2009 lx570 CEL strikes again P0717 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Well, got another check engine light again, with all the lights on the dash... 3rd cel in approx 2 years of ownership.. Not too bad, but have 4 other cruisers 80s 100 etc and I don't think I have ever gotten 3 cels on all 3 combined over the yrs.. This 200 is just picky...anyways..
CEL p0717 is the code from my torque app. Quick lookup states might have something to do with speed sensor circuit no signal.. Anyone ever have this issue/cel come up on 200 series platform? I don't have a 200 series FSM avaliable so don't really no where to start.. Google search just provides random issues with other Lexus models....

Screenshot_20181219-115222.png

* Additional Info*
Fwiw, truck drives fine even with or without CEL on.. Erased code with my torque app, only to have it come up again after about 10 miles driving...

Take this all with a grain of salt as I'm doing armchair diagnostics.

CEL p0717 seems to be generally associated with the transmission. Specifically the input shaft speed sensor. It would seem to me whatever sensor there is, likely within the tranny, is fouled or broken and not giving correct, or any output.

Cars can generally can run fine without these types of inputs as they are a cross check reference to internal computational models of what's typical and normal. Or you may notice odd shifting symptoms rather than a steady state issue. It could also affect torque converter lockup functions.

I would be guessing here, but unless it's a wire harness/plug issues external to the transmission, that it's going to require a tranny drop. And dealerships generally don't troubleshoot/fix trannies other than to replace them.

Take this all with a grain of salt as I'm doing armchair diagnostics.

CEL p0717 seems to be generally associated with the transmission. Specifically the input shaft speed sensor. It would seem to me whatever sensor there is, likely within the tranny, is fouled or broken and not giving correct, or any output.

Cars can generally can run fine without these types of inputs as they are a cross check reference to internal computational models of what's typical and normal. Or you may notice odd shifting symptoms rather than a steady state issue. It could also affect torque converter lockup functions.

I would be guessing here, but unless it's a wire harness/plug issues external to the transmission, that it's going to require a tranny drop. And dealerships generally don't troubleshoot/fix trannies other than to replace them.
Thanks for the unput.... Tomorrow I will set the ahc on high and take a look at all sensors connections going into transmission...Once I unplug each one, I'll slap on some dielectric grease and see if any terminals/plugs on sensors look dirty or frayed/broken etc.. Was wondering if anyone had pics of the 2 speed sensors or location on tranny that can be the culprit?

Last edited:
Think I found all my answers... Awesome youtube vid about the AB60 toyota transmission... Here is a link and a couple pics from vid

Screenshot_20181219-182324.jpg

Screenshot_20181219-182510.jpg

Good sleuthing!

Once again toyota does a good job of making stuff not only reliable, but easy to work on. Yeah, these trucks are adding a lot of complexity compared to older J-chassis (starter? Thermostat?) but the trade off is the power and sophistication.. then you have things like this.

Those sensors are located on the top of the valve body of a GM 6L80/90 requiring dropping the pan and valve body assembly. Actually I’m not even sure if you can change the sensors independently on that model.. they may be built into the circuit board.

Either way.. looks relatively easy to R&R sensors if you determine the issue isn’t harness related.

Once again toyota does a good job of making stuff not only reliable, but easy to work on. Yeah, these trucks are adding a lot of complexity compared to older J-chassis (starter? Thermostat?) but the trade off is the power and sophistication.. then you have things like this.

Those sensors are located on the top of the valve body of a GM 6L80/90 requiring dropping the pan and valve body assembly. Actually I’m not even sure if you can change the sensors independently on that model.. they may be built into the circuit board.

Either way.. looks relatively easy to R&R sensors if you determine
When I first got the truck couple years ago, it had the dreaded valley leak. Coolant would leak from the back of the engine down to the bellhousing, then to the passenger side of transmission. I am starting to think that coolant must have got into some of the terminal/connections of the sensor we speak of (Turbine Speed Sensor). This has happened to me before with the 80 series, well sort of. PHH was dripping coolant onto my NSS on side of transmission and over time, the coolant corroded a couple pins and they broke off when I went to inspect that plug/terminal. I suspect that there is either a contaminated pin/s in Turbine speed sensor connection or it might be already corroded .. I will report back today..

Last edited:
Well, well, well..... Definitely looks like dried pink coolant to me...... Have not disconnected terminal / plug off yet or sensor waiting for the catalytic converters to cool down because I don't want to get burned...Looks like it's going to be a tight squeeze.... Can't wait to see how pins look inside.... On a side note, when I started it this morning the CEL was off...

20181220_085239.jpg

Last edited:
Coolant did get in plug, but male and female pins look good... Will have to test sensor..

20181220_093440.jpg

Did you solve this code ot have to replace anything?

I just got this same code with 4lo blinking and Trac Off message on dash.
Yup! Been fixed for years now.. Replaced that speed sensor and have never seen the cel again.

Reactions: BVE
Thanks for this thread @cc93cruiser, saved me some time and money!

I wanted to give some input for anyone else with the same error code.

Symptom: I was driving on the freeway when the 4Lo light started blinking, the check engine light came on and my dash display showed Trac Off. The truck seemed to be operating fine but definitely gave me some concern. When I arrived to my destination I cleared the codes but saw that I still had a permanent code for P0717 when running diags. The same lights came on about 15 miles in on the way back. I also tried disconnecting the battery and doubling checking my gas cap.

Resolution: Searching for the trouble code here helped a lot because I saw @cc93cruiser had the same lights on the dash. My truck was perfectly fine otherwise no other codes, and again, seemed to be running fine. I ordered part #894130C021 (Transmission Revolution Sensor) from my local dealer and it was delivered the next day. The sensor is just like the pic above (passenger side) and only takes a 10mm wrench. After 5 minutes, clearing the code and driving 15 miles the permanent code for P0717 is gone.

I wanted to note my original sensor didn’t seem to have coolant and/or visual damage whatsoever. I also feel my transmission shifting is smoother and if I was paying closer attention I wouldve caught how jerky the shifting actually was prior to changing the sensor. If you get this code please don’t drive too much.

more info:

Thanks for this thread @cc93cruiser, saved me some time and money!

I wanted to give some input for anyone else with the same error code.

Symptom: I was driving on the freeway when the 4Lo light started blinking, the check engine light came on and my dash display showed Trac Off. The truck seemed to be operating fine but definitely gave me some concern. When I arrived to my destination I cleared the codes but saw that I still had a permanent code for P0717 when running diags. The same lights came on about 15 miles in on the way back. I also tried disconnecting the battery and doubling checking my gas cap.

Resolution: Searching for the trouble code here helped a lot because I saw @cc93cruiser had the same lights on the dash. My truck was perfectly fine otherwise no other codes, and again, seemed to be running fine. I ordered part #894130C021 (Transmission Revolution Sensor) from my local dealer and it was delivered the next day. The sensor is just like the pic above (passenger side) and only takes a 10mm wrench. After 5 minutes, clearing the code and driving 15 miles the permanent code for P0717 is gone.

I wanted to note my original sensor didn’t seem to have coolant and/or visual damage whatsoever. I also feel my transmission shifting is smoother and if I was paying closer attention I wouldve caught how jerky the shifting actually was prior to changing the sensor. If you get this code please don’t drive too much.

more info:
Glad you got it sorted out. That's the beauty of this forum, everyone helps each other! :cheers:

Dash lit up like a Christmas tree on our 2009 LC, pulled out the scanner and got the P0717 code. Quick Mud search and found this thread. Part ordered and a little over 24 hours and 5 minutes of my time later problem solved!

Thanks guys!

Reactions: BVE
Dash lit up like a Christmas tree on our 2009 LC, pulled out the scanner and got the P0717 code. Quick Mud search and found this thread. Part ordered and a little over 24 hours and 5 minutes of my time later problem solved!

Thanks guys!
So fast forward from my last post and I'm still getting intermittent P0717 codes after replacing the front speed sensor. I guess it's worth seeing if the second rear sensor is being faulty but there's no consistency to it throwing the code. Sometimes it will be days or weeks with no lights coming on and then I can have it happen multiple times in the span of a day or two.

I’m curious if traction control really turns off when these errors occur. Seems like traction control is really important on a high center of gravity vehicle.

I’m curious if traction control really turns off when these errors occur. Seems like traction control is really important on a high center of gravity vehicle.

I can tell you on my FJC, if there is a problem and the dash lites up, those driving aides are 100% disabled.

So fast forward from my last post and I'm still getting intermittent P0717 codes after replacing the front speed sensor. I guess it's worth seeing if the second rear sensor is being faulty but there's no consistency to it throwing the code. Sometimes it will be days or weeks with no lights coming on and then I can have it happen multiple times in the span of a day or two.
Are you certain you got the front one? The front one is a PITA to get to compared to the rear one. Worth double checking, I initially swapped the rear one thinking It was the front and once inspecting more I noticed my error.

Are you certain you got the front one? The front one is a PITA to get to compared to the rear one. Worth double checking, I initially swapped the rear one thinking It was the front and once inspecting more I noticed my error.
It was the one on the passenger side so I assumed it was the front one, but now you've got me wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom