203-splitcase interference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisermatts.com
Mocking up my dual cases, and the splitcase (87 unit, 38mm idler shaft) doesn't want to seat against the adapter properly, like the index isn't big enough.

There's a big snap ring around the sealed bearing on the adapter, I think that's causing the issue?

Is the gap in the photos clear?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ha! I was going to say. Get out the impact. lol

Have you tried tapping it lightly with a rubber mallet?

Should mount flush with no issues. It sounds like you are using the later model split case with 38mm idle shaft just like I did.

I tried to find some pictures of my case mounted but no luck.

Does the snap ring look "even" on the bearing?

On the install, when you put the front half of the split case on, did you square it up?

Is that snap ring and bearing what the front case half indexes on? There aren't any other dowels or anything.

Have you tried tapping it lightly with a rubber mallet?

I gave it some force by hand.. going to take it a-part and try again.

That would be awesome. Mine is under the rig in present state without room to disassemble and resemble (body crossmember is in the way of pulling rear case half).

I read a post from back in like 2007 or 8 on a clubhouse forum that a guy had the same issue and just ran without the snap ring? sounds risky but I guess the front case half would hold the bearing in?

That would be awesome. Mine is under the rig in present state without room to disassemble and resemble (body crossmember is in the way of pulling rear case half).

I read a post from back in like 2007 or 8 on a clubhouse forum that a guy had the same issue and just ran without the snap ring? sounds risky but I guess the front case half would hold the bearing in?
The way it sits in the recess on the plate would make you think that would be fine, but I'd worry about thrust motion, the ability of the bearing to sink into or out of the case. Thousands of an inch can make a difference in that situation.

The gap looks to be wider on one side than the other. Is that correct? That may actually cause enough internal binding that it'll not fit..

Haven't messed with it yet, drivetrain is still in "mockup" mode, cases are empty. @Mace yes the gap is bigger in one side then the other.

image.jpeg

Pull it off again and see if the retaining ring on the bearing is oversized and causing issues.

I was crawling underneath working on the mount, when I saw this. Think this may be a partial cause ? :hillbilly:

image.jpeg

Lol, I had the same problem but forgot all about it!

I finally got my temporary mounting solution and the floor mostly built so I can pull the whole "mock-up" powertrain out this weekend and start building it. And see whats really causing the issue, maybe should have started the thread now instead of a month ago :lol:

I had the same problem on my 203/splitcase setup in my 40. The issue was the snap ring not fitting inside the recess on the splitcase. Didn't want to run without the snap ring so I removed a little material around the recess in the splitcase and was able to get case together without issue.

When assembling everything put a little RTV on the splines of the transmission output shaft where they go through the bearing on the adapter. I also put a little RTV on the spline under the collar that goes between the 203 and splitcase. make sure your venting system for both case are in good condition. I had a problem where the splitcase would get pressurized and push oil down the splines and into the 203.

I've just gone through all of this so if you've got any questions the info in my head is still fresh ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom