2019 GX460 - The beginnings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First time taking it off road.

46FFB1F0-9AE1-4CA1-9890-8934488D7620.jpeg

4C044799-92DB-443B-9DF2-6AC8745D3896.jpeg

The mud looks good on it, but the water could have been a little higher! :cheers:

HaHa! That looks fun! My friends and I were just up in Big Bear on Holcomb trail doing some "snow" wheeling on Saturday, 4 Jan. I was avoiding the large mud baths. It's just too much work cleaning the under-carriage of your rig after a day of mudding...

Could you take a couple of side shots showing how far the spare is from the rear door and the angle if any?
Also maybe a couple of it in the open position with and without the rear door open.
That'll give people a good idea of how this looks mounted.
From what you show, it looks so far!

Which UltraSwing model did you get? That looks awesome.
It’s the multi fit.

Could you take a couple of side shots showing how far the spare is from the rear door and the angle if any?
Also maybe a couple of it in the open position with and without the rear door open.
That'll give people a good idea of how this looks mounted.
From what you show, it looks so far!

it is pretty far. The problem is where the hitch is mounted on the GX. I’m going to put a 4 gallon rotopax on the inside that would fill in that gap.

88C899B2-08D2-42FE-9529-02D565C24D9F.jpeg

I’ll take more pics of it later.

Reactions: r2m
What made you go up from 265/70 to 285/70? Any noticeable difference in ride quality/capability? I have a set of ADVAN RGD2s on the way from showstoppers at the moment. Deciding between 265/70 and 285/70 has been ridiculous. Nice ride man.
265/70r17 is enough (.5" nominal clearance difference) and fits in the stock spare location along with other pros. Does it fill the wheel wells quite as much ? No.

Last edited:
265/70r17 is enough (.5" nominal clearance difference) and fits in the stock spare location along with other pros. Does it fill the wheel wells quite as much for the gram? No.
Haha. Love the honesty. I think I’ll go 265/70r17 lol. Thanks brother.

Haha. Love the honesty. I think I’ll go 265/70r17 lol. Thanks brother.
I can't imagine swinging out a spare and then the gate every time I want in the back. How annoying! That half inch just isn't worth it. Plus C loads are relatively common in the 265.

I can't imagine swinging out a spare and then the gate every time I want in the back. How annoying! That half inch just isn't worth it. Plus C loads are relatively common in the 265.
You get over swinging out the spare, but one always needs to be aware if there is anything that it can swing into!
Since my spare swing-out goes past the width of my rig, if I'm parked next to someone and they want to pull out, I have to swing in my spare a little to give them space. Same if I'm parked close to something, the swing-out may not open all the way.
Just something you get used to and I'd rather have my vehicle built as it is then worry about a spare fitting underneath, but that's me. :meh:

You get over swinging out the spare, but one always needs to be aware if there is anything that it can swing into!
Since my spare swing-out goes past the width of my rig, if I'm parked next to someone and they want to pull out, I have to swing in my spare a little to give them space. Same if I'm parked close to something, the swing-out may not open all the way.
Just something you get used to and I'd rather have my vehicle built as it is then worry about a spare fitting underneath, but that's me. :meh:
I get it if you need to run something like a 35" for rock crawling or something but for the majority of people I think it's all about looks over need/function. The difference between a 31.5" tire and a 32.5" tire is so minimal that it's not worth it to me.

In my real world experience all over the west a 32" tire is simply tall enough for everything except specifically running designated off-road trails. Heck for work I've run plenty of stock height domestic trucks on p metric oem tires on most stuff folks overland no problem. For running rough "roads" on FS/BLM lands I have very very very rarely run into situations where I haven't had enough tire and there has 99% of the time been an alternative route. Coupled with the pitfalls of running big tires (unsprung weight, wear and tear, cost, braking distance/safety, gas mileage, power, fitment, spare leveraging off the back etc.) and the calculus for me means running a slightly taller than stock tire along with a good but relatively short suspension lift.

On the 460 the stupid factory bumpers and lack of recovery points also mean a bit of trimming for the cbi bumper and replacing the side steps with the 4runner rock rails/sliders.

Just my experience and opinion for what it's worth. I would encourage people to spend more time exploring around with their stock rigs, finding the limits, and then building to fit their real world need/use vs just going immediately to the biggest/popular/looks.

No judgment (it's not my money/rig!) and I like looking at all the different approaches but that's my logic in case it helps someone make a choice!

On the 460 the stupid factory bumpers and lack of recovery points also mean a bit of trimming for the cbi bumper and replacing the side steps with the 4runner rock rails/sliders.
My 2018 has 4 nice recovery points. They aren't the best I've seen, but they are plenty good for most tugs unless they get rusty (same as on the FJ). They are much stronger than the typical transport tie down points, which are often just a hole stamped in heavy-ish sheet metal on the frame.

My 2018 has 4 nice recovery points. They aren't the best I've seen, but they are plenty good for most tugs unless they get rusty (same as on the FJ). They are much stronger than the typical transport tie down points, which are often just a hole stamped in heavy-ish sheet metal on the frame.
Where are there 4? I am aware of the two loops on the frame in the front. My problem with them is the location is so low/far back that it makes it pretty hard to attach to and pull without messing up the bumper. I ran a hidden winch mount with recovery points on my 470. Really wish there had been a similar product for my 460.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom