacment head.

Can I use 2F FJ60 headers on my 3FE head?

The header will bolt to the head.

where is the stroke longer in the 2F? (the crank, connecting rods, or both)?

Stroke is in the crank.

Are the pistons the same in the 2F and 3FE?

No.

If I put the 3FE head on the 2F block which valve lifters and connecting rods should I use?

2F.

Will this change the compression ratio? (raise or lower or same)?

It will raise the CR slightly. The 3FE head has a slightly smaller chamber.

What is the red-line for the stock 3FE engine?

It's drawn on the tach at 4500.

Are the front diff. gears in fj60-62 reverse cut?

No.

Does anyone know of any info. or adapters for putting in duel 4-speed transmissions?

Never seen it.

Any thoughts on the automatic, good or bad?

Hate 'em. Waste of power and fuel. (flame on)

Any thoughts on the full time transfercase if used with manual hub front axle?

There is a conversion kit available to allow part-time operation.

Couple of additions to Jims comments:

As he mentions, the stroke difference is in the crank. It HAS to be. Rod length does affect stroke. But the rods are different too. Shorter and therefore lighter. But yo can't use them in the 2F block or with the 2F crank.

I don't *think* that the FJ60 headers will fit with the 3FE intake. Not positive, but that's my first reaction.
The 3FE head has a cutout in the top of the intake port to match the fuel injector. While it *may* fit without this cutout the dispersal of the fuelwill be affected. You could probably (carefully) cut this in the 2F head.

Use the 3FE head with the injection sytem. Better performance and simpler.

Dual tranny setups are always going to be a custom approach. Probably best left to he buggy guys to be honest. (You only have to put one or the other in reverse btw.)

If you leave your hubs locked, then the full time transfer case operation is the same as it wasin the original rig. If you unlock them you will have to leave the diff locked to get power to the ground.

But shoving both of them in reverse would be neat..

Actually, just having one in reverse and going through the gears in the other would be cool too ;)

I am curious to know why you would want 2 transmissions..

Just another low gearing approach. Two SM420s in line for example... ;)

It is not uncommon up here to find a fourspeed behind an automatic in a moose buggy.

Mark...

thanks for the help

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I was tossing around the idea of the duel 4-speed's because i could make the housing adapter, I would just need a coupler for the two splines made, and if possible a shorter front and rear tranny shafts to cut down on length. If I could get the shafts shorter then the whole assy. should not be too much longer than the automatic. But I need to take some measurements. I am also going to increase the W.B. by about 1 foot in the rear.

If i did this I could keep the stronger 3.73:1 R&P or use some 4.11:1 gears I have. (no extra cost to re gear for biger tires).

By puting on 36 inch or so tires I would still have a range of low gears and 4x4-low gears as well as an overdrive gear or two because of the change in tire size. (leave one box in 2nd or 3rd and shift the other whle driving around town, then on the HWY shift the other into 4th for OD).

I saw that Marlin crawler finally made a doubler transfer case for the L.C. but it is running $1500-1900 + shipping to Alaska, depending on gearing you want.

I am not afraid of doing fab work and have the tools and know some people who can help if I get into trouble. You can pick up a used 4-speed for around $150. I just need to find out what a spline coupler would cost.

I might be looking for a pre 1985 4-speed and front axle from fj60 or fj62 in the near future.

Are the 3FE pistons taller to increase the compression or is the boost from the fj60's 7.8 CR to the fj62's 8.1 CR all because of the head chanber size?

Last edited:
Mark,
How well does that 4-speed work behind that automatic?

do you have to put the auto in N to shift the manual?

The manual is used to select a range and then left there. Just like with your T/C high/low. The auto does all the shifting.

The pistons in the 3FE are shorter. Just like the rods. It it to accomodate the shorter deck height of the block.

Mark...

2f-3fe engine details and questions

I have posted some details, calculations in another post, and I have a few more questions.

See 3FE better than 2f,
meigsrock-post #30

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=81713

I will keep updating the info in the other post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom