222k miles, blown cv boots. Replace driveshafts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In going over my new to me 2000 LC with 222k miles, I found both CV boots blown. One recently as it has fresh grease around it, but the other...has no grease around it, and I do not know how long it has been that way. I have not started disassembly to repair and replace yet, as I am doing research and reading how to tips.

My question is, with 222k miles and unknown number of miles since the boots blew is it recommended to clean and reboot, or is it better to go ahead and replace the shafts and everything else due to the mileage and since it will already be apart?

Also in my reading I see where some swap the shafts from one side to another, again with 222k miles is that better than just rebooting and moving on?

Thanks

Last edited:
With that mileage I would bite the bullet and replace both with new OEM units and be done with it. The one with no grease is most likely toast anyway. The other may be able to rebooted and used as a trail spare, depending on condition. You can get them on line for roughly $350 apiece from Toyota parts vendors. Don't forget to order new seals for the diff. Left and right sides are different seals.

In going over my new to me 2000 LC with 222k miles, I found both CV boots blown. One recently as it has fresh grease around it, but the other...has no grease around it, and I do not know how long it has been that way. I have not started disassembly to repair and replace yet, as I am doing research and reading how to tips.

My question is, with 222k miles and unknown number of miles since the boots blew is it recommended to clean and reboot, or is it better to go ahead and replace the shafts and everything else due to the mileage and since it will already be apart?

Also in my reading I see where some swap the shafts from one side to another, again with 222k miles is that better than just rebooting and moving on?

Thanks

Don't be too quick to ditch them. Better to inspect them....and THEN make your decision. Before you remove them, note the fit of the splines (outer shaft) to the hubs. If there is much movement there, then its possible you might need new hubs as well.

IF the fit is still pretty good, then pull the axles and look at the splines. If those are good....then look at the joint. If either are dry and appear scored, then yes replace (along with new hubs). Otherwise...consider re-lubricating and rebooting.

I don't recommend aftermarket CV's. Remanufactured Toyota units can be had.

Thanks
I would replace the shafts. You will need to pull them anyways to reboot. I had to replace mine at 265000. They were shot.

With that mileage I would bite the bullet and replace both with new OEM units and be done with it. The one with no grease is most likely toast anyway. The other may be able to rebooted and used as a trail spare, depending on condition. You can get them on line for roughly $350 apiece from Toyota parts vendors. Don't forget to order new seals for the diff. Left and right sides are different seals.

^^^This. Either OEM new or check out remanned axles done by CVJ, Inc. They are OEM that are completely rebuilt and at a reasonable price. They will also build you one with long travel boots on them for lifted vehicles. I have a set and no problems as of yet. I think I paid $250 per axle.

CVJ Axles - CV Axles & Steering Racks for all your needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom