2013 GX460 Slight Lift - Need Help with lean (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Little weekend project I did recently....
Maybe this should be posted in a different thread instead of me starting a new one...if so...my bad.

Installed:
Front - Bilstein 5100 struts with OME Light Duty Springs (#2884) - Ordered Pre-assembled from YotaMafia
Rear - Bilstein 5100 shocks with stock coil and 25mm Ironman spacers (I’ll probably eventually purchase some new rear coils that’ll provide 1.5” of lift. Something like the ironman light duty coils or BILSTEIN 36281824)

Reasoning:
I really just wanted to level it out and improve the stock ride a bit. Originally planned to just re-use the stock front springs... but YotaMafia claimed the 5100's with OME 2884's would accomplish roughly 1.5" of lift and that sounded perfect. I had about 1.5" of rake anyways and thats where I figured the 25mm spacers in the rear would allow me to keep about an inch of rake. And..... it did exactly that.

Measurements after install, finally getting the KDSS to level out (more on this in a moment) and giving the new front springs a few days to settle:
(I measured from the ground, up past the center of the wheel to the fender)
Front driver and passenger = 36 3/8"
Rear driver and passenger = 37 3/16"
So roughly 20.5mm higher in the rear

Before the slight lift, I was sitting close to 35” in the front and 36.3ish” in the rear.

Now….. there is an issue that I can’t seem to figure out that I thought was a KDSS caused issue (may still be…idk). I managed to get my GX to level completely out after multiple times loosening the KDSS valves and allowing it to sit on a level surface for a bit and then tightening it back up…. But for some reason after driving around and stuff the vehicle keeps settling into a position where the rear drivers side is one inch higher than the rear passenger side. The front is ½” higher on the drivers side versus the passenger side.
So I’m thinking maybe it isn’t a KDSS issue? Maybe the rear passenger coil is sagging? Maybe once i fill the gas tank up it'll level out (will try this today to see what happens)
I’m pretty much out of ideas and my next solution is to go ahead and get some new rear coils to see if that helps, but I’d love to not have to do that right now if possible.

07E8834A-AFB1-430D-B763-00EF42600BAA.JPG

98F67F56-57F1-4D86-9B4E-AF208EA8BE8E.JPG

0774B232-714F-4E2E-A5A1-7C6642DBB68C.JPG

E3336632-24A5-4872-872F-8AB9F9285605.JPG

IMG_2295.jpg

I'm a little confused in your post in exactly what you mean by "lean".
It sounds like you're referring to the front being lower than the back, but then you talk about KDSS which refers to left and right lean.
Can you please specify which axis you're referring to with "lean"?
Do you mean KDSS for left to right? If it's this, there are several posts on how to fix. I think one way is rolling the lower side up n a 2x4 or something and then do the venting. But look for the post for a more accurate/detailed process.
Or just the rake of suspension, front to rear?

Similar thread for you: 2013 GX460 kdss lean fix ? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2013-gx460-kdss-lean-fix.1147101/. TSB says a stiffer front passenger spring will fix. Might be worth trying out. Been toying with mine as well; stock +32" tires and have about a 1" lean as well. LexusUSA claims this is a normal tolerance.
Thanks for the info!
I'm going to measure it again after i fill up the tank to see if that makes any difference at all.
I'll probably end up putting stiffer springs in the rear to see if that helps. No one will really notice but It's going to drive me crazy until i can get it to sit more level. Also, my GX pulls to the right while driving. Not terrible but certainly noticeable. It did it before the lift as well, and the only thing that didn't change was the rear springs and the kdss. Gotta be one of those two causing the lean and pull... or at least i hope it is.

I tried something similar to the wood block trick on that video but no luck.... i may try a bigger piece of wood (thats what she said).

I'm a little confused in your post in exactly what you mean by "lean".
It sounds like you're referring to the front being lower than the back, but then you talk about KDSS which refers to left and right lean.
Can you please specify which axis you're referring to with "lean"?
Do you mean KDSS for left to right? If it's this, there are several posts on how to fix. I think one way is rolling the lower side up n a 2x4 or something and then do the venting. But look for the post for a more accurate/detailed process.
Or just the rake of suspension, front to rear?
The rear drivers side is an inch or so higher than the rear passengers side. Thats what i'm really wanting to correct.

Reactions: r2m
wondering if the KDSS spacer would help your issue? Im getting ready to lift mine as well and trying to understand how the KDSS spacers fix the lean.

If not you could maybe use a taller spacer on the passenger rear. Cornfed makes a 1.5 rear spacer.

I would try two things, before I threw any money at it…
Fill the tank, and have someone else do the measurements while you’re sitting in the drivers seat.
Perhaps it would assuage your “lean-angst“ (which I suffer from as well) if you knew the vehicle was level side-to-side while you were driving.

I think all you need to do is loosen your KDSS valve, get a 4x4 block, drive the rear driver's wheel onto it slowly, stop the vehicle, re-tighten KDSS valve and it should then be about level for you. I had the same issue after installing leveling springs and it fixed my issue. Google 200 series KDSS lean and there is a video that shows how to do it. It took me like 10 minutes total.

Sorry for the delay, been out of town.......So a couple days ago i did try a couple of things.
I filled the tank up with gas, measure while on flat surface. Results where interesting. The front (left and right side) was level and the rear (left and right) went from being just over an inch difference to being about 3/4" difference. So pulled the rear drivers tire onto some traction boards, loosened the kdss valves, allowed it to sit for a few minutes, tightened the valves, pulled down off the boards and measured again...... no change at all... still 3/4" difference (which honestly i can live with). I need to get someone to measure while i'm also sitting in there and have a full tank.

alright... measured again with me in the drivers seat. No real difference... i don't have enough butt i guess.

At this point, it is what it is. I'll just keep driving and see if it settles a bit more or whatever.
Knowing me i'll probably convince myself I need some new light duty rear coils before too long.

I also have an issue with my GX pulling to the right... sometimes kind of hard and sometimes its hardly even noticeable. Did that before the new struts/springs/spacers, and still does it now after the slight lift and alignment. So my problems with lean/pull may be deeper rooted than the kdss.
Luckily a dedicated land cruiser shop just opened up about two hours from me, so i may just ride up one day and let them tell me what I should do.

So I had the exact same issues with pulling from day one and it made it very tiring to drive. Multiple alignment checks all said things were spot on, but finally took it to a good shop that understands the needs of those who modify and they told me KDSS spacers and the Panhard relocation bracket all sold by Treaty Oak were the fix. Never thought such small items would make such a huge difference, but they did.

So I had the exact same issues with pulling from day one and it made it very tiring to drive. Multiple alignment checks all said things were spot on, but finally took it to a good shop that understands the needs of those who modify and they told me KDSS spacers and the Panhard relocation bracket all sold by Treaty Oak were the fix. Never thought such small items would make such a huge difference, but they did.
Thank you for the info!
I looked into kdss spacers but figured since my lift was so slight, roughly 1.5ish" up front and about an inch (25mm) in the rear, that I really shouldn't have to worry about doing anything outside of loosening the valves and allowing it to settle. That's the whole reason I chose to go with a very mild lift versus a 2-3" set up.... dang if you do, dang if you don't.....

I did measure again in the grocery store parking lot to help make certain i'm sitting on a very level surface and the driver rear is like exactly an inch higher than the passenger rear. The front driver and passenger side are very close to level with the driver side just slightly higher (roughly 1/2").... I think this annoys me so bad because the passenger rear is not only lower than the driver rear, it is also lower than the passenger front. Therefore making the passenger rear the lowest point on the vehicle. Clearly something is keeping the suspension in that section of the vehicle from extending properly. I'll eventually figure it out.... in the words of Liam Neeson, "I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."

SOLVED! 🤘

You will all be happy to know that it turned out to be a simple ID-Ten-T error. (Aka...i'm an idiot)
I pulled the GX in the garage this morning, removed the spare tire, rolled up under there and just stared at suspension for a while. Finally I noticed the spacer on the driver side rear coil looked just a tad bit thicker toward the side nearest the rear of the vehicle. Moving the spare tire really helped to to see everything better. Turns out the spacer didn't seat properly when I installed it. So i jacked up the GX, used a racket strap and slowly pulled the coil foward forward until the spacer popped into the correct position.
Front driver/passenger are level, and now the rear driver passenger are within just under 1/2" of each other (i have the kdss valves open and will let it settle for a bit). All this headache for a self inflicted wound..... smh :doh:

Thank you all for trying to help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom