2021 Mud ‘N Snow run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in! 3rd year in the club and first club run. Will see you all there!

What kind of level of difficulty is this trip considered? Would love to bring my two boys, but I generally leave them home for more difficult trips (Rubiconish). They’re still a little small for all that bouncing (6 and 7).

Excited to get out of the Bay for a day.

Thanks for putting this together!
It’s very mellow, no rocks to speak of, but mud and snow guaranteed this year. Stock rigs do okay, but clearance and lockers help when the snow gets deep. We stick together and have a good time. Definitely had kids along before with good results.

Sounds like fun! I’m going to try to make it. Coming up from SF, if anyone would like to caravan just let me know.

I’m all for meeting up along the way; somewhere off 101? How bout Starbucks at 700 B Street in San Rafael?
Works for me, I'll PM you so that we can work out the details, etc.

I'm in! 3rd year in the club and first club run. Will see you all there!

What kind of level of difficulty is this trip considered? Would love to bring my two boys, but I generally leave them home for more difficult trips (Rubiconish). They’re still a little small for all that bouncing (6 and 7).

Excited to get out of the Bay for a day.

Thanks for putting this together!
This is perfect for kids. Perhaps some scratchy two track but mostly forest roads leading to snow too deep to drive. Weather decides if trails are open or we stay on forest roads. What are you driving? This is popular for wagons and tacos but there will be a couple 40s too. It can be a long day if it starts in the Bay Area.

This is perfect for kids. Perhaps some scratchy two track but mostly forest roads leading to snow too deep to drive. Weather decides if trails are open or we stay on forest roads. What are you driving? This is popular for wagons and tacos but there will be a couple 40s too. It can be a long day if it starts in the Bay Area.
Thanks for the feedback! Bringing my 80 - agreed on the long day from the bay, have gotten wife’s approval for the hotel stay Friday and Saturday with the boys. Gonna book something tonight.

I just called the trail hotline. All trails in northern mendo forest are closed because of the august complex fires. That just means the side trails (short cuts) are closed. We will find mud and snow for sure.
Sheila and I are coming up in Old Blue and hope to be at the airstrip shortly after 8:30.

Looking forward to this! My name is Matt, my son Collin and I will be there around 8:30 in our 200 series.

Here's a photo from years ago when I started the Mud Run, notice that there was 14 FJ40's and only 2 Mini trucks-and now? A lot of the trails since then are gone or blocked off. We'd spent hours on some of the trails winching everyone up and through the mud covered trails then finally making to the top where the snow was, I broke a 3rd member once running lead pushing snow till it got to deep then POW that was it, an hour plus laying in the snow changing a 3rd member. There was enough trails to be able to stay off the main roads making it a lot of fun, of course there was a lot of brush scratch's, broken rigs, a few rollovers and my wife Kathy broke her shoulder on one trip- ha good times (maybe not for her).
Weather says it may be raining so I'm going to pass on this trip but you guys have fun.

mud run.jpg

Here's a photo from years ago when I started the Mud Run, notice that there was 14 FJ40's and only 2 Mini trucks-and now? A lot of the trails since then are gone or blocked off. We'd spent hours on some of the trails winching everyone up and through the mud covered trails then finally making to the top where the snow was, I broke a 3rd member once running lead pushing snow till it got to deep then POW that was it, an hour plus laying in the snow changing a 3rd member. There was enough trails to be able to stay off the main roads making it a lot of fun, of course there was a lot of brush scratch's, broken rigs, a few rollovers and my wife Kathy broke her shoulder on one trip- ha good times (maybe not for her).
Weather says it may be raining so I'm going to pass on this trip but you guys have fun.

View attachment 2590511

Alas, I will not be joining the run tomorrow. Going over the rig last night I decided to try and troubleshoot my rear locker. In doing so, I pushed the rubber gasket seal at the third member inside. A couple hours with a pick set and needle nose pliers later, I was convinced pulling the third was necessary. But gasket needs to set for 24 hours. So I tried a duct tape patch. It held in some preliminary tests around town. Made it to Ukiah (135 miles), but it’s leaking good now. Gonna refill and head home tomorrow. Only more boneheaded would be to try and run with you all with it in this condition. Will have my rig tight for the next one. Have fun!
4F4DD27B-CF78-4C30-A6AF-B60BADF07CA1.jpeg

A8FFE8C2-38EB-4E88-9FE6-33575BF70343.jpeg

well, my wife cut most of her index fingernail off tonight making dinner, so I guess I won’t be leaving her alone with a toddler for the day. I’ll catch y’all next trip. Have fun and be safe, Chris

Had a great time up on Hull Mountain with @wapitidon Sheila @Aderum @Hurndog Collin, and my buddy Stephen today! We made it part way up Hull before coming upon an abandoned vehicle. Don made the wise judgment that we turn around like that vehicle should have done and as he and Sheila made their way back to Lake County the rest of us made the less wise choice of checking out the 4x4 Obstacle Course at Cow Mountain on our way home. Although we mostly had a good time my rear driveshaft didn’t and we had to convert the vehicle to Front Wheel Drive on the fly. Thanks Matt and Colinn for sticking with us while we called Gary at Mudrak for advice and worked it out. Made it back to SF in good time and in FWD High Range, the center diff locked, and a Bluetooth rear driveshaft.

BFF886C7-0C4D-4DFB-B958-822990AF0CCB.jpeg
FD6D87B9-8F94-466E-8D44-2A72EB1F2352.jpeg

D4A70A7E-9EEE-44C5-94F5-C118909DEE09.jpeg

Had a great time up on Hull Mountain with @wapitidon Sheila @Aderum @Hurndog Collin, and my buddy Stephen today! We made it part way up Hull before coming upon an abandoned vehicle. Don made the wise judgment that we turn around like that vehicle should have done and as he and Sheila made their way back to Lake County the rest of us made the less wise choice of checking out the 4x4 Obstacle Course at Cow Mountain on our way home. Although we mostly had a good time my rear driveshaft didn’t and we had to convert the vehicle to Front Wheel Drive on the fly. Thanks Matt and Colinn for sticking with us while we called Gary at Mudrak for advice and worked it out. Made it back to SF in good time and in FWD High Range, the center diff locked, and a Bluetooth rear driveshaft.

View attachment 2591742View attachment 2591743

View attachment 2591741

DSC_3113.jpg

DSC_3112.jpg

DSC_3102.jpg

DSC_3103.jpg

DSC_3105.jpg

Oh no Tim . I thought you had a top considering this trip. I was hoping you would break trail. Trail regulations have certainly tightened up since those early days some 25-45 years ago.
what happened to all the 40s?
Looks like we’re down to one😢

Sorry to hear about that breakage Dave. Did you break on that wall? Better there than the middle of the rubicon. Glad you were able to get her home. Was it busy at red mt? There were a lot of folks playing in the woods yesterday on Elk mt., as we drove home. Lots of mud and slush from the morning dusting. Glad you could make another trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom