2014 LX570 Bumper Build (CBI Style / Dissent Style) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I really like the design of the CBI Bumper / Dissent for the LX570. I didn't want to wait the +12 weeks for Dissent to build one. I also called CBI and they don't even make the bumper, it was a one off prototype or something. So I decided, during this holiday season, I'll stay in the garage and build myself a bumper. I had leftover metal from another build I completed earlier in the year and needed to clean out the shed, or at least this was the excuse to the wife.

If anyone likes this bumper and would like me to build them one and not wait the +12 weeks, I can.

Slowly i'll upload pictures / plans of what I have done.

11/27/2021 plan
Reinforce the bumper to withstand rocks
Drill holes for easy access for winch and frame bolts
Drill out winch rope line
Drill out fog projector light
Build bracket for fog projector lamp
Complete welds on driver side

IMG_20211125_124117.jpg

IMG_20211125_124133.jpg

IMG_20211126_135402.jpg

IMG_20211126_135407.jpg

IMG_20211126_164249.jpg

Last edited:
Interested to see where this ends up?

So I really like the design of the CBI Bumper / Dissent for the LX570. I didn't want to wait the +12 weeks for Dissent to build one. I also called CBI and they don't even make the bumper, it was a one off prototype or something. So I decided, during this holiday season, I'll stay in the garage and build myself a bumper. I had leftover metal from another build I completed earlier in the year and needed to clean out the shed, or at least this was the excuse to the wife.

If anyone likes this bumper and would like me to build them one and not wait the +12 weeks, I can.

Slowly i'll upload pictures / plans of what I have done.

11/27/2021 plan
Reinforce the bumper to withstand rocks
Drill holes for easy access for winch and frame bolts
Drill out winch rope line
Drill out fog projector light
Build bracket for fog projector lamp
Complete welds on driver side

View attachment 2849321

View attachment 2849322

View attachment 2849323

View attachment 2849324

View attachment 2849325
This is interesting.

One thing that comes to mind is that on my Ironman bumper, they provide a couple really long bolts with “Clevis nuts” that slide into the frame rails.

It’s hard to explain via text, but I think they did this so they’re more than just bolts on the end of the frame rails/horns to keep a winch from pulling itself off the vehicle…or a particularly violent recovery snatch…it’s an extra big “grabber” holding the bumper on.

Think of it like a couple hitch pins that keep the hitch from sliding out the receiver…except there’s one on each frame horn for the bumper.

Something to consider.

Hell yeah brother. This is the way!

Im curious what the total cost is in materials, aluminum or steel.

Keep us posted man, these posts on custom work and installs are by far the most useful information the forum offers.

Did you really knock this out in less than 2 weeks in your garage?

Do you want to build another one? 🤣

Did you really knock this out in less than 2 weeks in your garage?

Do you want to build another one? 🤣
Yea it is really simple. I just needed to get the designs, angles that i wanted. I want to say it took approx 7 days of welding, grinding, designing. If I can ever get this CAD program to work it should take approx 2 days to build, onces I actually have all the pieces pre-cut.

Are you local to Los Angeles?

Finally finished the cad file. During Christmas my cousin who i haven't seen in about 1 year was telling me how he has been creating designing parts in cad for school. We discuss a little further and I find out he does stress analysis for car parts (prototypes). Next step is to minimize weight and increase strength.... Aluminum?!?

Yea it is really simple. I just needed to get the designs, angles that i wanted. I want to say it took approx 7 days of welding, grinding, designing. If I can ever get this CAD program to work it should take approx 2 days to build, onces I actually have all the pieces pre-cut.

Are you local to Los Angeles?
Sorry, I was out of the country for bit. I’m not local Los Angeles but I’m willing to take a drive.

Looks great ! I'd find out which model has the longest wait times and go there. Just guessing but there might be more demand for the GX460 do to the long front overhang. I think aluminum for a GX460 might not be very price sensitive.

Good Luck !

Looks great ! I'd find out which model has the longest wait times and go there. Just guessing but there might be more demand for the GX460 do to the long front overhang. I think aluminum for a GX460 might not be very price sensitive.

Good Luck !
I have a gx460 which I can test with. The bolt patterns for both cars are identical. The only difference is the length between the frame rails. When i take it apart I can check the angles and basically make an identical one just with updated measurements which after building this thing is as easy as updating the new dimensions.

Good Luck !
So i was trying to find a CAD file with the hoops. It appears there is no cad file for it so i decided to build them myself. The appear to be an identical design which is on the bumper now.
1641136131862.png

So i was trying to find a CAD file with the hoops. It appears there is no cad file for it so i decided to build them myself. The appear to be an identical design which is on the bumper now.
View attachment 2881693
From the analysis, this bumper would way around 160lbs bare. I'm trying to reduce the weight or have some type of aluminum, steel hybrid.

My personal behavior is to always overbuild things.You can build an almost indestructible bumper, but it still won't protect the hood and windshield. I was told by a friend that some of the heavy tow truck bumpers after a time would crack the truck frame even without being involved in an accident.

I'd set a target of less weight than your competitors. I think a hybrid with perhaps a steel winch mount and aluminum outer might be a winner. You could use the same steel winch mount on a steel or aluminum bumper.

Any updated pics? If you’re at 150ish lbs my LX570 is 100% in for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom