2022 TRD PRO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been on the forum for nearly 20 years due to my Land Cruiser affliction. Can't say I have ever been in the tundra section even though my daily driver for most of those 20 years has been a Tundra. I recently picked up this TRD Pro. I feel a little guilty because I keep hearing about people that have waited over a year for a new model tundra they want and the trd pros seem to be even more hard to come by. I didn't get on any formal list, but the local dealer I have bought from several times knew I was somewhat interested in the new model. Got a call one day out of the blue that they had this pro available and it happened to be the color and spec I would have wanted had I been able to order one.

Currently with Westcott 2 1/2/1 kit with 35" Ko2s.

IMG-2456.jpg

Last edited:
What year was the Tundra you were driving before? How do you like the new one compared to it?
I had a 2003 sr5, then a 2007 sr5, then a 2016 trd pro. Then I had my first non-toyota, a 2020 ford raptor. Now this 2022.

I had my 2007 for 9 years. Honestly when I first got the 2016 the excitement wore off pretty quick. It was still just a basic truck with fancy stitching in the seats and nice shocks. I regretted buying it because it just wasn't that much of an improvement over the 2007. My wife hated trips in it because the passenger seat was not that comfortable and had no adjustment other than forward and back. At the time I wished I had just spent a few thousand on sweet aftermarket suspension and kept the 2007.

The 2022 is considerably better than my 2016 (IMO). Much more comfortable, peppier and more fun to drive with the hybrid, much better tech and audio, moonroof, etc. I do think they have a few quality issues they still need to work out. Nothing major, just some rattling interior parts. In my 2016 I could rally it down a dirt road and it just drove tight and quiet. In the new truck the console rattles some, there is some wind noise at high speed coming through the drivers door - I suspect they need to redesign the weatherstrip or something. Both of these issues I mentioned seem to be more common than not among owners. However, overall I love the truck. I haven't towed with it much yet other than some snow machines. I just got a set of airbags for it. From what I understand I tows better than the last gen. We'll see. I don't tow a ton, but it's nice to be able to tow an old Land Cruiser when I want to.

For comparison, the Raptor was an awesome truck. The suspension was really deluxe, it was a blast to drive, the seats were very comfortable and I had fun with it while I had it. I think one of Ford's strengths is listening to their customers and designing a truck to be used as a truck. It had lots of storage compartments, and convenience features that I wish Toyota had. One of the reasons the F150 is the best selling truck I guess. Funny enough, I loved the Raptor for road trips, but not so much offroad. It rattled and squeaked so much it drove us crazy. After 35k miles it started to have some glitchy tech things happening so I sold it. Cool truck, but I knew it would be a short term ownership for me. Also its tow capacity is about 4k lbs less than the new tundra.

Sorry long answer to your question. To sum up, I think they improved it quite a bit over the older gen. I like it a lot more than my 2016. They do still have a few minor quirks like the rattles to iron out - I think they will. I brought up the Raptor because for me the new tundra is probably as comfortable, almost as fun to drive (with the hybrid), but it will tow more, costs less and should be more reliable long term. I do miss that deluxe suspension sometimes.

Last edited:
I had a 2003 sr5, then a 2007 sr5, then a 2016 trd pro. Then I had my first non-toyota, a 2020 ford raptor. Now this 2022.

I had my 2007 for 9 years. Honestly when I first got the 2016 the excitement wore off pretty quick. It was still just a basic truck with fancy stitching in the seats and nice shocks. I regretted buying it because it just wasn't that much of an improvement over the 2007. My wife hated trips in it because the passenger seat was not that comfortable and had no adjustment other than forward and back. At the time I wished I had just spent a few thousand on sweet aftermarket suspension and kept the 2007.

The 2022 is considerably better than my 2016 (IMO). Much more comfortable, peppier and more fun to drive with the hybrid, much better tech and audio, moonroof, etc. I do think they have a few quality issues they still need to work out. Nothing major, just some rattling interior parts. In my 2016 I could rally it down a dirt road and it just drove tight and quiet. In the new truck the console rattles some, there is some wind noise at high speed coming through the drivers door - I suspect they need to redesign the weatherstrip or something. Both of these issues I mentioned seem to be more common than not among owners. However, overall I love the truck. I haven't towed with it much yet other than some snow machines. I just got a set of airbags for it. From what I understand I tows better than the last gen. We'll see. I don't tow a ton, but it's nice to be able to tow an old Land Cruiser when I want to.

For comparison, the Raptor was an awesome truck. The suspension was really deluxe, it was a blast to drive, the seats were very comfortable and I had fun with it while I had it. I think one of Ford's strengths is listening to their customers and designing a truck to be used as a truck. It had lots of storage compartments, and convenience features that I wish Toyota had. One of the reasons the F150 is the best selling truck I guess. Funny enough, I loved the Raptor for road trips, but not so much offroad. It rattled and squeaked so much it drove us crazy. After 35k miles it started to have some glitchy tech things happening so I sold it. Cool truck, but I knew it would be a short term ownership for me. Also its tow capacity is about 4k lbs less than the new tundra.

Sorry long answer to your question. To sum up, I think they improved it quite a bit over the older gen. I like it a lot more than my 2016. They do still have a few minor quirks like the rattles to iron out - think they will. I brought up the Raptor because for me, the new tundra is probably as comfortable, and almost as fun to drive (with the hybrid), but it will tow more, costs less and should be more reliable long term. I do miss that deluxe suspension sometimes.
Appreciate the long response. I've always loved the Tundras and was debating on getting a 2021 1794 edition, but went with a Platinum Sequoia instead. My dad has a 2017 F150 that's at 98k miles and has had numerous problems. It's currently sitting in the driveway until he decides if he wants to sell it to get something else or keep it (it started making another noise a couple days ago so it's parked to keep the miles off of it so if he trades it in it won't have the 100k on the odometer). I would love to grab a new 1794 edition Tundra but my current need just isn't there. Keep us updated on how this one is going. I'm sure it will be reliable - it is a Toyota after all.

Bummer about your Dad's truck. I liked a lot of things about the Ford. I think the new gen Tundra is considerably better than the previous gen in many ways. I'm sure the die hard v8 guys would disagree, but if you end up getting one I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited:
Good to see some 3rd gen chat on here! That is a sweet truck! My synopsis is almost identical to yours. I picked up a limited this summer. Very similar boat, always had cruisers but have been interested in a Tundra for awhile. Loving mine so far, but there are some issues as you mention. Seems to be par for the course among most manufacturers these days. See Dobinsons has released more suspension offerings this week. Thinking about a mild lift and 35s on mine, we will see.

A lot of us OG muddies are in Tundras these days. I’m watching the new models closely (while at the same time knowing diddly squat about them🤣) as once my lease on the ‘19 runs out, I will be having to make the big decision on keep/swap.

I’d love to see a couple more pics of your new one (sides) with the mods you have done. What’s the deal with the hybrid? Better fuel burn? Range? Living in Wyoming, I’m betting you see a lot of highway travel. I’m on the BC WA ID border, so similar use I’d bet.

A lot of us OG muddies are in Tundras these days. I’m watching the new models closely (while at the same time knowing diddly squat about them🤣) as once my lease on the ‘19 runs out, I will be having to make the big decision on keep/swap.

I’d love to see a couple more pics of your new one (sides) with the mods you have done. What’s the deal with the hybrid? Better fuel burn? Range? Living in Wyoming, I’m betting you see a lot of highway travel. I’m on the BC WA ID border, so similar use I’d bet.
Not OP, but the hybrid in these new Tundras is about power. 437 HP and an astonishing 583 ft lbs of Torque. I have just the standard engine which is 389/479. Slightly better fuel economy.

Not OP, but the hybrid in these new Tundras is about power. 437 HP and an astonishing 583 ft lbs of Torque. I have just the standard engine which is 389/479. Slightly better fuel economy.
You’re saying the non-hybrid gets better economy? I’m sure simplicity will be a good thing in the future too.

What sort of MPG are you seeing with the gas only? I’ve heard it’s similar to the 5.7? Regular or premium fuel required?

I just spent some time on Toyotas website and I think it would be an SR5 TRD-OR for me. I don’t like the giant screen on the higher trim levels. I really like that they are still doing hvac etc with “manual” buttons and a normal gear shifter etc. I still like my truck to be a truck, not a spaceship.

I didn’t word that very well, the hybrid will get slightly better mileage.
my truck is an SR5 TRD OR, I get an overall average of about 18.5. It regularly hits low 20’s on the highway. Tuned for 87 octane, although I run Premium from Sam’s usually. At altitude in CO it’s a bunch of 85 and it does ok. I run the premium though because of the turbos.

@Cortez the Killer I wish I was averaging 18.5! It was very difficult (for me) to catch a new tundra on a lot to test drive it before it was sold. I was able to find a slightly used SR one time and took it for a drive. I thought it drove great, had plenty of power. I was actually looking for a non-hybrid mainly because I wanted the under seat storage for tow straps and such I find we use often living where we do. Dealer told me likely a 18 month wait for a higher trim, longer for a trd pro. So when they called me a month later with this one available I decided to go for it. I do miss the under seat storage, but at least in this new gen the rear seats tilt forward and have a little storage room.

I have about 5400 miles on mine and have been in 4 wheel drive probably 60-70 percent of the time I've owned it. I have to have 4wd to get up my drive in the winter and we've been having a heavy snow year. I also lifted it and went with 35" tires after just a few hundred miles of ownership. I'm averaging 13.8 which is pretty much what my old V8 2016 trd pro got with stock tires. I'm interested to see if that changes much when I don't need 4wd all the time. I have hear on other forums that guys with 35s and hybrids are getting 18-19 MPG, many say it take a few thousand miles to get there.

I love the peppiness and torque of the hybrid. I've heard it's awesome to tow with, haven't had a chance to tow much yet. I wasn't sure if I'd like the large screen. I dimmed it and put a matte screen protector on it. I actually love it and it's easier to read for a mid 40s guy thats starting to need reading glasses, lol.

@carsonmac yes, i have been considering the Dobinson's MRR lift. Trd Pro suspension is nice, but just sits too low in stock form and if you lift it (i did with the Westcott kit) it rides a little bouncy. I have dobinsons on my 80, rides so nice.

IMG-2253 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom