Builds 2010 (2nd Gen) Sequoia Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been a while since I've posted here and I haven't posted much content on my build. I have a 2010 Sequoia Limited. My current mods include lift (Icon front, custom rear spring/shock), TC UCA, diff drop, hidden winch, rock rails, body armor. I'm currently on my 5th set of tires @ 105k miles. Stock tires came off at 10k, Toyo MT's in 275/70/18 (two sets), Toyo RT's 275/70/18, and newly installed Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/70/18. This will be pic heavy with some explanations of the pics. Let me know if anyone has any questions;

Here are pictures of when I first got my lift. Included was Icon Front c/o, stock rear shock with custom spring, TC UCA, diff drop, KMC XD et35 18x9, Toyo MT 275/70/18.

I like the et35 for the flush look. The Toyo MTs in 275/70/18 had no rubbing.

Here are some early pics of off-roading around Mammoth;

Hope you enjoyed the pictures

Last edited:
So after that initial trip, I discovered topping out issues on the stock rear shock. Well at the time there was no aftermarket support for the Sequoia so I contacted Brian Jowett and he had King custom make a set of shocks for me.

I was then ready to go on my next trip to Mammoth;

Next up, rock rails and winch;

Rock rails, 2nd from left, made to length. I decided against the kicker and kept just a clean look.

Sizing up location and how far I wanted them to stick out.

Very apparent that I will need to get under armor protection for the gas tank.

Completed rail with attachment points

Welded on frame attachments

Final outcome

I also wanted to have a hidden winch. Looking back, I should have just got an armored bumper but wanted the cleaner look of a hidden and be able to keep my parking sensors.

With the new rock rails and winch, I took my son to Death Valley.

On our way to Reward Mine

The mine was huge

Views from the mine

On our way up to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town

Coming down the back side of Cerro Gordo proved to be quite challenging.

Uh Oh....

Not something you typically want to do.

Realizing that dragging gas tanks over rocks was probably not the brightest thing to do, I went back into the shop for some much needed body armor.

Here is from the front looking back;

Transmission Case

Gas Tank

Rear Dif Skid

Gas tank anchor bolt

Take that thing to Cruise Moab! I would love to see some videos of a sequoia jn Moab

Looks awesome!

As an owner of a white 2008 4WD Sequoia, you are making my mind think dirty thoughts about the cool mods I should do to mine.

We're a family of 5 who loves to camp, and taking the FJ60 to the remote sites is getting harder and harder as the kids grow up. Just not enough room.

Are those sliders and skid plates off the shelf production parts, or did you have them custom fabbed?

Are those sliders and skid plates off the shelf production parts, or did you have them custom fabbed?

The sliders and skid plates are custom. I've seen people use RCI and Budbuilt skid plates with minor mods though. I'm sure you can find a fab shop locally to make you some. I've also seen a few Sequoia build threads with custom sliders. As for my skids, there was significant structure welded to the frame which surprisingly made things stiffer. That said, I'd try the RCI route first. I believe you can buy the Tundra gas tank strap with the 2 bolts to be able to hold onto the skid. This would probably be your least painful route.

love the hidden winch. i didn't want a big bumper on my tundra and have decided to go hidden too.

Great build thanks for sharing. Has the factory tank size become an issue?

An issue in which way? It does suck that my general on road range is 280-300 with an average 10-11.5mpg. When I go off-road, mileage drops 8-9ish but I always carry 8 gallons of spare fuel. So generally have about 250 mile total range off-road. I'm heading to Death Valley in May and currently plan on being 200ish miles gas station to gas station. So cutting it slightly close. My previous off-road trips have all been 150-180 miles gas to gas. That said, I'm looking at getting a swing out rear bumper in which I could up the current 8 gallons to 10 gallons by using jerry cans. Though that's a big $$ commitment so still unsure about it.

I love this thread: great build and great photos. Quick question: what would you change (if anything) about your build?

Thanks and great question. Understand what I would change now is different than what I could do at the time. In 2010, there was zero aftermarket support for the Sequoia which is why a lot of my stuff is custom. Outside of sharing the Tundra front end (A pillar forward), you couldn't really find much.

All that said, what would I do different? Probably not much. I absolutely love my Icon front shocks. Damping is spot on. I wish they made something for the rear. Radflo recently came out with a suspension kit that looks promising. My King rear shocks are still not valved right and that's something I would change and looking to change. I've seen some others post using Tundra underside body armor which I thought was cool. Using the Tundra gas tank strap allows you to use the Tundra gas tank armor. I like my Total Chaos UCA and they've lasted a long time on the standard solid bearing. The offset of my wheels allows me to run 34" tires without rubbing. I'm looking at getting a swing out rear bumper and possibly front bumper. If I change the front bumper, it would remove the need for my hidden winch. Oh, and I wouldn't mind updating my lighting configuration (head light, fogs, and auxiliary).

For my needs, my build works out pretty well. I haven't had a need for built-in drawers, fridge, or a full length rack. Actually, one thing I may look into are quick connect sway bar links for more articulation. I guess there are other cool things with electrical distribution/backup systems but time and cost inhibit projects like that. But that's about it. Let me know if you have any other questions about the build.

Have you found the 8k winch to be sufficient for such a big tree?

That is a gorgeous rig! I have toyed with switching up and getting a 2nd gen. The 5.7 alone is about worth it to me, I wish I had that power in my 100, and with a slight lift and aggressive tires it looks straight badass.
What does it have for factory traction control? LSD or ATRAC, and do you like how it performs? Any plans on locking up the differential, or have you not had enough of a need to? I figure with independent rear you probably wouldn't be tackling too hardcore of trails, and judging by your pictures/videos the truck handles just fine as is with your driving skills and precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom