275 65 20 how much trimming? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered some 275/65 20's Geolander G015 (34.3") that will either go on my stock LX wheels or I'll CL a set of Tundra rims. I know I'll have to remove the front mud flaps how much additional trimming will I need to do? I am hoping to run these without spacers if I can. I am hoping when they get here I can convince the guy to sell me either 285/60 for the same price.

Last edited:
The only rubbing I get on my 275/65/20 ridge grapplers is on the passenger side when you cut it all the way in reverse. I didn’t trim anything

7434D019-94A6-4639-871F-A9E7BED45CF9.jpeg

@ahitch
The only rubbing I get on my 275/65/20 ridge grapplers is on the passenger side when you cut it all the way in reverse. I didn’t trim anything

I may be wrong, but those look like 275/60r20s (33") to me? A 275/65r20 is a much larger tire, functionally just about a "35".

@speyrod
You'll need to trim for sure. Front and back of the wheel well and perhaps a bit of the step/step support bracket. Mudflaps will likely need to come off. Perhaps may even kiss the body mount at the rear of the tire. Not completely sure if they'll clear the upper control arm with stock wheel offset.

@ahitch

I may be wrong, but those look like 275/60r20s (33") to me? A 275/65r20 is a much larger tire, functionally just about a "35".

@speyrod
You'll need to trim for sure. Front and back of the wheel well and perhaps a bit of the step/step support bracket. Mudflaps will likely need to come off. Perhaps may even kiss the body mount at the rear of the tire. Not completely sure if they'll clear the upper control arm with stock wheel offset.
You are correct. My bad. But yeah on Nitto's website it says the 60 is 33"-33.23" depending on ply and the 65 is 34.09".

I have 275/65r20 Falken Wildpeaks. I did do quite a bit of trimming on the liners to the front of the front wheels and removed the mudflaps on the front wheels as well. I still get scraping when braking and doing a left turn. I believe the drivers side wheel rubs the back of the wheel well when getting some brake dive and turning at the same time. I haven't been able to duplicate it when parking it in various positions. I also have 0.75 inch wheel spacers. In retrospect, I think I wonder if the 1.25 inch spacers would have been the better choice.

I also have 0.75 inch wheel spacers. In retrospect, I think I wonder if the 1.25 inch spacers would have been the better choice.

Negative. You're .75" spacers are optimal here. Larger spacers will cause more clearance issues as the tire will swing further front and rear as it turns. Rather than kind of pivot in place.

Have any pictures of those tires to share? It's nice big size.

Negative. You're .75" spacers are optimal here. Larger spacers will cause more clearance issues as the tire will swing further front and rear as it turns. Rather than kind of pivot in place.

Have any pictures of those tires to share? It's nice big size.

Funny enough, your previous posts before I even got my LX were the reason I went with the 0.75 spacers for exactly that reason. Had to trim the lugs to get them to fit properly with the stock wheels but they've worked out fine so far. I may join you on the 305 width when these Falken's wear out, but that may be a while with how these things wear! I really went back and forth on tire size way more than I'd like to admit. Here's a photo of mine:

20190409_121019_resized.jpg

I think that looks pretty good. How much impact in performance to you "feel"?

I think that looks pretty good. How much impact in performance to you "feel"?

I'll try to describe the differences I noticed when going from stock sized Michelins to the Falkens. First, acceleration is definitely impacted with the larger diameter and additional weight. Thankfully, the V8 makes that less of an issue and I quickly got used to it. The AT tires add a lot of mass and that is really felt when braking so an adjustment had to be made there. The roads by me here in Wisconsin are not the most well taken care of so having the additional sidewall definitely helped insulate a lot of that. On the other hand, these are load range E tires and are stiffer than the P rated stock tires so some impacts are more harsh. It just depends on the road surface. I just completed a 2500 Mile road trip to Utah and back last week so that was a good test of all kinds of activity. I'm a complete rookie at off roading but aired down, I had complete confidence while exploring around Arches national park and some unmaintained BLM roads. They are slightly louder than the original tires as well, but are MUCH better in the rain. Hope that helps. I did a lot of reading before going with this size and it may not be for everyone. Everything has a compromise.

While weight plays a part of it, a major factor of larger diameter tires is also the leverage lost in both gearing and brakes.

Gearing in the sense that the overall drive ratio is impacted. Overall drive ratio is the product of transmission gearing, differential gearing, and diameter of tire. The engine has less gearing leverage. One way to recover this is to change the diff ratio.

Brake torque is lost too. With the larger tire, the brakes have less leverage so it will take more effort in terms of pedal pressure to provide the same stopping power.

The newer 2016+ models help with both, as they have 8-speed trannies with gearing galore. And stronger brakes with more bite. Very well suited for big diameter tires.

If I had a 2016+, I'd be much more confident to step up to a 35, while still having the performance (acceleration and braking) to tow at almost max GCWR (gross combined weight rating, both tow vehicle and trailer) of 14k lbs.

For those running huge tires, I'll just live vicariously through your awesome pics.

How much trimming? Put them on and find out. That's the only way. I put that same size in KO2 on my Lexus and removed the front mud flaps and that's it. Do a search on the size here on the forum and you will see lots of pics.

Well you gave me the answer I was hoping to hear, are you running spacers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom