Builds 2018 Tundra Intro-Eventual Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying out the build thread thing, see how long I can keep it going.

Picked up a new '18 Tundra limited crewmax last July with the jbl sound system (jbl system is not very impressive I must say.)

Backtrack a little bit. Previously I owned a 2012 Sr5 crewmax, was an awsome truck, no intentions of getting rid of it until an elderly man side swiped me, totaling the tuck. Though HEAVILY about purchasing an HDJ81 cruiser as I drive my FJ60 way more than I drive the tundra, but decided against it because a truck bed suited my needs better than that sweet 1HD-T in the 80 series.

So far, no issues with the new truck. As of last week my sister backed her car into my tundra and dented up the front bumper up pretty good. The plan is to replace the bumper with an ARB summit. Suspension will follow with an ARB set up. Also planning on switching the giant 20s out for either TRD 18s or method 17s. I'd like to evetually have a rig that can do the daily driving and some remote camping, FJ60 is on camping duty now, but sadly it's gotta go as having two vehicles for the same purpose is redundant.

This will be a very slow and dragged out build thread, I have very limited time to work on both rigs.

Tundra Forum.jpg

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

I've noticed this side of MUD has significantly less traffic than the cruiser stuff. Let's get some commentary going!
Well couple of months later and phase one is complete. Glad I decided to do the work myself, but man that bumper was a ton of work to put on. End result was worth it! This is the first ARB bumper I've owned and so far I'll say it's a very nice bumper and the fit and finish is great. Decided to try the goodyear duratrac tires out and so far they are very quiet and best of all 35s with no rub, didn't have to remove the mudflaps. The truck rides stiffer, but thats to be expected since I went with the heaviest springs OME has available.

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_E1526.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

Looks good! Got a 200 series for my wife (actually a 2010 LX) and noticed how active that forum is compared to this one....

I'm about to pick up a 2015 double cab limited 4x4 tomorrow. It'll be replacing my second gen taco (Access cab, TRD Off Road, 4x4, 6-speed) that has a lot done to it (Icon Mid-travel, ARB bumper, Warn Winch, etc.). I've loved my tacoma, but we had our first kid and need some more room. I'll hang onto both for a bit to make sure I don't regret the decision.

Nice build so far. I'm on my second Tundra too. First was a 2012 that I sold to a friend earlier this year and replaced it with my new 2019. So far I'm enjoying the extra power and larger fuel tank the most! For your less than ideal JBL stereo, I suggest looking up James Randy Taylor (goes by tech12volts on tundras.com and the AOT Facebook page). He specializes in Tundra audio upgrades and has killer prices.

ps - How did your old truck end up losing its rear axle like that being side swiped?

Looks good! Got a 200 series for my wife (actually a 2010 LX) and noticed how active that forum is compared to this one....

I'm about to pick up a 2015 double cab limited 4x4 tomorrow. It'll be replacing my second gen taco (Access cab, TRD Off Road, 4x4, 6-speed) that has a lot done to it (Icon Mid-travel, ARB bumper, Warn Winch, etc.). I've loved my tacoma, but we had our first kid and need some more room. I'll hang onto both for a bit to make sure I don't regret the decision.

I actually looked at a Tacoma when I was shopping around. It’s cool truck, locking rear diff was tempting! My issue was I’m on the taller side and the seat set all the way back would not allow passengers behind me. For me it was tundra or nothing at that point.
That Tacoma sounds like a sweet set up!

Nice build so far. I'm on my second Tundra too. First was a 2012 that I sold to a friend earlier this year and replaced it with my new 2019. So far I'm enjoying the extra power and larger fuel tank the most! For your less than ideal JBL stereo, I suggest looking up James Randy Taylor (goes by tech12volts on tundras.com and the AOT Facebook page). He specializes in Tundra audio upgrades and has killer prices.

ps - How did your old truck end up losing its rear axle like that being side swiped?

The larger fuel tank alone makes the newer trucks far more attractive. As far as the stereo, the JBL system is nothing to be proud of. My old tundra had the non-JBL setup and the sound was much better. I’ll definitely take a look at his audio products. That will most likely be my next project.

The aftermarket wheels I had on that truck had some pretty good offset. They stuck out enough to where the car that side swiped me hit the tire first. My theory at least.

Love the look of the truck. I have a white 2011. The front bumper on your totalled truck looked great. White and silver Tundras look awesome. I just slapped a set of the black TRDs on my sequoia and love the look.

Thanks! I really liked the look of that bumper I had on my 2012. Looked at the one offered for the 2014+, but I really didn’t like how it looked. The arb bumper is on another level of quality compared to that smittybilt bumper. Funny, the only reason I chose a white one was because the dealerships in my area didn’t have cavalry blue or cement gray trucks with a sunroof! The 18s are great, way better looking than the 20s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom