2011 Land Cruiser towing capacity drop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I would point out that the 2011 Land Crusier will have revised towing cap at 8200lbs...the Sequioa will drop to maximum 7400lbs.

Just thought I would point out that the 2011 Land Crusier will have revised towing cap at 8200lbs...the Sequioa will drop to maximum 7400lbs.

Any explanation as to why?

Just saw a beautiful blue Landcruiser towing a new 25' Airstream Flying Cloud down Hwy 99 in Central Cal.
My dream rig and trailer.

Well Toyota has some pretty good marketing people because the 2010 LX570 could tow 8500lbs while the 2011 LX570 drops to 7000lbs.....Where did 1500lb go?

More plastic? :grinpimp:

Where did 1500lb go?
The 2010-2011 are identical. Only the spec. changed.

Prior to 2013 there where no standarized tests for towing capacity ratings. So a manufacture could make a number up. Short of getting sued after an accident while towing, there really wasn't any consequence to inflating the numbers. Once one manufacture did, all had to follow along with their own inflated numbers to stay in the game. Many people who tow understand this and so make sure that when they buy a tow rig that it had significant margin given their expected trailer weight. I went with +30% on my last tow rig.

So, given the change in tow rating by Lexus, it appears the LX570 Series fails at least one of the new SAE tests at 8500lbs but can pass all the tests at 7500lbs. Toyota lowered the rating now, as it chose to adopt the new standard this year, two years early. As the other manufactures adopt the standardized rating they are expected to have to make similar adjustments. From a consumer point of view, this is all good as the ratings now have real world meaning. If the tests match your performance expectations you can purchase a tow rig without needing to guestimate some sort of margin for safety.

It would be nice to know which tests the LX570 did fail on at 8500lbs. The temp guage moving on a 100 degree day on a 5% grade in Arizona is much different than a failed brake test. As one can possibly avoid the first situation, or it may not apply at all depending on where one lives, but at some point one will have to stop. It could also be something that an aftermarket upgrade could deal with if you are near the limit.

Any 200 series owners towing 5,500lb or more here on mud? Shopping for an Airstream trailer and would prefer to ride in a LC than a pick-up truck. Considering tow vehicles. Thanks!

So now it's offical. The 4.5 diesel has a higher tow rating than the 5.7 petrol.
:D

3,500kg vs 3,180kg.

My 22 foot Prowler travel trailer (23' long) probably weighs over 5,000 pounds loaded. I've camped many times in the mountains of Colorado. I think you could even go a little heavier and still be OK, but i wouldn't go any longer.

It took a little experimentation to get it to handle the way I like, but now it is fine. I ended up with about 39# in the Cruiser and about 36 in the trailer. I adjusted the equalizer bars so that the front and rear the Cruiser dropped the same amount when hitching up. I also found it very important to keep the the trailer level to within an inch from front to rear.

There's plenty of power and gearing is good even with my 33 inch tires. The cooling system is incredible. I've never seen the temperature gauge move even when climbing the steepest passes in hot weather.

Trailer Life lists the 2011 Cruiser at 8200 pounds and the LX at 7000 pounds.

Any 200 series owners towing 5,500lb or more here on mud? Shopping for an Airstream trailer and would prefer to ride in a LC than a pick-up truck. Considering tow vehicles. Thanks!

I've towed a 26' travel trailer with a GVWR of 6,000lbs with a WD setup and it handled it fine. Plenty of power, braking was fine as was cooling and the transmission. My diesel pickup has 30" more wheelbase and a lot more torque so does fine with 15k and 30' 5er but the 'Cruiser does just fine with the smaller TT and I don't doubt it could handle a max of 8,000 lbs okay but I wouldn't want to go any higher.

Thanks Carl, we are looking at 25 and 27 ft Airsltreams, Wt is 5,500 dry. I would never consider anything longer!

I wonder if contacting Airstream could shed any insight. The 25ft International has a GVWR of 7300lbs, and the 27ft International is 7600lbs. Could that be too close to the LC's 8200lbs with this new rating?

If your traveling to established campgrounds with hookups and water you could always run light and carry less water until you park. However, since you've got an LC something tells me you'd be hitting up more primitive sites.

Check out this picture from the Airstream site. If I'm not wrong that's two 100's and an 80 series. Funny thing is the 80 series with the worst tow capacity has the largest Airstream, perhaps 25' or longer. The Airstreams behind the 100's seem to be maybe a 22' and a 16'.
airstream.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom