2019 4runner Rear Lift Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Former Tacoma owner, new 4runner owner here. I'm looking to run the same FOX 2.0 front coilovers that I had in my 3rd gen Taco and I'm wondering if I should modify the rear as well. I've heard from various sources that it is possible to get a slight lift from only replacing the rear coil springs. Is it possible to do this without swapping out the rear shocks?

(I'm hoping to preserve some rake while improving my angle of approach.)

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Former Tacoma owner, new 4runner owner here. I'm looking to run the same FOX 2.0 front coilovers that I had in my 3rd gen Taco and I'm wondering if I should modify the rear as well. I've heard from various sources that it is possible to get a slight lift from only replacing the rear coil springs. Is it possible to do this without swapping out the rear shocks?

(I'm hoping to preserve some rake while improving my angle of approach.)

Thanks!
I assume you are getting T4R-specific front shocks and not using the Taco ones. Am I right? The travel distances are different in front between the Taco and T4R, so you want a vehicle-specific application. As for the rears, your issue with a spring-only lift is travel. The stock shocks don't have as much travel as aftermarket ones that are meant for lifted vehicles, so you could possibly damage your shocks extending past the stock stroke when articulating using longer springs.

I highly recommend you talk to Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad to get some info about various options for the T4R. Contact
Fox shocks are decent, but there are several other options out there with better bang-for-your-buck performance that are more customizable and are specifically designed and proven for the T4R. I don't have any personal financial interest in referring you - just a happy repeat customer. He carries a lot of products not on his website, so don't worry if you don't see options you are looking for there. But he is one of the most knowledgeable suspension guys you will meet in the business and even if you don't buy from him he will give you solid advice.

I assume you are getting T4R-specific front shocks and not using the Taco ones. Am I right?

The stock shocks don't have as much travel as aftermarket ones that are meant for lifted vehicles, so you could possibly damage your shocks extending past the stock stroke when articulating using longer springs.

I highly recommend you talk to Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad

Hey Tex,

Yes, you are correct. I would be considering the T4R vehicle specific units for the front coilovers. As for the rear, I'm used to having to swap leaf spring packs and do the full shock swap as well, but I read some stuff contrary to that on a different forum and wanted to run in passed the guys who actually wheel.

Thank you for the reference to Kyle, I'll have to hit him up.

Thanks again,

You can also do an Airlift airbag install...you can get a slight lift and future benefit of load leveling...cheap and easy to do.

If you do want to wheel it, then I don't see why you'd not swap out your rear shocks. As previously stated, they could limit your travel and be damaged in some cases, so to optimize the benefits of the new springs, you should pair them with a shock designed to travel similarly. With IFS trucks having limited front end travel, your rear is going to do a lot of work and keeping those two tires on the ground is going to maximize your traction.

I added a 1" rear spacer in combo with the factory TRD Pro Bilsteins and I haven't had an issue. If you want to do it correctly then you will want to change them out together. I have been happy using spacers to get a small added lift and some life out of the Bilstein suspension that came on the truck for this first year, but should we decide to keep her I will be putting a proper complete lift with coil overs on in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom