1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Outback Japan 76 (ARB/OME)

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by gkanai, Feb 21, 2015.

1. gkanai

gkanai

Media:
    I recently drove the Outback Japan 76 demo truck. Outback is the ARB/OME importer for Japan and they threw all of the ARB/OME parts on the new 76. It is running the stock wheels with 315s with a 2-inch lift. I was bracing for a stiff ride and while I didn't take it off road, it was very comfortable on road, maybe even smoother than the stock Toyota suspension (I drove a stock 76 before this for comparison.) I think the ride was helped by the fact that the aftermarket parts like the bumper, winch, drawers, helped weight down the truck a bit. Anyway, this changed my mental image of OME as I had always imagined OME to be really stiff/tough.

Question 1: does anyone know if the Toyota winch would work with an aftermarket bumper like a TJM or an ARB? The Toyota winch is pretty aggressively priced here in Japan (about equal to a mid-level Warn) so I'm considering it but would like to have the option of an aftermarket bumper if I wanted to do that in the future. No one here knows so I just wanted to ask if anyone has tried that.

Question 2: is there an easy way to relocate the driver's seat further back for a little more room? I'm 186cm and even with the seat all the way back, it's a bit tight for me at the knees.

Full photoset here: http://imgur.com/a/tq6QO

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Tapage likes this.
  2. divemedic

divemedic

Media:
    Albums:
    Is that roof mounted console factory!? That think is sweet!

3. gkanai

gkanai

Media:
    Definitely NOT factory. That is an ARB or ARB sub-brand unit. I think Outback was able to put their logo on the unit for Japan but any ARB retailer should be able to get you that.

4. JTarnow

JTarnow

I wonder if there's a way to get one of those roof consoles in the US, that'd sure be really cool in my BJ73.

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    :sigh:

If only.......

Major Nelson, beno and Landpimp like this.
  6. mbagsh55

mbagsh55

Hi Guys,
    A newbie here who just bought a GRJ76K in Japan and been reading through various posts. If you are interested in the roof console just Google "Outback Roof Console". I can see at least one distributor in Miami listing the 70 series versions (pickup differs from the van type) - and the US price of $300-$350 is a bit better than what I see here in Japan. Seems a lot of money for a couple of LED lights and some storage but it looks well made.

gkanai likes this.
  7. gkanai

gkanai

Media:
    Thanks! Are you heading to the Land Cruiser Festival down near Nara? I think it's this weekend. I can't be there, sadly.

8. mbagsh55

mbagsh55

I won't going since it is my kid's sport's day this Saturday, and we have in-laws visiting. The latter does make me want to get out of the house even more than usual.

9. gkanai

gkanai

Media:
    Gotcha. Are you in the Kanto region? I am in and out of the area but happy to meet up with another owner the next time I am in the area. I have the OME 2" if you want to try that

Otherwise there's a FB group of Cruiser owners in Japan I help admin if you want me to add you. Send me your details on DM or search for group ランクル友の会

beno likes this.
  10. mbagsh55

mbagsh55

Thanks for the link, I just joined (applied to join) the FB group, although I am not very active on social media. I'm based in Nagano by the way - up in Togakushi, so lots of excuse to use the 4WD in winter even if I don't get to go properly off-road.

gkanai likes this.