295/70/18 Toyo R/T Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
After years of respectable BFG performance, great satisfaction with Toyo M/T’s and slight disappointment with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my last 200 build, I opted to try the new Toyo R/T Trail on my current 200 build.

Admittedly it’s early and all tires are their best when new, but my early impression is very good!

Noise- No more than BFG KO2’s which I have run on a 200’s for the past ~7 years and quieter than a couple off sets.

Ride-They are stiff as expected and designed, but seem slightly more compliant than E Rated BFG’s.

Drive-Really seems to track and respond as your input dictates. I wasn’t happy with the Nitto Terra Grappler drive, not terrible, but they seemed to follow/pull any undulating surface more than I thought they should and more than BFG KO2’s.

E446BE97-3EC3-4801-A8C4-FF47F4E663F1.jpeg
B961815E-1408-48CA-969E-BB78EA6197FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you mean 295/70, or 285/75?

295/75 is not a common size.
Good catch!! You are correct!, 295/70/18, I considered 285/75/18, that is what I ran on my prior built 200, but opted for the 295.

I was checking the availability in other sizes and had that on my mind or phone typing is always a challenge for my thumbs!

Looks great . How’s it ride and sound?

After years of respectable BFG performance, great satisfaction with Toyo M/T’s and slight disappointment with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my last 200 build, I opted to try the new Toyo R/T Trail on my current 200 build.

Admittedly it’s early and all tires are their best when new, but my early impression is very good!

Noise- No more than BFG KO2’s which I have run on a 200’s for the past ~7 years and quieter than a couple off sets.

Ride-They are stiff as expected and designed, but seem slightly more compliant than E Rated BFG’s.

Drive-Really seem to track and respond as your input dictates. I wasn’t happy with the Nitto Terra Grappler drive, not terrible, but they seemed to follow/pull any undulating surface more than I thought they should and more than BFG KO2’s.

View attachment 3244964View attachment 3244965
Wow - great looking truck! Are you running spacers? How did the tires fit?

Post some moar pics!

Looks great . How’s it ride and sound?
Thanks!

Great, as quite and smooth as KO2’s, quieter than a couple sets and those are the least aggressive tire I run on Cruisers/Trucks.

I was worried about the tracking I experienced on the Nitto Terra Grapplers from day 1 and it is not present with these tires.

Wow - great looking truck! Are you running spacers? How did the tires fit?

Post some moar pics!
Thanks!

Yes 1.25” wheel spacers.

The tires fit well, there is lots of suspension set up in this truck.

Hey! Nice, been waiting to see these on MUD. The look really nice too with an integrated shoulder lug.

How are they in wet? (If already after break in obv).

Hey! Nice, been waiting to see these on MUD. The look really nice too with an integrated shoulder lug.

How are they in wet? (If already after break in obv).
Thanks!

Yes, I really like the shoulder design, I think that is what gives Toyo M/T’s and KO2’s such a great look and I think it will make these fairly popular.

I Haven’t driven them in enough rain/wet weather to get a great feel, I hope to soon!

I was worried about the tracking I experienced on the Nitto Terra Grapplers from day 1 and it is not present with these tires.

Surprised Nitto is still slanging the NTGs. They're a vintage design from early 2000s with a compound update probably in 2010ish, with the G2 designation. Still a vintage by today's competitive set so not surprised by your poor experience. I had a set of NTGs on my 2006 LX470 that served well in the day, but doesn't come close to the modern stuff.

Surprised Nitto is still slanging the NTGs. They're a vintage design from early 2000s with a compound update probably in 2010ish, with the G2 designation. Still a vintage by today's competitive set so not surprised by your poor experience. I had a set of NTGs on my 2006 LX470 that served well in the day, but doesn't come close to the modern stuff.

Weird to me though that it went on 4R if i recall as well as now wildpeaks are oem for TRD Tundras or sequoias (forget which).

Must be a cost thing?
Although wild peaks get good reviews.

But ford and jeep got custom ko2s. Haha. Domestics gonna domestic i guess.

Weird to me though that it went on 4R if i recall as well as now wildpeaks are oem for TRD Tundras or sequoias (forget which).

Must be a cost thing?
Although wild peaks get good reviews.

But ford and jeep got custom ko2s. Haha. Domestics gonna domestic i guess.

Wasn't aware that NTGs were fitted OEM on the 4R? What year was that?

Yes, multiple OEMs have spec'd Wildpeaks. Great great tire in my experience that is up there with the best. Multiple variants of the G-wagon have this as factory too so I don't see it as a cost savings.

Wasn't aware that NTGs were fitted OEM on the 4R? What year was that?

Yes, multiple OEMs have spec'd Wildpeaks. Great great tire in my experience that is up there with the best. Multiple variants of the G-wagon have this as factory too so I don't see it as a cost savings.

Apparently some years TRD Pro got them in P loads. It may have been a rona logistics special? Some quick googling seems to confirm this, but im pretty sure ive seen it IRL.

Great to see these in the wild on a 200. I really wanted a set of these or the new KO3's but I wasn't willing to wait until Discount Tire could get their hands on them. Keep us up to date how they age.

Drive-Really seem to track and respond as your input dictates. I wasn’t happy with the Nitto Terra Grappler drive, not terrible, but they seemed to follow/pull any undulating surface more than I thought they should and more than BFG KO2’s.

View attachment 3244964View attachment 3244965

They look amazing. I'm in the market for those but cannot find them in stock anywhere. Where did you find them?

More pics when you have the time. I got a fever and the only medicine is more 295/70/18

They look amazing. I'm in the market for those but cannot find them in stock anywhere. Where did you find them?
I got them through a tire distributor in Alabama, arrived in one day.

Try a local quality tire shop. If you are close or familiar, call 49 tire in Moab, there is a big Toyo distributor (I think in Grand Junction) that supplies their and a lot of other independent shops Toyo tires. It seems that this level shop/ supplier has access where the Big Chain stores do not at this point.

More pics when you have the time. I got a fever and the only medicine is more 295/70/18
Will do! I plan to get some measurements to compare to my previous build with BP51’s and I will post those as well!

They do seem to be the right size for the modified 200’s!

Those look great and nice rig! I just ordered my wheels (Method, 18", ET25) for my 16 LX and am trying to figure out how much tire a can fit with minimal lift and plastic trimming only, I am hoping 295/70/18 but that might be pushing it...

Any reason for going away from KO2s? I've run those on most of my vehicles and the only other experience is a set of Wildpeaks on my Tacoma. No complaints on the Wildpeaks, but the KO2 is just a better looking tire.

Those look great and nice rig! I just ordered my wheels (Method, 18", ET25) for my 16 LX and am trying to figure out how much tire a can fit with minimal lift and plastic trimming only, I am hoping 295/70/18 but that might be pushing it...

Any reason for going away from KO2s? I've run those on most of my vehicles and the only other experience is a set of Wildpeaks on my Tacoma. No complaints on the Wildpeaks, but the KO2 is just a better looking tire.
Lots of 295/70r18 on LXs

I ran 275/80r18 (35.3 diameter), and 35x10.5r17 (34.7 diameter).

If you need to put a tire underneath, the max seems to be around 34.3"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom