25+ tire threads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone seen a HUGE gas mileage decrease going from a Michellin LTX M/S 275/70/16 to a same tire in 285/75/16? I hear it only effects some vehicles/make/model. But a 1.6" increase seems like it would effect it a lot.?.?

Speedometer will have a variance with displayed speed compared to GPS speed that will increase the faster you go. Thus, your odometer will have an inaccurate reading unless you amend it to match the new tires and therefore, it would be tough to accurately calculate MPG's "after" the new tires were installed.

Plus, a "huge" decrease for me would be from 14.2 to 13.1 which would be an 7.8% percent decrease. Thats huge although it doesnt sound too detrimental. :steer:

It's not the larger circumference that affects miles per gallon -- though it does throw your speedo off and any unadjusted MPG calculation -- it's the increase in the rotational mass. If you went to a larger but lighter tire/wheel combination you'd likely see an improvement in your MPG. Unfortunately, with the 100 series larger equals heavier, so MPG takes a hit.

Land Cruisers are one the all time worlds worst fuel mileage vehicles to begin with and were not manufactured to compete with fuel efficient vehicles.

You gotta pay for performance.

That said, I get 14 or better in the city with factory size LTX AT tires but i drive sooooooooo slow people pass me on the interstate like Im parallel parked.

I haven't noticed much of a difference on the highway. But around town with a lot of stop and go driving I went from 13-14 to 11-12. So yes there is a difference. Guys on here also say that there isn't much of a noise difference. I got Terra Grapplers which are supposed to be one of the quieter ATs and you can definitely hear a difference on the highway. (hijack over).

...Speedometer will have a variance with displayed speed compared to GPS speed that will increase the faster you go. ...

The % difference stays the same though. So an 8% difference, when your odo says 10 you are doing 10.8, when it says 50 you are doing 54, when it says 100 you are doing 108.

Maybe that's what you were saying?

The % difference stays the same though. So an 8% difference, when your odo says 10 you are doing 10.8, when it says 50 you are doing 54, when it says 100 you are doing 108.

Maybe that's what you were saying?

Exactly what I meant to state - Thanks:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom