2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stopped by Toyota of Dallas this past weekend to get a few seals for my blown CV on the Cruiser and they had a Limited Sequoia sitting on the lot so I poked around inside to get a better idea of what the cargo situation was like. I have to say, I am disappointed in the space and how it's configured out back. I'll leave it up to momma whether or not she can accept it. I know one thing for certain, we aren't fans of the Boulder/grey seats.

XHhFRye.jpg

RsC58UB.jpg

znGActx.jpg

I also can't believe they don't offer a third row delete, although that would kind of take away from the point of providing customers with a larger, 3-row SUV. My 2021 has so much room it's almost too much when you put down the third row, and especially when the second row is down as well. As to how Toyota came up with this being the best solution...I have no idea but I feel like it causes customers who were set on getting a Sequoia for the cargo room to look elsewhere.

It's almost single handedly turning us away from the vehicle which is a shame.

They should really offer a delete option for that 3rd row. I can't believe that's the configuration they came up with.
As soon as there is hybrid delete and either 3rd row delete or it folds flat like my 21, I will buy. Otherwise I will keep my 21 forever.

I also can't believe they don't offer a third row delete, although that would kind of take away from the point of providing customers with a larger, 3-row SUV. My 2021 has so much room it's almost too much when you put down the third row, and especially when the second row is down as well. As to how Toyota came up with this being the best solution...I have no idea but I feel like it causes customers who were set on getting a Sequoia for the cargo room to look elsewhere.
100%

86% of American families do not need a 3rd row. They do need cargo space for kids and pets. Toyota literally designed this for a market that barely exists, and offered no option for the largest market.

Never mind I am yet to see the value of a hybrid that does not boost range or MPG.

Gonna have a fun conversation next month with Toyota reps at Dallas Auto Show.

When we were shopping for an SUV back in 2017, wife and I test drove the sequoia, LC, armada, Yukon. She was like the sequoia is toooooo big and we made the mistake of test driving the LC first so everything else after it did not feel as good. Hence we got a 2016 LC, came from a current gen limited 4runner (only cons were lack of a/c in the 3rd row, lack of power).

This whole 3rd row SUV thing has gotten SO out of hand.

A 7/8th size 2 row Sequoia would be PERFECT. (only if it was normally aspirated)

And it could be non-hybrid, non turbo if they just made it lighter and smaller. Win, win, win.

I just don't get it.
I think there's a market for both. For me the 4runner got too small for 2 kids plus large dog. Don't often need the 3rd row. BUT when grandparents visit is really nice to have 6 seats. For me though it's mostly about the extra cargo space, not the extra seats.

For my current situation, I still want the seats but i need the extra cargo space. Lc200 is smaller than 2 row 4runner in the back. Lc300 is smaller yet. And somehow the Sequoia is now smaller behind the 2nd row than my old 4R. I'm still almost skeptical of the cargo numbers and if they match reality. If that's correct it's just not viable as a large family hauler. I'd have to go Tahoe or older Sequoia. (I bought a Tundra for now - it's big, comfy, not very *fun* to drive, and pretty terrible on trails.)

I totally agree that a 7/8 size 2 row would be great. Would work great for me most of the time. Something in the 118" WB and 350hp/400tq range power. Comfortable power for easy highway cruising and able to comfortably pull a 6500lb trailer.

What I really want is actually pretty basic. Just build a 3rd gen Sequoia without the hybrid, add awd transfer, and a removable third row. Is that really too much to ask for? Seems like a super easy model to offer. Or just use modern battery tech so they're 1/4 the size and weight and put the batteries underneath.

For the people who've sat in them or own one - are the areas with the red arrows as thick as they look? And is that dead space? It looks like there's about a foot of lost space all the way down the cargo area on both sides lost to the trim plastics not being form fitted to the structure. Or is this just an oddity of the images and not so bulky in real life? Thanks.
1673470887893.png

Last edited:
I think there's a market for both. For me the 4runner got too small for 2 kids plus large dog. Don't often need the 3rd row. BUT when grandparents visit is really nice to have 6 seats. For me though it's mostly about the extra cargo space, not the extra seats.

For my current situation, I still want the seats but i need the extra cargo space. Lc200 is smaller than 2 row 4runner in the back. Lc300 is smaller yet. And somehow the Sequoia is now smaller behind the 2nd row than my old 4R. I'm still almost skeptical of the cargo numbers and if they match reality. If that's correct it's just not viable as a large family hauler. I'd have to go Tahoe or older Sequoia. (I bought a Tundra for now - it's big, comfy, not very *fun* to drive, and pretty terrible on trails.)

I totally agree that a 7/8 size 2 row would be great. Would work great for me most of the time. Something in the 118" WB and 350hp/400tq range power. Comfortable power for easy highway cruising and able to comfortably pull a 6500lb trailer.

What I really want is actually pretty basic. Just build a 3rd gen Sequoia without the hybrid, add awd transfer, and a removable third row. Is that really too much to ask for? Seems like a super easy model to offer. Or just use modern battery tech so they're 1/4 the size and weight and put the batteries underneath.

For the people who've sat in them or own one - are the areas with the red arrows as thick as they look? And is that dead space? It looks like there's about a foot of lost space all the way down the cargo area on both sides lost to the trim plastics not being form fitted to the structure. Or is this just an oddity of the images and not so bulky in real life? Thanks.
View attachment 3216533
About the red arrows and possible "dead space" -

The inside drivers side rear quarter panel houses the 12V starter battery and jack

Screenshot_20230117_121604_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The passengers side houses the spare tire tool kit

Screenshot_20230117_123811_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Below the red arrows are vents for the 48V hybrid battery which is under the 3rd row seat. So there must be some ducting or hoses that run between the battery and vent grills.

Screenshot_20230117_124538_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I would also expect there to be a blower and ducting for the rear HVAC somewhere in the passenger rear quarter panel area. I see possibly an intake for the rear HVAC below

Screenshot_20230117_131355_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Looks like a speaker or sub woofer on the drivers side

Screenshot_20230117_131432_DuckDuckGo.jpg

About the red arrows and possible "dead space" -

The inside drivers side rear quarter panel houses the 12V starter battery and jack

The passengers side houses the spare tire tool kit

Below the red arrows are vents for the 48V hybrid battery which is under the 3rd row seat. So there must be some ducting or hoses that run between the battery and vent grills.

I would also expect there to be a blower and ducting for the rear HVAC somewhere in the passenger rear quarter panel area. I see possibly an intake for the rear HVAC below

Looks like a speaker or sub woofer on the drivers side

Thanks! that's great info I didn't know. Those cavities are pretty big considering they fit the 12v battery. Where's the 12v battery in the tundra hybrid?

The battery location makes winch wiring a bit challenging as far as routing safely and needing pretty large wire size for the length run you need. But it also makes a fridge/freezer really easy. If there's room under the hood for a second battery that would be a pretty nice setup to have the winch up front with its own battery. But it looks like you might need to re-configure the intake to a single airbox to get rid of one of the air boxes for space. I can't tell if it's just the diesel versions that have a single intake side or if some of the LC300 gas models also use a one-side intake.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum to provide some info/feedback on the new sequoias because I finally got one and this thread seems to be one of the only/best discussions about them that I could find online (I've been reading it for a long time while I was attempting to buy one). I hope the following is helpful:

Reason for buying:
Replacing older SUV for wife/family/vacation use and need something with a third row/cargo space option, and will only buy Toyota or Lexus at this point.

Buying process:
I started contacting my local dealer about 10 months ago in anticipation of the next-gen release. It was quite a long/challenging process -- it'll probably improve over time of course, but the demand for them was/is still so high that the dealer was overwhelmed with waitlist entries, and even though I was at the top of the list for a platinum trim 4x4 version (the list eventually ballooned into the several hundreds -- I leave near a big city), it was still a bit of a circus. Not fun buying a car right now..

Cost:
Approximately $9k over (+tax) -- dealer was asking almost $20k over initially, but they allowed negotiating despite the crazy high demand (every new sequoia that came in before mine in different trim levels was sold immediately). Also had to negotiate up my trade-in value quite a bit as expected. Be prepared for crazy markup prices.

Vehicle:
Platinum 4x4 version without the rear-air bag suspension option.

Impressions:
I've had the exact same 2nd-gen sequoia (platinum 4x4) before in the past, and the new one feels/looks slightly smaller, and it rides slightly rougher (very much feels like you're driving a truck), which isn't surprising given the rear solid axle in the new one (something that I actually wanted/prefer over rear independent). Very stable ride feel without much body roll on turns at all. The electronics and ergonomics of the driver/front row are excellent. They did also did a great job with the overall driver experience, and everything looks, feels, and functions nearly like the Lexus vehicles I've had in the past (but with less features of course). Tons of tech that took me a while to learn. The camera system is incredible and makes parking much easier than the 2nd-gen. There's too many small improvements over the 2nd-gen in the front interior to list, but they are very noticeable and make the driving experience much better than I expected.

I hate hybrids and wish they had a non-hybrid version, but the new engine system is very noticeably more powerful/faster than the 2nd-gen. The eco-normal-sport drive mode options confer very pronounced changes in the throttle response/performance/acceleration. The difference between eco and sport is bigger than any vehicle I've ever driven that had similar drive mode options. Sport mode is almost unusable/annoying when driving in slow city traffic because the pedal response is so strong/fast/sensitive. I drive mainly in eco mode for the gas mileage gain, and it still feels significantly more powerful than the 2nd-gen. I would be very comfortable/confident pulling a big boat or heavy trailer with it given the combination of the new engine/drivetrain and truck-like handling/stability.

The transmission shifts gears almost imperceptibly during normal driving, and you have to pay attention to even notice the shifts unless you hammer down on the pedal. At lower speeds the hybrid system does feel a little clunky compared to the non-hybrid drivetrain in the 2nd gen., but it's not bad enough to really bother me. It's weird seeing the oil pressure drop to nothing for a few seconds and then go right back up while you're driving due to the hybrid.

Unfortunately, the gas mileage I've seen so far is quite lower than the sticker/rated numbers, which is one of my only complaints. In stop-go city traffic, I'm getting around 12-14 mpg in sport, 14-15 mpg in normal, and 15-17 in eco mode. On the highway with a few passengers and no cargo, I'm barely getting 18-19 in eco. Gas tank capacity is 22.5 gal, but if you drive it down to '10 miles driving distance remaining' and fill it up, there's still at least 3 gallons in the tank (which I know is an issue with most new vehicles since the manufacturers are trying to "protect us from ourselves" by having gas indicators lie to us, but it still irks me).

Entry/exit in the third row is easy in mine/platinum -- I have kids car seats on each middle row captain chair that precludes them from folding forward, but it's still easy to go in-between them to access the third row. To me, the third row situation is not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be.. The independent slide-forward or backward ability of the two sides of the split row (1 seat is independent of the other 2 seats) is very helpful and makes it comfortable for a medium build adult to ride back there. Having only a small cargo space behind the third row when it's up and pulled back completely is still a complaint of mine, but there's plenty of room for a weekly load of groceries to fit across the rear shelf, and you can fit a lot of misc/tools under it at the same time, which makes the new shelf system actually quite useful. Having no roll-down back glass is a complaint as well but it's not a big deal to me. The pop-up back glass is easy to use when needed as well. One other small complaint is the overhead lighting on the interior isn't very bright at all, which was odd/unexpected.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with it and have zero buyer's remorse. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have of course, and once again hope this info is useful to everyone interested in these new ones. I'll probably post again with more feedback after I get a few thousand miles on it and encounter more scenarios.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum to provide some info/feedback on the new sequoias because I finally got one and this thread seems to be one of the only/best discussions about them that I could find online (I've been reading it for a long time while I was attempting to buy one). I hope the following is helpful:

Reason for buying:
Replacing older SUV for wife/family/vacation use and need something with a third row/cargo space option, and will only buy Toyota or Lexus at this point.

Buying process:
I started contacting my local dealer about 10 months ago in anticipation of the next-gen release. It was quite a long/challenging process -- it'll probably improve over time of course, but the demand for them was/is still so high that the dealer was overwhelmed with waitlist entries, and even though I was at the top of the list for a platinum trim 4x4 version (the list eventually ballooned into the several hundreds -- I leave near a big city), it was still a bit of a circus. Not fun buying a car right now..

Cost:
Approximately $9k over (+tax) -- dealer was asking almost $20k over initially, but they allowed negotiating despite the crazy high demand (every new sequoia that came in before mine in different trim levels was sold immediately). Also had to negotiate up my trade-in value quite a bit as expected. Be prepared for crazy markup prices.

Vehicle:
Platinum 4x4 version without the rear-air bag suspension option.

Impressions:
I've had the exact same 2nd-gen sequoia (platinum 4x4) before in the past, and the new one feels/looks slightly smaller, and it rides slightly rougher (very much feels like you're driving a truck), which isn't surprising given the rear solid axle in the new one (something that I actually wanted/prefer over rear independent). Very stable ride feel without much body roll on turns at all. The electronics and ergonomics of the driver/front row are excellent. They did also did a great job with the overall driver experience, and everything looks, feels, and functions nearly like the Lexus vehicles I've had in the past (but with less features of course). Tons of tech that took me a while to learn. The camera system is incredible and makes parking much easier than the 2nd-gen. There's too many small improvements over the 2nd-gen in the front interior to list, but they are very noticeable and make the driving experience much better than I expected.

I hate hybrids and wish they had a non-hybrid version, but the new engine system is very noticeably more powerful/faster than the 2nd-gen. The eco-normal-sport drive mode options confer very pronounced changes in the throttle response/performance/acceleration. The difference between eco and sport is bigger than any vehicle I've ever driven that had similar drive mode options. Sport mode is almost unusable/annoying when driving in slow city traffic because the pedal response is so strong/fast/sensitive. I drive mainly in eco mode for the gas mileage gain, and it still feels significantly more powerful than the 2nd-gen. I would be very comfortable/confident pulling a big boat or heavy trailer with it given the combination of the new engine/drivetrain and truck-like handling/stability.

The transmission shifts gears almost imperceptibly during normal driving, and you have to pay attention to even notice the shifts unless you hammer down on the pedal. At lower speeds the hybrid system does feel a little clunky compared to the non-hybrid drivetrain in the 2nd gen., but it's not bad enough to really bother me. It's weird seeing the oil pressure drop to nothing for a few seconds and then go right back up while you're driving due to the hybrid.

Unfortunately, the gas mileage I've seen so far is quite lower than the sticker/rated numbers, which is one of my only complaints. In stop-go city traffic, I'm getting around 12-14 mpg in sport, 14-15 mpg in normal, and 15-17 in eco mode. On the highway with a few passengers and no cargo, I'm barely getting 18-19 in eco. Gas tank capacity is 22.5 gal, but if you drive it down to '10 miles driving distance remaining' and fill it up, there's still at least 3 gallons in the tank (which I know is an issue with most new vehicles since the manufacturers are trying to "protect us from ourselves" by having gas indicators lie to us, but it still irks me).

Entry/exit in the third row is easy in mine/platinum -- I have kids car seats on each middle row captain chair that precludes them from folding forward, but it's still easy to go in-between them to access the third row. To me, the third row situation is not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be.. The independent slide-forward or backward ability of the two sides of the split row (1 seat is independent of the other 2 seats) is very helpful and makes it comfortable for a medium build adult to ride back there. Having only a small cargo space behind the third row when it's up and pulled back completely is still a complaint of mine, but there's plenty of room for a weekly load of groceries to fit across the rear shelf, and you can fit a lot of misc/tools under it at the same time, which makes the new shelf system actually quite useful. Having no roll-down back glass is a complaint as well but it's not a big deal to me. The pop-up back glass is easy to use when needed as well. One other small complaint is the overhead lighting on the interior isn't very bright at all, which was odd/unexpected.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with it and have zero buyer's remorse. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have of course, and once again hope this info is useful to everyone interested in these new ones. I'll probably post again with more feedback after I get a few thousand miles on it and encounter more scenarios.
Great feedback!

I'm a perspective buyer.

I agree with you about not wanting the hybrid. If you were getting Prius mpgs or at minimum over 20mpg combined, that would change my mind. Otherwise, I prefer to have better longterm reliability without the added horsepower. The 5.7 is a tough act to follow up!

If the TRD PRO offered an 8 passenger option I probably would be anxious to get one. Even still, I think Toyota missed out on the design of the second row. The 2gen had adjustable 2nd row leg room, so you could give the 3rd row more room without sacrificing cargo room. Also, the 2gen bench was a 40/20/40 allowing each seat to fold, tumble, and slide independently. The 3gen offers a 60/40 bench, so if anything is in the middle seat you can't fold or tumble that entire section. Additionally, there is no way to fold the center backrest separately like in the 200 series Landcruiser or 4runner, that have a 60/40 bench where the center backrest can be folded separately, allowing a pass through without tumbling the seats.

@RedneckScience How much room do you have between the 2nd row captain chairs? Can you take a measurement between the seat cushions and another measurement between the armrest? I'm wondering if I could fit a cooler or something in that spot?

I may elect for the 7 passenger Sequoia but most dealers don't have inventory for me to compare them.

Great feedback!

I'm a perspective buyer.

I agree with you about not wanting the hybrid. If you were getting Prius mpgs or at minimum over 20mpg combined, that would change my mind. Otherwise, I prefer to have better longterm reliability without the added horsepower. The 5.7 is a tough act to follow up!

If the TRD PRO offered an 8 passenger option I probably would be anxious to get one. Even still, I think Toyota missed out on the design of the second row. The 2gen had adjustable 2nd row leg room, so you could give the 3rd row more room without sacrificing cargo room. Also, the 2gen bench was a 40/20/40 allowing each seat to fold, tumble, and slide independently. The 3gen offers a 60/40 bench, so if anything is in the middle seat you can't fold or tumble that entire section. Additionally, there is no way to fold the center backrest separately like in the 200 series Landcruiser or 4runner, that have a 60/40 bench where the center backrest can be folded separately, allowing a pass through without tumbling the seats.

@RedneckScience How much room do you have between the 2nd row captain chairs? Can you take a measurement between the seat cushions and another measurement between the armrest? I'm wondering if I could fit a cooler or something in that spot?

I may elect for the 7 passenger Sequoia but most dealers don't have inventory for me to compare them.

Regarding the hybrid/gas-mileage -- exactly/agreed. Perhaps it was naive of me to believe the 20+ mpg rating. If it was only a couple mpg lower than expected it wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm seeing more than a few lower mpg, and the higher mileage expectation was one of the reasons why I was less upset about having to get a hybrid.. I love the 5.7 in the 2nd-gens and it would've been fine to have that in this one given the inherent benefits of it, but the higher HP/torque in the new one does somewhat make up for it from a pro-con balance standpoint.

I just measured between the two captain chairs -- there's approximately 10" opening between the arm rests and approximately 11" opening between the seats cushions at their nearest point, so a small rectangular cooler or definitely a medium soft-shell cooler would fit fine. However, on the floor between the chairs there's a plastic/rubber tray with two shallow cup holders (the whole thing is approx. 3.5" tall measured at the front). The cup holders are towards the front of the tray, so the cooler or any large items would have to sit on top of them or just behind them. I haven't seen if or how the tray/holders could be removed but I would assume it's possible without damaging anything if you wanted to have a flat surface. It's short enough as is that you don't have to lift your feet high at all to step over it either.

Nothing wrong with a 100 series for what it would cost in Prop Tax, Sales tax and extra insurance on a 2023 Sequoia- the 100 would pay for itself in a few years...... and be more reliable and offroad worthy.

Hoping the new GX is better....

It's going to be interesting to see how close the new Grand Highlander and Sequoia are in pricing. In some sense it feels like the Gen 2 Sequoia effectively split into the new GH that does all the highway and people mover stuff better and the new Sequoia that is more trucklike. For most buyers, the new Grand Highlander is pretty comparable in function to the Sequoia. About 20% more interior volume in the GH vs the Sequoia. And dimensionally outside the GH and Sequoia are pretty similar other than overall length being a bit shorter on the GH. I think with badges removed - non-enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The result is that the GH is probably a better vehicle for a lot of potential Sequoia buyers. 30mpg and 362hp is going to be an easy sell vs 20mpg and 437hp. Especially if comparable trims are $10-20k less. Add a GH Prime and it's going to take even more sales away. If the Lexus trim of the GH ends up with a turbo v6, it could put a serious dent in LX600 as well. Could resolve a lot of the wait times.

Just thought it was food for discussion that Toyota released an internal competitor with the Sequoia that looks pretty good at first glance to me. If they make it in a Prime version - I can easily see one in my garage for my wife.

grand-side.jpg

Blueprint-8X8-25,28,42-640-en_US.jpg

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to see how close the new Grand Highlander and Sequoia are in pricing. In some sense it feels like the Gen 2 Sequoia effectively split into the new GH that does all the highway and people mover stuff better and the new Sequoia that is more trucklike. For most buyers, the new Grand Highlander is pretty comparable in function to the Sequoia. About 20% more interior volume in the GH vs the Sequoia. And dimensionally outside the GH and Sequoia are pretty similar other than overall length being a bit shorter on the GH. I think with badges removed - non-enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The result is that the GH is probably a better vehicle for a lot of potential Sequoia buyers. 30mpg and 362hp is going to be an easy sell vs 20mpg and 437hp. Especially if comparable trims are $10-20k less. Add a GH Prime and it's going to take even more sales away. If the Lexus trim of the GH ends up with a turbo v6, it could put a serious dent in LX600 as well. Could resolve a lot of the wait times.

Just thought it was food for discussion that Toyota released an internal competitor with the Sequoia that looks pretty good at first glance to me. If they make it in a Prime version - I can easily see one in my garage for my wife.

grand-side.jpg

It and the TX will no doubt cannibalize a lot fo Sequoia and LX sales. Better pricing, more room, better fuel economy, more car like ride and handling, it's what the majority of buyers want.

grand-side.jpg

I agree with this. There are aspects of the new Sequoia that enthusiasts will really like…smaller exterior dimensions, shorter wheelbase, solid rear axle….but as a practical vehicle for families, I’m not sure the new one is better than the outgoing model. The Grand Highlander may fill the family hauler role that Sequoia, Tahoe etc have filled until now.

First post here,

Just checking in to put in a few data points. Just acquired the '23 Sequoia TRD Pro. Was able to get it for MSRP before they added "market adjustments" of about $10k on all trims. I asked about the truck around August 2022. They didn't get allocated one until Nov 2022, where they took a deposit for it. The specs on it are tow mirrors, panoramic roof, no roof rack, black exterior, black interior.

Coming from a 2015 Tacoma V6, first impressions is that this thing is quick. The motor really gets it off the line in a jiffy, especially in sport mode. It's not a sports car so I didn't expect anything mind-blowing but certainly quicker than the old V6. All the tech on the interior are super intuitive, everything is where you would expect it from a Toyota. The truck is much shorter than I expected to be, and the width wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

Pros:
Looks amazing, I've had multiple people asking to check it out. The drive train feels great, the 10AT shifts seamlessly, barely could tell that it's shifting under normal driving. Obviously, will report back with reliability in the future. Miles of interior space, given that I'm roughly 5'8", I had no issues with the headroom and legroom (had at least a foot between my leg and driver's side seat from my seating position. 3rd row was a bit tight but comfortable, I can see myself doing a road trip back there. The infotainment is great, Apple carplay works flawlessly and the Qi charging never disconnected, given I do have an otterbox slim case on there.

Cons:
Cargo space, the cargo space is weird, I normally have the 3rd row folded and use shelf to make a "flat" surface for a dog bed. There's the weird space underneath the shelf that is useful for storing misc things. MPG is low, around town I'm getting 15 mpg and 17 mpg on a road trip I recently took. The glove box and center console cover rattles and sounds cheap.

Hope this helps with potential buyers!

IMG_4795.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom