2020 Land Rover Defender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For remote touring, I think the idea of the Defender hit a sweet spot by pairing class-leading payload (water, fuel, gear) with four wheel drive capability atop a not-too-big platform. That makes it a unique offering in the U.S.

But for me, Land Rover's poor reliability is disqualifying--especially given air suspension.

The idea is a good one. But it's an invitation to get out, go far, and get stranded.

For remote touring, I think the idea of the Defender hit a sweet spot by pairing class-leading payload (water, fuel, gear) with four wheel drive capability atop a not-too-big platform. That makes it a unique offering in the U.S.

But for me, Land Rover's poor reliability is disqualifying--especially given air suspension.

The idea is a good one. But it's an invitation to get out, go far, and get stranded.
Number 1 issue with Land Rover is reliability!
Ever wonder why you never see Land Rovers older than about 5 to 7 years old??
Ever wonder why you always see 20 and 30 year old Toyota trucks and 4R's (along with Camery's & Corolla's)???
'nuff said...

What makes you think the GX460 in stock form does not have offroad capabilities? Aside from street tires and possibly bashing the running boards, the 460 has ATRAC, can have Crawl and MTS. Has Low Range, has a solid rear axle for decent articulation.

Some might argue stock for stock a 460 is more capable than a 200 offroad.

I didn't mean to imply that the GX460 does not have offroad capabilities. Compared to the GX460, the Defender has a locking rear differential and AT tires in addition to all the capabilities of the Lexus. Maybe even with those differences, the two should be compared head-to-head? I'm fine with that.

I didn't mean to imply that the GX460 does not have offroad capabilities. Compared to the GX460, the Defender has a locking rear differential and AT tires in addition to all the capabilities of the Lexus. Maybe even with those differences, the two should be compared head-to-head? I'm fine with that.

I would take the ATRAC and the GX's solid rear axle over the defender set up.
I am excited to see what these defenders can do in the wild. I really wish they still had the removablel top

Locker is damn nice but can be added with Eaton/harop electric locker which is stronger, faster and way nicer than any mechanical lockers. Plus Toyota have huge after market support, they may it be labeled for GX but a lot of components are the same.

I always LOVED the look of LR and especially the disco 1&2. BUT could never pull the trigger because they suck soooooo bad when it comes to reliability. A friend gone through multiple engines and endless money and finally gave up.

LR will always look good, most likely get you there but coming home is a different story.

Freelancer/Ford Escape reboot!
It looks like a Kia Soul. If I see one in the wild, I fully expect it to be driven my hamsters.

Also, let's be honest here, hardly anyone buys any of these vehicles new for overlanding/wheeling. They're for soccer moms. No overlander ever needed third row power seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom