22r into 22re? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 91 pickup, totally stock 22RE, no sure which transmission.
The clutch really slips badly. My friend and I just picked up an '85 parts truck
that has a nice purring 22R and new clutch, front and rear main seals, and rebuilt transmission. My question is, can the clutch from the 22R replace the one in the 22RE? Or, would it be better to just swap the whole engine? Transmission? Transfer? All of the above? What are my options?

Thanks!

Yeah, the clutch should swap over, but given the PITA of replacing clutches (especially in a 4x4), I'd still put in a new clutch,pp,to bearing and pp.

I know several mechanics who pull the motor to replace 4x4 clutches, rather than messing with the tranny/transfer case. I think you could certainly use the new motor, but I believe the exhaust ports/manifold may be different (but I may be confusing it with the 20R).

Come to think of it, if you strip a 22r and a 22re down to the long block, they are the same motor, so you may need to strip stuff off the old engine (the 91) to put on the replacement engine to line everything up.

Hi, I definitely recommend using a new clutch, pressure plate and throughout bearing, or at the very minimum the clutch. It is not worth doing it twice.
I once tried to install a carburetor manifold off of a 22r to a 22re long block. The gasket was intruding into the ports, and there was some other stuff that didn't fit. Then I tried to put the 22r head on the 22re block. It turns out that the 22re block is just a little bit shorter than the 22r block, so I had to use a special thickness copper head gasket to make it work. I finally got the whole thing to work but it was a PITA project.

85 and up 22R and 22RE have the same block and head.
84 and older 22R's have a different block and head.

And FWIW, 81-82 22R's use the dual row TC, 83 and up are single row, and 20R head will bolt up to the early 22R block.

You don't want to swap trannies. The W56 in your 91 is stronger than the G52 in the 85.

Hey thanks for all the replies.
It looks like now, I'll plan on using the 22R and it's clutch in the '91.
The only problem with the '85 is the rotten rear of the frame! Engine has had the front and rear seals replaced, a few months on the new clutch, and recently rebuilt transmission. The 22R on the 85 runs MUCH better than the 22RE, right now.

So, doe the following sound okay? Bear in mind this is just a DD, not a climber/wheeler really, that's what the FJ is for:grinpimp:

keep the 91's transmission
keep the 91's transfer
use the 85's engine
use the 85's clutch/flywheel
use the '85's bellhousing

Thanks a lot!
JR

P.S. Might have some available parts when this happens... (could be a year though.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom