2013 GX460 kdss lean fix ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys i just bought the GX460 Saturday and it’s got about an 1 1/2 - 2 lean to the front passenger side. I’ve read about the KDSS system maybe off a little.

Are there any ways that some of you could tell me about resetting the kdss system. I’ve seen a lot on YouTube. But maybe you guys have some tricks or hints.

My FJ doesn’t have KDSS and I’m glad.

Thanks
Thom.

I thought it was the air bags that caused that condition. I can't see why the KDSS would do that. If I'm not mistaken, all the KDSS does is deal with the sway bar. It shouldn't affect ride height.
I could be wrong. Let's see who else chimes in.

Last edited:
It’s a well known issue and there’s actually a TSB for it. I’ve owned 3 Gx’s. The 2010 was fine, 2014 had the lean and my new 17 doesn’t.

Kyle Fogle with Treaty Oak Offroad can help you with it. I see so many GX’s with the lean.
I’d like to add that after having the Lexus dealership installEd the TSB, it sorta fixed it. I do believe Treaty Oak was about to release a fix for it. Give Kyle a call

It’s a well known issue and there’s actually a TSB for it. I’ve owned 3 Gx’s. The 2010 was fine, 2014 had the lean and my new 17 doesn’t.

Kyle Fogle with Treaty Oak Offroad can help you with it. I see so many GX’s with the lean.
I’d like to add that after having the Lexus dealership installEd the TSB, it sorta fixed it. I do believe Treaty Oak was about to release a fix for it. Give Kyle a call

Oh my gosh!!! That is SO simple!! Chalk one lesson learned today!!
Thanks Carnevino!

Clublexus forum and the Gx off road group on FB has a few interesting reads on the lean.

I have done what the vid above details (seems our GX Kdss mechanism is a bit different) and still have a lean of 3/4” to the passenger side.

Lean only started (or I only noticed it) after shoving my sis-in-law in the rear most passenger seat for an extended road trip...

Also tried adding spacers (10mm of washers) to the height level sensor on the low side. Instead of jacking the low side up to level, the whole rear went up and the lean was still present.

Next trip, sis in-law will be on my side! Surely that will fix it??

Humm. One has to ask, is your sister-in-law, humm... How does one put this gently, ahh...
A full figured lady??

Humm. One has to ask, is your sister-in-law, humm... How does one put this gently, ahh...
A full figured lady??

Weeeeeell,,,,, I think most would say yes:) Not excessively huge, but full figured as you put it...........

Reactions: r2m
my GX used to lean. I had to refill my KDSS hydraulic system because of a cut in the line recently and now it does not lean anymore. Perhaps, it could use a little fill and bleed? Just wondering.

just notice the lean these days after i install the dobs 2" lift kit. not sure it is the dobs issue or it was leaning to the passenger side long time ago. i do aware the uneven tire wear so lots of things mixed here. i've got ~2cm lean. will dealer take a look at it if i've swapped the aftermarket suspension? or should just try the method above and see if it works or not? any suggestion? i would assume it is not adjustable on the dobs' coil side?

Last edited:
Mine has about 1/4" lean after the lift, it isn't enough for me to bother with it. The shop did open the KDSS valves when installing the kit so short of trying the block of wood trick I am not sure if I could improve it further beyond a coil spacer. Some trucks will end up with 1-1.5" of lean, that would drive me insane.

I believe 10mm is the spec that Lexus says it's acceptable.

Keep in mind anything under an inch of lean to the RH side is gone once the driver is in the vehicle.

So do you want it to be level while you look at it or level while you're driving it? ;)

I believe 10mm is the spec that Lexus says it's acceptable.

Keep in mind anything under an inch of lean to the RH side is gone once the driver is in the vehicle.

So do you want it to be level while you look at it or level while you're driving it? ;)
Typo. Not 2mm... it’s 2cm.... I’ll try to adjust the KDSS and see how it goes.

Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak can help you. He’s developed a fix for the 470 that’s now available for purchase....he helped me with my first 460 when I bought my Dobnson lift (slightly taller spring for passenger side). I believe Dobinsons sells the taller springs for all their lifts (non adjustable of course) that addresses & corrects te lean. you can definitely spot those that have the lean when driving down the road, so I don’t think it corrects or evens out when someone is driving the vehicl. I’ll also add that I tried getting it “fixed” at the dealer and after they did the “shim” it still didn’t fix it. Strange thing is sometimes it seemed so much worse than other times. I now have a 2017 GX that doesn’t have the issue. Good luck

There's a TSB about this, attached. But in the TSB, they indicate replacing the front left spring with an updated one. It's not clear if the new spring is taller or shorter. I guess there is some logic in that changes in one corner would have the opposite affect in the opposing corner. 🤷‍♂️ Think of chair with one leg shorter than the other three and how it would rock back and forth. With regards to KDSS causing the lean, could you disconnect the sway bars at the end links and then measure?

Attachments

• GX460 TSB Leaning.pdf
    133.6 KB · Views: 663
I had the dealer replaced the spring and that did not help in my situation. However, while trying to mount the bracket for my suspension lift, I had cut the KDSS hose. I had the system refilled and now it does not lean.

Hi There- newbie here. I have 2011 GX460 with the lean and the adjustment fix appears relatively straightforward. The one thing I’m confused about is when I look under to where the valve block is I see this metal shield With two bolts. Is it safe to remove the shield is anything attached to it that might cause problems. See pic.

6941A7E8-F1BB-4E0A-B096-887A5B9896A9.jpeg

Hi There- newbie here. I have 2011 GX460 with the lean and the adjustment fix appears relatively straightforward. The one thing I’m confused about is when I look under to where the valve block is I see this metal shield With two bolts. Is it safe to remove the shield is anything attached to it that might cause problems. See pic.

View attachment 2317603
You're fine, it's the skid cover for the KDSS unit, they are 12mm remove them, then use a marker, mark the two 10mm bolts and back them off a total of 3 turns

You're fine, it's the skid cover for the KDSS unit, they are 12mm remove them, then use a marker, mark the two 10mm bolts and back them off a total of 3 turns

Got it! Thanks - I did the adjustment. I did some other research and the KDSS on my Lexus looks like the one on a four runner. It’s 2-2.5 turns of the bolt. Was able to raise the right front by 1 inch.

I attempted to fix my lean by doing what's in the Land Cruiser video. I live in Maine and the bolts were pretty corroded. Couldn't get one to close back all the way. Ended up blowing out my KDSS system after running down a dirt road. A connection popped off in the rear. Was $2,000 to fix at a Lexus dealer. My independent shop that's a giant business for Lex/Toyota wasn't able to do the repair. Luckily, insurance covered it. Beware! Just get those bolts tight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom