2016 rear backup camera upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DomSmith

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone succeeded in upgrading their OEM backup camera?

The view from the backup camera on our 2016 is a little washed out and not super crisp.

Compared to our 2021 Highlander it's pretty bad.

I'm sure there are multiple factors at play with one big one being screen resolution: The Highlander has a much clrearer, crisper, higher resolution screen no doubt.

But it got me thinking that maybe I could get a little improvement if the newer cameras have better specs than the 2016.

It looks like 2016-2018 use: Part # 867B060041

For 2019-2021 use: Part # 867B060042

867B0-60042 Genuine Toyota Camera Assembly, Tv W/DY - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~camera-assy-tv-w-dy~867b0-60042.html

Prefer a clean plug and play solution vs third party camera that needs wire splicing etc.

Anyone with experience or suggestions?

Thanks!

Did you ever come up with a solution here? Ironically, I have a 200 and Highlander that are both 5 years older than yours and was just thinking last night "Man, this camera/screen on my (2016) Highlander is SOOO much better than my LX".

Is it the camera or the in-cabin display infotainment resolution that is sucky?

Having replaced the factory infotainment unit with a 16" Tesla style infotainment unit with 1080P display, I can confirm that the factory camera is poor quality :).

A better camera looks better on the crappy stock display. Not saying it is tesla worthy, but it is crisper, sharper, and looks a lot clearer. I have a $35 amazon camera on the front of mine that replaced the factory camera and it is great.

I have not had any time to pursue any solutions.

I have no plans to replace the screen so if a camera upgrade is doable I will probably start there when I have some time. @CharlieS do you have a link to the front camera you have found to be a little cleaner?

I have not had any time to pursue any solutions.

I have no plans to replace the screen so if a camera upgrade is doable I will probably start there when I have some time. @CharlieS do you have a link to the front camera you have found to be a little cleaner?
I don't have it at my fingertips, but I did post a thread about it here on the 'mud 200 forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom