2013 or wait for 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Right to the question...should I get an 2011-2013($16K-$23K) now cause I can afford it or wait a year from now and get a 2014-2016($30K +/-)? Main concern is based off of the revised Infotainment system that was changed in 2014 as that is not easily upgradable do to the integration with climate control.
Can you hear, respond to text messages while driving with 2013? 2014? through the dash system? (I live in a completely hands free state)
I like the front end of the 2013 better than the redesign 2014 but will eventually upgrade to ARB or other bull bar bumper. Any other factors/changes? I have been searching and reading for several months now.

History:
1989 FJ62
1997 FZJ80
1976 FJ40
2011 Xterra

I don't know about hearing txt messages. I imagine you would need Android Auto or Apple carplay apps going for that.
There are complete Android replacement kits on Aliexpress (Android 8.1 is the latest I could find) for about $1k.

2014 has the blind spot monitor and the newer headlights.
I personally would go for the 2013. I did.

I have a 2013 GX460 Premium and love the hands free phone for calls. Bluetooth always connects with just stepping into the vehicle. Never need to fiddle with pairing or connections.
Now regarding, I've never looked into audio text or what's involved. I have a Galaxy Note 8 and it's completely trouble free when using it in the car. I may look to see if there are any Android apps for text reading and dictating.

2010-2013 for sure. Front end was a deal breaker for me regardless of upgraded tech. Plus, I daily a 2008 200 series--tech is awesome in GX compared to my LC

Thanks guys for the info. Curious to hear from a 2014+ owner.
Tripledave, do you have a write up on the Rebadging??? I want to convert the Lexus emblem to Toyota and add Prado and Land Cruiser all over.

Having previously owned a vehicle with BSM, I never realized how much I missed it until I purchased a 2013 and returned it the next day (due to some other undisclosed issues). I instead purchased a 2019 and hadn't realized how accustomed I had become to the BSM, as bad as it sounds, it is a very worthwhile safety feature. I also like a few minor tweaks in the newer ones on the center console with the removal of the slide-down door and the graphics/interface of the touchscreen are cleaner. IMHO, the headlight output on the 2014+ is much better than the 2010-2013 and I've actually grown to prefer the newer front end (grill and DRLs) to the older bugeye look. I cut the front end up after 4k miles of ownership and added a bullbar, so the grill shape was kind of a moot point anyways as there really isn't much left as shown below.

At the end of the day, the GX 460 is a great platform, regardless of year.

MVIMG_20190702_101027.jpg

Last edited:
The '10-13s had more features which were standard, which makes it easier to find one you like.

You will see a lot of '14s with no heated/cooled seats for instance. They even have some without leather (vinyl instead). These issues would make looking for a '14 more complicated, but loaded ones still exist.

Reactions: r2m
Didn't know there was any vinyl in North America! I thought that was only a Prado thing.

Didn't know there was any vinyl in North America! I thought that was only a Prado thing.

My 2019 Premium has the faux leather standard. They only offer real leather in the Luxury model now. I actually like it better than real leather and it should hold up better as well if it is anything like what MB uses for their MB Tex faux leather.

I don't think the infotainment upgrades for 2014 are that drastic. It's functionally the same with a minor aesthetic facelift. I could have bought a 2019 but specifically wanted the 2013 due to the body. I hate the spindle grille and euro lights that they incorporated, and prefer the more conservative design of the pre-2014 body.

Yes, upgrading the infotainment is not a simple task, and this was my primary concern, coming from a vehicle where I used Android Auto every day. But, surprisingly, I transitioned well to the stock '13 infotainment and don't miss Android Auto nearly as much as I thought I would.

Bottom line - go for the body style you prefer, and if you like sound, try to find a Premium with the Mark Levinson system in it. Pre-2014 Premiums were much rarer than I expected them to be. Other benefits of the pre-14 Premiums that I enjoy more than I expected include the upgraded real leather, and the Knights Pearl or whatever it is gray paint that is more pleasing to the eye than whatever the dark grays they put on the newer years is.

So I finally found one. I am the new owner of a 2014 GX 460 Premium. 2 issues, one was a sqeaking blower motor(got replacement) and second is leaning on left side. Haven't tried the KDSS adjustment yet but can I just get 10mm Packers/shims to counter the lean?

15f684f4f6b46b3aa6d5f77c42daebcf.jpg

I’ve got a 2010 now w/ 139k on it - never an issue. I don’t think I could stomach paying 30k+ for essentially the same vehicle with arguably worse styling and approach angles, when low mileage earlier editions Might be available for much less. Just my opinion, but I really prefer the earlier styling and given we are 10 years into this generation Prado, a low mileage early version is the better buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom