24V or 12V? PLEASE Respond (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1979 BJ40 with one battery. The truck also has a dash coil that should turn glowing red when the glow plugs are being heated, it does not, however, the glow plugs do get hot and the engine does start. I have been told that it is not uncommon to see 24V trucks converted to 12V. and the 12V system does not have enough power to heat the dash coil, is this correct? if so, why would anyone do that. My VIN says the my 40 was "born" a 24V, but again it only has one battery.
Could someone PLEASE tell me if they have dealt with this.
Thanks.

Pictures help a lot... If someone converted the truck it would be a lot of work... Obvious would be the starter and alternator, but almost every computer, bulb, and relay would also need to be swapped... Not a small job or cheap set of parts.

And is it a big ass battery? They do make 24v batteries for airplanes and other r heavy equipment... but they are not cheap either

Could have been converted from 24v to 12v. Not really enough info in your question in my opinion.

Could have been converted from 24v to 12v. Not really enough info in your question in my opinion.
Chris, Please tell me what info I could supply? I'd be more that happy to do so. I want this to be done, Big trip planned at the end of November. Thank you for responding. Mike

Pictures help a lot... If someone converted the truck it would be a lot of work... Obvious would be the starter and alternator, but almost every computer, bulb, and relay would also need to be swapped... Not a small job or cheap set of parts.
Just tell me what pictures you need to see , and I will send them. Thanks, Mike
1602863579315.png

What is your vin or frame number? (you can pm me that info if you don't want it public)

Also if you can see part numbers on your starter it would help. Have you checked all your plugs to make sure they are good?

I just looked it up and 1979 BJ40s were offered in europe as both 24v and 12v. Where did you see that your truck was 24v? I've never seen that designated on a spec plate...

There are lots of threads on the glow system and it isn't exactly straight forward.

You will need to do things like trace your wiring, record things like relay part numbers, glow plug part numbers, measure voltages during different states of operation, make a wiring diagram of what you have etc to figure this out. I don't really see that you have a big problem at the moment though if it is working.

Maybe someone bypassed your dash glow controller and installed different plugs? You won't know until you obtain the information.

Just tell me what pictures you need to see , and I will send them. Thanks, Mike

View attachment 2466900
Your BJ40 from Portugal has 12 volts electrical system . Only market in Europe that had the 12V system . Both the BJ40 and the BJ45 . They were assembled in Portugal from 1978 to 1984 . All other european markets had 24 volts .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom