2020 Morrison Jeep Trail Organization Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,
This weekend is the Morrison Jeep Trail trip. We will be running the trail on Saturday and want to be starting the switchbacks around 9, this means you head down Friday night to the trailhead in Clark, WY, or you leave Bozeman by 5am on Saturday...most people prefer Friday for obvious reasons. In the past the switchbacks and remaining trail back to Beartooth pass haven’t taken all day so there are two options, camp Saturday night or hit the road back to Bozeman. This is all dependent on timing and congestion on the trail. I would be prepared for camping Friday and Saturday just to be on the safe side, that also means bring enough provisions, food and water, for two nights out.

Here’s some words of wisdom from years past:

“The Good:
It is the most beautiful scenery you could imagine. The trail really is not that technical, but really fun. You might make it through with no damage*.

The Bad, and The Ugly:
*You might damage your vehicle. There is a nasty boulder on one of the switchbacks that will scratch your sliders. I got impatient with it, hit the gas and tore off a fender flare. I think I could have avoided it. It is exposed. Very exposed. Very little room for error. The switchbacks are tight. The best way to do some of the switchbacks is backwards....yes, backwards. If you have anything longer than a Land Cruiser, you're in for a real challenge. If you're afraid of heights, scratching your truck, or not good on steep sections with your clutch, this might not be a good trail to do.”

“My 05 Tacoma Access cab has a 127.8" wheelbase and is 208" long in total according to edmunds. It was a serious challenge to get around some of the switch backs, multiple attempts, different angles, forwards, backwards, and 5+ point turns. There were a few that had me uncertain if I'd end up making it around at all.
"Very little room for error...not good on steep sections with your clutch" Manual transmission here, with the narrow and steep switchbacks and massive drop offs the consequences are extreme with roll back. My clutch start cancel and current gearing weren't enough on the steep sections to get a start without roll back so expect to slip the clutch a decent amount.“

So the moral of those comments is your rig needs to be mechanically sound! This trail is taxing on cooling systems, hence the early departure time given the high temps we’ve been seeing. You need good brakes and a functioning parking brake. If you’re driving a manual your clutch will get a workout. If you’re in a longer wheelbase, sliders are going to be your friend. And last but not least, this is the trip to leave the trailer at home.

All normal trail ride club rules apply and comms are required.
HAM: 146.460
CB: 16

Via @ttFJC
“Important info:

Directions to trail head in Clark, WY:
Find your way to Hwy 310, Bridger Montana, which is your last gas stop so make sure you top off. Out of Bridger you'll turn right on 72 south and follow that for about 30 miles to 292, Edelweiss Haus is at the intersection, where you'll turn right and follow that to the trail head. If you pull past the parking lot you'll see the trail head and then the trail where most folks camp.

Trail Recomendations: 33-inch tires and rock sliders, especially for the longer wheelbase vehicles. 31s probably would do fine on shorter wheelbase vehicles. The rocks that make up this trail are hard on tires. If your stuck on the switchbacks, your cooling system will be tested. I suggest using a-trac or lockers on the loose spots to not dig holes for other users. There are only a couple of spots where clearance is required, however, this trail seems to have a tendency to have rocks constantly changing positions and the truck in front of you may roll a rock into your path that you can either push out of the way or hit something on. Be careful in the water holes as there is one in particular that hides a tailpipe smasher. You absolutely need a working parking brake.

Fuel opportunities: Bridger MT is the last opportunity. Red Lodge, MT or Top of the World, coming from the other side. A full tank should be fine and you should not need gas cans but be mindful that there is no gas in Clark. It is 3 houses and a barn if even that. Edleweiss Haus also does not have gas.

Gps coordinates for the trailhead:
W109 18' 54" N44 50' 45"

Previous trips:

2018 Morrison

2016 Morrison

So who is planning to go??

Friday departure:

Saturday departure:

I have done some reading about this trail, and have seen the videos. This will be an exhilarating trip for those who are going. I hope you have a great run. The heights, drop-offs, and switchbacks have me spooked. Not a trail for me. Coincidentally, I drove past Clark yesterday.

Hey everybody,
This weekend is the Morrison Jeep Trail trip. We will be running the trail on Saturday and want to be starting the switchbacks around 9, this means you head down Friday night to the trailhead in Clark, WY, or you leave Bozeman by 5am on Saturday...most people prefer Friday for obvious reasons. In the past the switchbacks and remaining trail back to Beartooth pass haven’t taken all day so there are two options, camp Saturday night or hit the road back to Bozeman. This is all dependent on timing and congestion on the trail. I would be prepared for camping Friday and Saturday just to be on the safe side, that also means bring enough provisions, food and water, for two nights out.

Here’s some words of wisdom from years past:

“The Good:
It is the most beautiful scenery you could imagine. The trail really is not that technical, but really fun. You might make it through with no damage*.

The Bad, and The Ugly:
*You might damage your vehicle. There is a nasty boulder on one of the switchbacks that will scratch your sliders. I got impatient with it, hit the gas and tore off a fender flare. I think I could have avoided it. It is exposed. Very exposed. Very little room for error. The switchbacks are tight. The best way to do some of the switchbacks is backwards....yes, backwards. If you have anything longer than a Land Cruiser, you're in for a real challenge. If you're afraid of heights, scratching your truck, or not good on steep sections with your clutch, this might not be a good trail to do.”

“My 05 Tacoma Access cab has a 127.8" wheelbase and is 208" long in total according to edmunds. It was a serious challenge to get around some of the switch backs, multiple attempts, different angles, forwards, backwards, and 5+ point turns. There were a few that had me uncertain if I'd end up making it around at all.
"Very little room for error...not good on steep sections with your clutch" Manual transmission here, with the narrow and steep switchbacks and massive drop offs the consequences are extreme with roll back. My clutch start cancel and current gearing weren't enough on the steep sections to get a start without roll back so expect to slip the clutch a decent amount.“

So the moral of those comments is your rig needs to be mechanically sound! This trail is taxing on cooling systems, hence the early departure time given the high temps we’ve been seeing. You need good brakes and a functioning parking brake. If you’re driving a manual your clutch will get a workout. If you’re in a longer wheelbase, sliders are going to be your friend. And last but not least, this is the trip to leave the trailer at home.

All normal trail ride club rules apply and comms are required.
HAM: 146.460
CB: 16

Via @ttFJC
“Important info:

Directions to trail head in Clark, WY:
Find your way to Hwy 310, Bridger Montana, which is your last gas stop so make sure you top off. Out of Bridger you'll turn right on 72 south and follow that for about 30 miles to 292, Edelweiss Haus is at the intersection, where you'll turn right and follow that to the trail head. If you pull past the parking lot you'll see the trail head and then the trail where most folks camp.

Trail Recomendations: 33-inch tires and rock sliders, especially for the longer wheelbase vehicles. 31s probably would do fine on shorter wheelbase vehicles. The rocks that make up this trail are hard on tires. If your stuck on the switchbacks, your cooling system will be tested. I suggest using a-trac or lockers on the loose spots to not dig holes for other users. There are only a couple of spots where clearance is required, however, this trail seems to have a tendency to have rocks constantly changing positions and the truck in front of you may roll a rock into your path that you can either push out of the way or hit something on. Be careful in the water holes as there is one in particular that hides a tailpipe smasher. You absolutely need a working parking brake.

Fuel opportunities: Bridger MT is the last opportunity. Red Lodge, MT or Top of the World, coming from the other side. A full tank should be fine and you should not need gas cans but be mindful that there is no gas in Clark. It is 3 houses and a barn if even that. Edleweiss Haus also does not have gas.

Gps coordinates for the trailhead:
W109 18' 54" N44 50' 45"

Previous trips:

2018 Morrison

2016 Morrison
BluMoose is in if there is a slot. Departure on Friday does work for me. I have a Toyota Access Cab 2011 Pro with rear lockers. Lifted a couple inches with 31's, rock sliders, towing package for extra cooling. I've watched the videos and value the advice above.

I was planning on going again but gave up my PTOff dibs for that Sat just last week. I need more time to plan for a day off at my place of work. Thats just me and my situation.
Have fun.

just found this while searching morrison....too bad you weren't running it last sunday when my buddy jeff and i were ;) have a blast! we did
39.jpeg

just found this while searching morrison....too bad you weren't running it last sunday when my buddy jeff and i were ;) have a blast! we didView attachment 2394819

Glad you had a good time Ige! Let me know if you get that close again and I’ll be there! I’m curious what did you think of the trail? Marco said it was tight on the switchbacks in his 60 but not really “hard.” Interested in what you’d compare it to difficulty wise from Colorado?

the switchbacks are not bad except for the toddler head sized loose rocks that you have to scurry over while working the switchbacks and the quick elevation climb. other than that, the switchbacks are no worse than black bear. the rest of the trail will wear you out just as bad with all the continued climbing then weaving through tight trees off camber with pig snot in the divots.

I've run that trail both ways and once down in the dark, had my copilot get out and walk, not for the faint of heart, Took my wife over on four wheelers she had fun, she would not go in the land cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom