2016+ Steering Wheel Leather Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The steering wheel "leather" on our 2016 is subpar also. Very sticky and mushy but not as ugly as some of the pics above. Makes me feel a little better LOL. Also ours has a few chips in it from my wifes fingernails also on the edges where the leather meets the wood. The terra interior on the flipside is holding up better than ANY other 100 or 200 I've had.

Reactions: dmc
Is there anyway to get a recall on this if everyone (or most) have it?

I attempted to get Toyota to cover this on my 16, no luck. They said they would make note of it only. I'm like odd the steering wheel looks very similar to my 2014 ls460 and that one has no issues.

Is there anyway to get a recall on this if everyone (or most) have it?
That's what I'm hoping to create. My fear is there is just such low volume for Cruisers in the US that Toyota won't acknowledge the issue like they have in other regions. I think recalls are all safety related but it could be a TSB or campaign.

I attempted to get Toyota to cover this on my 16, no luck. They said they would make note of it only. I'm like odd the steering wheel looks very similar to my 2014 ls460 and that one has no issues.
They just responded to my request. I have a case number and have been asked to call them. I'm sure i'll get the same answer.

The steering wheel "leather" on our 2016 is subpar also. Very sticky and mushy but not as ugly as some of the pics above. Makes me feel a little better LOL. Also ours has a few chips in it from my wifes fingernails also on the edges where the leather meets the wood. The terra interior on the flipside is holding up better than ANY other 100 or 200 I've had.
yeah the interior leather feels much better than previous generations.

I'm sure we'd all be happy to take lots of photo evidence if you need it.
as many photos as I can accumulate the better so please share them. I have some insider connections that I'm going to chat with on the best way to approach the issue.

IMG_2638.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg

There was a thread previously mentioning 2016 and 2017s were particularly affected.

Anyone with a 2018+ with the issue? @dmc can Kurt help escalate at Toyota?

My 2016 looks just as bad as all these photos, peeling on the left side of the steering wheel. When I was looking about a year ago at 2016+ LCs with 50-80K miles, every single one had some form of peeling on the steering wheel.

Had 16, 20 and now 21 LC. None had the issue. The 16 I kept for 4 years and only defect it had was a scratch which I have caused. BTW during covid I didn't touch the wheel until my hands were dry after disinfecting. As well I don't wear any rings on my hands or use lotions. Since biggest damage on pictures seems to be on the left side, could it be weeding rings?

i sent an email on toyota usa as well and got very similar response. I actually cut and pasted this thread in the email

I say we all send an email to them and maybe....just maybe with enough steam we can get something going.

Maybe now with the 300 they have a bunch of extra steering wheels to fix this clearly defective material
I hope you are reading this Toyota USA Customer Relations.

Someone should post it on Twitter...corps seem to respond to that tactic too....

I'll call them and add my name to the list

There was a thread previously mentioning 2016 and 2017s were particularly affected.

Anyone with a 2018+ with the issue? @dmc can Kurt help escalate at Toyota?
I have some direct contacts that work in customer sat issues. They're normally mechanically based however and have to be escalated through the dealer. I got some recommendations and will post them when I get some more time.

Yeah, 2016 here doing the same thing...leather seems soft enough that I could cut it with gentle fingernail pressure. Likely will go the re-cover route...

Mine 2017 is showing similar wear.. it’s too early. I have always been careful with lotions and all.
Does anyone know the part# of steering wheel?

Chiming in to confirm that my 2017 is experiencing the same steering wheel peeling issue. Any feedback from the folks who reached out to Toyota directly?

My 2016 had the same problem. I was going to contact Toyota as well, but traded it for a 2020. The leather was the only issue, but it looked like is was 15 years old, not 5.

My 2016 had the same problem. I was going to contact Toyota as well, but traded it for a 2020. The leather was the only issue, but it looked like is was 15 years old, not 5.
The odd thing is I have A 2014 Lexus ls460 sedan with a similar steering wheel as my 2016 LC, but the older Lexus looks new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom