2020 Tire Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I did search and read all the tire threads I could find but did not find any recent ones. My '94 is a daily driver with frequent use on old unmaintained forest road type stuff but not much real offroading. Some snow use, no mud. Where are we at for tires in 2020?

My last job had a fleet of hundreds of F-250s, all had 285-70-17 BFG Ko2s. Saw almost no tire issues in the years I was there. Definitely won me over.

I also like the KO2, but it’s been interesting the last few years seeing how many frequent reported issues they have, but still seems very hit or miss. I had 3 sets on my jeep without issue. Also interesting to see how common they get negative feedback in snow/wet, as so many (myself included) have been happy with them in that regard, and I live in one of the wettest/snowiest places in NA.

That said, there are definitely tires that have caught up to that level and enough folks are finding them more to their liking than the go-to BFG. Ones that come to mind are the general grabber ATX, Falken AT3 (although they recently changed their compound), some Nitto, and the new Toyo AT3 is a great contender.

Joe Bacal’s feedback is interesting - in the latest tests they did, the KO2 was generally behind the other top contenders like Toyo, Falken, etc. I would still happily run them but think the days of KO being regarded as the end-all are no more, though that’s not to discount them as a good option. I was going to simply get another set for my 80, but couldn’t get 315s.. happy I ended up coming across the new Toyo though, which I’m enjoying, and wet/snow feedback was much better than KO2, granted they haven’t been out even a year yet.

971D253F-C185-424D-9478-01275622FCC3.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s some good recent discussion in these two threads

I also like the KO2, but it’s been interesting the last few years seeing how many frequent reported issues they have, but still seems very hit or miss. I had 3 sets on my jeep without issue. Also interesting to see how common they get negative feedback in snow/wet, as so many (myself included) have been happy with them in that regard, and I live in one of the wettest/snowiest places in NA.

That said, there are definitely tires that have caught up to that level and enough folks are finding them more to their liking than the go-to BFG. Ones that come to mind are the general grabber ATX, Falken AT3 (although they recently changed their compound), some Nitto, and the new Toyo AT3 is a great contender.

Joe Bacal’s feedback is interesting - in the latest tests they did, the KO2 was generally behind the other top contenders like Toyo, Falken, etc. I would still happily run them but think the days of KO being regarded as the end-all are no more, though that’s not to discount them as a good option. I was going to simply get another set for my 80, but couldn’t get 315s.. happy I ended up coming across the new Toyo though, which I’m enjoying, and wet/snow feedback was much better than KO2, granted they haven’t been out even a year yet.

View attachment 2458936
Wait.....your JEEP?? (?typo or just a minor stroke?)

OK, need tires and was about to pull trigger on Toyo M/T’s (ditching the noisy dry rotted 8yo duratracs still on the truck I bought). Mainly considering the M/T because not a DD, will be off road more than on. You’ve got my interest with the new Toyo A/T. Tell me more about your experience. I went from Duratrac’s to Falken AT3’s on a pickup and was extremely happy with them on and off road, although never went to more challenging terrain with them. My other strong contenders are the KM3 and new Firestone Destination M/T. Again, not for a daily driver. Btw running 315’s.

@Reachej....thanks for the thread. Updated tire thread never gets old. The KO(2) may not be the “best” tire anymore, but still is the gold standard to which the others are compared (at least to me for the past 30+ yrs)...

Daily: Toyo M/T or A/T. Cooper makes a nice tire as well.

Not so daily: The world is your oyster on lesser known brand tires right now. Check out Yokohama Geolanders and Milestar Patagonias. The reviews are pretty solid on these. I’m probably going to opt for the Yokohamas myself.

Wait.....your JEEP?? (?typo or just a minor stroke?)

Haha, blasphemy right? Don’t have it anymore. My 80 came from a friend and I jumped on it.. sold that old Jeep to a highschool kid who promptly blew the motor. Cruisers are pretty rare around here; I’d never seen one for sale until this one.

If you want MT I’d probably stick to it. The Toyo is a nice one, and the AT3 is a sweet all terrain. Upper end of wet/snow performance with the new compound, full sipes, not loud so far, seem smooth on road, etc. Sidewall tread is kinda mellow. My main “needs” are nasty snowy winter/ice performance and near constant rain outside of that, but not a lot of off-road like most of you guys. You sound like a good MT candidate, but doubt you’d dislike these if you were a fan of the Falkens and KO2.

Last edited:

Not so daily: The world is your oyster on lesser known brand tires right now. Check out Yokohama Geolanders and Milestar Patagonias. The reviews are pretty solid on these. I’m probably going to opt for the Yokohamas myself.
Really interested in those new Yoko M/T’s. Very different. Read a few “reviews” that weren’t overly favorable. So new that just haven’t heard much real world experience with them yet or seen them on the trail. Reluctant to get them without more data, but look forward to hearing from guys who get them on their rigs...(esp 80’s w/ 35’s or 37’s)

Really interested in those new Yoko M/T’s. Very different. Read a few “reviews” that weren’t overly favorable. So new that just haven’t heard much real world experience with them yet or seen them on the trail. Reluctant to get them without more data, but look forward to hearing from guys who get them on their rigs...(esp 80’s w/ 35’s or 37’s)

I have the Yokohama Geolandar GO15 AT’s on my ‘94. They’re great - I love them. They look good and they’re very quiet on the road/highway.

We have the new KO2’s on work trucks and I don’t like how they pick up so much gravel and small rocks in the tread. When you reach pavement they kick them all out making a huge racket. My old Falkens would do this and chips people’s windshields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom