2010 Newer Front Clip Modification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the front clip from a 2010 to a newer looking front clip? I've looked at this website, 2010-2020 Lexus GX400 GX460 Upgrade Conversion Body Kits (car-act.com) and I am interested in knowing if this is a legit company anyone has used and if so, what their experience has been.

Has anyone changed their front clip? What was your experience and what all was involved? If you have done it, do you have any before and after pictures you can share?

For the total cost and effort, IMO it might be easier to upgrade to a newer GX. The paint and labor alone would be thousands, plus non-OEM parts often have a reputation of needing more bodywork effort to fit right.

Seen a few do it on GXOR, CL ... thread here on CL

The AFS HIDs are usually the biggest hangup unless you have a base with halogen lows.

I don't recall a workaround to eliminate dash error other than wiring in actuator components to the LEDs of retrofit kit.

Reactions: r2m
For the total cost and effort, IMO it might be easier to upgrade to a newer GX. The paint and labor alone would be thousands, plus non-OEM parts often have a reputation of needing more bodywork effort to fit right.
I would agree if I wasnt looking at a peridot green 2010.
Upgrading to a newer one is not in my price range 😞

Seen a few do it on GXOR, CL ... thread here on CL

The AFS HIDs are usually the biggest hangup unless you have a base with halogen lows.

I don't recall a workaround to eliminate dash error other than wiring in actuator components to the LEDs of retrofit kit.
Thank you SO much, this is super helpful!!

Just throwing this out there, but considering your color choice and the contrary front end available, here is option number 3:
Get a year you really like, along with all be bells as whistles, or without, whatever. Go and have it vinyl wrapped or painted.
As much as I love my rig, I'm not a big fan of monochromatic colors (e.g.: black, white, gray, silver, etc.) :yuck:
I've thought about doing a vinyl OD green or desert tan, but with my RTT and roof rack with all the lighting, too much trouble to remove everything for them to wrap.

Just throwing this out there, but considering your color choice and the contrary front end available, here is option number 3:
Get a year you really like, along with all be bells as whistles, or without, whatever. Go and have it vinyl wrapped or painted.
As much as I love my rig, I'm not a big fan of monochromatic colors (e.g.: black, white, gray, silver, etc.) :yuck:
I've thought about doing a vinyl OD green or desert tan, but with my RTT and roof rack with all the lighting, too much trouble to remove everything for them to wrap.
Nice thought! I dont know much about wraping, is it easily damaged? How much does something like that cost?

Keep in mind a vinyl wrap isn’t permanent. It’s an expensive reoccurring cost. I’d rather get it coated in bed liner color you like or repainted professionally as a one time cost.

Nice thought! I dont know much about wraping, is it easily damaged? How much does something like that cost?
Agree with * re_guderian, if you off road in areas with a lot of trees and branches sticking out and are prone to "pin stripping" then the vinyl may tear. But if it does, just pull it off and re-wrap the door or fender or what ever was scratched.
Yes, it is expensive, but less than a re-paint and it preserves your factory paint, should you ever want to sell your rig. And probably not too much more than trying to do an entire front end make over.
With a newer GX you'll (probably) have less miles, depending upon previous owner, you'll know that everything in the front works, e.g. headlights, running lights etc., not worried about it all aligning up when doing the make over. And when going in for any Lexus dealer work or whoever your mechanic is, it may cheaper for them to work on a factory stock vehicle than figure out how you front end is mounted, especially if you're in a front end accident.

Personally, my choice would be a newer GX with a vinyl wrap. But just my $1.00 (inflation) worth of opinion.

Agreed - I would suggest finding the value of your current GX, then estimating the cost for the front clip upgrade (done by a body shop, I'm guessing it's easily $7-10K). Then compare that to the cost of upgrading to a newer GX and wrapping it and selling your current GX. I see you are also in MO - newer GX's aren't too expensive here; they seem to pop up on St. Louis Craigslist somewhat often in the $30-35K range.

You might find it only takes a few thousand more to get in a vehicle that is 5-7 years newer with less miles. Also, the front clip upgrade won't really increase the value of your current GX at all, but a newer GX will always be worth more than what you have now. Unless you find an A+++ body shop, it's also unlikely they'll get the new paint to perfectly match up with your existing Peridot paint (due to the OEM paint quality being so exceptional). I used a top rated shop on my previous Mazda that got rear-ended and it was still noticeably different and the finish was not to OEM quality.

Just my $0.02 - these GX's are often a labor of love and don't make financial sense (mine certainly doesn't), but it's worth at least running the numbers to consider each option.

Agreed - I would suggest finding the value of your current GX, then estimating the cost for the front clip upgrade (done by a body shop, I'm guessing it's easily $7-10K). Then compare that to the cost of upgrading to a newer GX and wrapping it and selling your current GX. I see you are also in MO - newer GX's aren't too expensive here; they seem to pop up on St. Louis Craigslist somewhat often in the $30-35K range.

You might find it only takes a few thousand more to get in a vehicle that is 5-7 years newer with less miles. Also, the front clip upgrade won't really increase the value of your current GX at all, but a newer GX will always be worth more than what you have now. Unless you find an A+++ body shop, it's also unlikely they'll get the new paint to perfectly match up with your existing Peridot paint (due to the OEM paint quality being so exceptional). I used a top rated shop on my previous Mazda that got rear-ended and it was still noticeably different and the finish was not to OEM quality.

Just my $0.02 - these GX's are often a labor of love and don't make financial sense (mine certainly doesn't), but it's worth at least running the numbers to consider each option.
Great point about the front end make over not adding any value.
I would imagine a vinyl in a good color (like you'd prefer) on a newer GX may actually increase value. Not sure enough to cover the vinyl costs, but I would imagine more than redoing the front end. Most people are finicky about mods that are too invasive, that may interfere with operation and reliability.

Package G that would take a '10 to look like a '22 with headlights is around $2700 for the parts and around $1k for shipping. Obviously major savings if you did the install yourself.

Not sure what the painting would cost as this would be front and rear if they want to do an updated Peridot Mica.

2013 to 2020+ conversion here

One of the other advantages of a newer rig are some of the options not available or even able to mod onto the older GX's.
Example: dynamic radar, 360° camera's, and I believe the last couple years come with the MT and CC.

Actually one can mod radar cruise and PCS for 10-19 but expensive and probably not worth it for most

360 cameras for '14-'19 don't appear too bad..wish this Beatsonic option was available for 10-13

MTS and CC for 10-19 are fortunately easy... '20+.. will be an expensive mod once confirmed

Actually one can mod radar cruise and PCS for 10-19 but expensive and probably not worth it for most

360 cameras for '14-'19 don't appear too bad..wish this Beatsonic option was available for 10-13

MTS and CC for 10-19 are fortunately easy... '20+.. will be an expensive mod once confirmed
Yeah, I saw what the guy on the other Lexus forum went through!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom