2013 Bouncy rear suspension after towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, second time this happens, first time after I towed with the 200, the rear suspension fell bumpy, and I decided to change the rear shocks. I felt like the shocks had blown, and the feeling went away with new shocks. At that time the car had approx. 95K miles and I felt it was time to change them, and probably the tow, had something to do with them going bad.

I don't tow much, and I used to tow with a Tundra with no problems before for years.

Fast forward this past weekend. I decided to tow a 2006 SC430, on my trailer over 500 miles, and back with the empty trailer 500 miles. On the way back, the jumpy feeling came back, and I thought the trailer tires needed balancing, and thought nothing of it.

But I've been driving the 200 back and forth to work, and It feels again jumpy in the rear. Its only been less than 15K miles since I put new OEM shocks from Toyota. I cant believe, the shocks went bad again.

I hate to put new shocks every time after every tow, lol, and don't want another Tundra.

I have researched into Airbags and or maybe upgraded rear springs for towing, but wanted to hear some opinions.

Not sure if firestone airbags are the best option, I can import from Australia..

went through this thread, but it goes sideways on big camper topics and other stuff

dont mind to modify the truck either, but not looking to get a lift either.

just looking for a setup that will not blow my shocks when I tow a car hauler, with a car on top, which is only few times a year, and not planning on towing a heavy camper, or towing regularly. I dont off road either..

airbags and upgraded shocks maybe, just want to see what other guys in my position are doing.

Im sorry if the question may be to vague, i tried to be as specific as I could...

Maybe time to baseline the items you can tire pressure, check hitch connection etc. Try another trailer. Another thing that occurs is the problem appears to be in rear of vehicle but is really caused by something on the front?

That sounds frustrating.

A little more info please. Did you change the front shocks when you last replaced the rear shocks?

I ask because as much as the bouncing feels like it comes from the rear, the chassis really works together as a system. It's probable that the front shocks are worn too, putting more damping load into the new rears, potentially compromising them too.

That sounds frustrating.

A little more info please. Did you change the front shocks when you last replaced the rear shocks?

I ask because as much as the bouncing feels like it comes from the rear, the chassis really works together as a system. It's probable that the front shocks are worn too, putting more damping load into the new rears, potentially compromising them too.
all 4 shocks were changed, front were changed before the rears. Changing the rears solved the bouncy problem. when you ride the rear seats, the bouncy feeling gets worse...

Maybe time to baseline the items you can tire pressure, check hitch connection etc. Try another trailer. Another thing that occurs is the problem appears to be in rear of vehicle but is really caused by something on the front?
tought about it, but the feeling gets worse sitting in the rear.. plus the steering wheel does not vibrate.

been looking at these

or these

but not so sure. of course these with airbags....

been looking at these

or these

but not so sure. of course these with airbags....
Sometimes just sometimes it pays off to start with the simple stuff, at least that's what a friend told me.

I’d look at other suspension components and make sure nothing is loose or worn, like sway bar bushings. The factory suspension can take a ton of abuse, so unless you were way over the rear axle weight rating or unless one is leaking (or loose) I don’t think this is a shock issue. If one is leaking, then you got unlucky.

I towed a 5000# trailer with a 650# tongue weight, 5 passengers, and a few hundred pounds of camping gear (basically the truck was at or above GVWR) for about 6000 miles my first year of ownership on stock suspension. At the time the truck had about 55-60k miles on it. Factory shocks held up fine. Many others tow on factory suspension without issue as well

i have not had time to go over the suspension, like I said, i thought it was the trailer. The truck was never abused, and mostly highway miles. has offroaded on loose rock maybe twice, so i doubt its going to be something serious,

It could be maybe unlucky, or an unbalanced tire this time maybe? but I do swear, this rear bounciness was not there before the tow trip. So I know something is off, Its due for some service, ill have them look at it.

Sounds goofy but any changes to seat adjustments lately? Out of balance tires?

Sounds goofy but any changes to seat adjustments lately? Out of balance tires?
nope, the tires had been balanced often, but it could have gotten out of balance in the rear during this trip. I hope is something simple.

but Im leaning into just airbags for now, when towing and go from there. once i find source of vibration

If airbags just make your suspension stiffer wouldn't that exacerbate the issue?

Shocks getting hot and fading from hard use is definitely a thing, but they should cool down and return to normal. Simple towing, even heavy, permanently damaging the internals of a shock doesn’t seem like toyota landcruiser build quality at all. An oil leak could explain all of this.. no visible oil on the shocks? Especially coming from the upper end of the lower internal portion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom