Events/Trails 2023 Coal Mine Cruiser Classic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Loaded, leaving for AOAA at 4:30am. Should be there around 8-8:30. Tarp on in case it rains tonite. Probably won’t survive the tow out at 65mph.

IMG_2667.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg

If anyone sees this, I’m in route but lost 2 trailer tires outside of Allentown. Limped it to a tractor supply and waiting for them to open at 8. Will be there today, probably by 10-11, certainly by lunch and will try to find whatever group is around.

So aside from blowing multiple trailer tires on the way, my hiking boots loosing their soles (they’re freaking old) and a few minor issues with the 40, was a great trip. I have a bunch of pics and video that I can send if someone else sets up a hosting site, here’s a few starter pics. Overall the truck did great on mostly blues and some black sections of trail for being only on 33” tires, and frankly not aired down enough. I only got denied Saturday AM on a pretty steep optional line, after trying a few different approaches. Someone’s got pics/video of that, I would have tried more but I felt like I was holding the group up after a bit and there was a decent drop off on one side that would have hurt if I got too far off the line.

Damage tally from the weekend for me:

1) Two blown trailer tires, now I have 4 new ones. :)
2) One tire took out the brake wiring on the trailer, so no trailer brakes (But the Expedition’s tow-haul mode is pretty aggressive and downshifted like a boss, so it wasn’t too scary)
3) One headlight broke getting off the trailer at home (friggin strap holding the blown tires down snapped and shattered it)
4) Blew the bushing out of the top of a rear Bilstein. Shock may be fine, the bushing just isn’t there anymore. (?????)
5) Clutch slave cylinder piston pushed out - field fixed, re-bled and it worked all rest of weekend. I had a spare.
6) Throttle cable nut came off and I lost throttle on the last section of the last trail - field fixed it pretty easy.

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2707.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures, looks like you were with a great bunch. Tire is ugly!!!!!
Yes both days were with great groups. Thanks so very much for everyone that gave me a hand, from leading the runs to spots to helping fix the silly stuff I broke each day, and who shared stories and beers at camp Friday night. This and the GCLC and Cap City groups are great people and I can’t wait to hang out again!

Had a great time with you guys...especially @Cass007 for the excellent spotting!

Wonder where Chris learned to spot.....................................
Well, if that was you helping on Saturday, much appreciated too!

Dilemma now is to go 37's and a little more lift so I don't thrash my underside quite so much on the next outing!

More fun as a result of the weekend. Those who were with me noticed the rear tires were catching on the exhaust hangers in the wheel wells on both sides. I trimmed them at lunch on Saturday but looks like between that and the age of the tires (10+years old) the damage was done. Went to drive the 40 to work yesterday as my wife had my car and Expy was in for service. Got a mile from the house and felt a decent wobble from drivers rear. Tire coming apart, and passenger rear isn’t too different. Limped it home safe, and now need at least 2 rear tires.

So now the dilemma. These are 33x12.50x15’s which came with the truck when I bought it in 2015. I want 37’s and the rig can generally handle with a few minor things. But that means new wheels as well, and 37’s are expensive. I also have garage clearance issues, it fits with 33’s and I could probably sneak it in with 35’s, 37’s may be a serious concern. Door just won’t go up any more and I’d have to potentially raise the rails and such. I could go 35’s on the existing 15” rims, and save the 37’s for later…..that may have to be the middle ground for now.

IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

@FuglyYota If you do beadlocks for the 37" tires ( I get that this adds expense) you may be able to air down to 0lbs, put some weight in it when moving in and out and just sneak it in the garage. I have a standard 7' opening and mine just makes inside that way after I moved the door stop back a bit so it opens higher than the door opening. Your rig on 37s would be amazing.

@ETCruiser 37s ... LET'S GOOOOOOO, then it's black trails with Aaron and Andy next year and I will refill my Xanax script so I don't have a heart attack trying to keep up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom