2008 Will not start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
I have a 2008 with 144K miles, early this morning I went to start my cruiser, and just got a click. I thought it was the battery and put a new one in it. Same result. I can hear the fuel pump running, the steering wheel moves from its parked position, but I get just a single click from the engine. Both the new and old batteries test with my DVM at 12.5 volts.

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks,
Kevin

I seriously can't believe the timing of this but tonight this happened to me. I tried 2 batteries, same scenario and then mysteriously it started. I'm 90% certain this is the problem. My 80 series never left me stranded, tonight I'm afraid to say I übered to get a new battery and it didn't make any difference. One hour later it randomly started. I honestly don't believe this car has many flaws but I have a 2008 with 130k miles and seriously think this is something to watch out for.

@Buddysuede did you wind up getting a new starter? does it still mysteriously work? was there something else going on?
i'm at 150K and the truck just didn't want to start tonight. dash, lights, everything works, but when I hit the starter button, I just get a thunk...

That sounds almost EXACTLY how my 100 series acted at about that mileage. I thought it was the battery...or perhaps caused by extreme cold weather... It clunked like that...but then would eventually start. New starter... ...All better...and had nothing to do with my battery. So ya...that mysterious start-up is similar to mine.

@TexAZ I wish I could help you here. I replaced the battery and it didn't make a difference. I put the original battery back in and it still didn't work but 15 minutes later no more clunk and it started right up. I've since tested both batteries and found both to be fully charged. I have no clue what gremlin was in the system that day. I've looked everything electrical over and found nothing. The only thing I can come up with is that either the starter is actually starting to go bad or that by pulling the battery or just disconnecting the posts the computer reset and fixed the glitch. That was months ago and I've never had a single issue since...completely weird. My only suggestion would be to unhook the battery, wait for 10 minutes and reconnect. I hope it works for you and it's not really the starter. In my 80 you had fair warning about the starter as it slowly went over time before completely going out; you used to be able to bang it with a hammer for months and it would still crank, seems like the same would be true for the 200.

Last edited:
@Buddysuede , I pulled the battery and took it to an Autozone to test. checked out good. been reading up on the tundra forums...same motor, same starter, same issues. the common theme with them, if it starts to click and no start, be forwarned...starter is dying. seems pretty common around 130-150k miles. obviously depending on usage and climate. I've read two procedures for replacing. Autozone starter is $155 for rebuilt. i'll post up procedures that work/didn't work and pics. seems like something for the Cruiser guys to start to look out for as our mileage starts to get up into the "stuff breaks" zone...

Mine ended up needing a new starter, it had 145k miles. Couple weeks later my radiator started leaking too. I hope I have some smooth sailing ahead.

my 2008 with 114K in Texas, has had radiator replaced due to crack (I called Toyota Corp and complained it was BS , being its my 5th cruiser and never had that happen (1987, and 3 100s) ...they paid for it, awesome. This week the starter went out, click, same as described above. I'm sorta pissed that the 200 series has these $1000+ issues before 120K miles. The 2003 was the best one I had, no clunk, no cracked manifolds :)

So far on the 2008 I've had the shaft replaced to get rid of the LC clunk, that was done under extended warranty, new radiator (paid for as corp sign of gratitude for being loyal customer) also had to get belt tensioner replaced. The starter is , like its predecessors under the manifold or somewhere difficult to access, so the repair is around $1000!!!:mad:

replace the starter yourself. can be done for $300. its a pain in the ass, but not technically difficult. Yes, there are some issues with these trucks, but compared to the $$$and frustration with current American made cars at less than 100K miles, I'll live through the issues.

Same symptoms as my FJ55's failed starter really :) Check that you keep grounds clean as well.

Starters and radiators seem to die pretty much like clockwork between 120-160k... Same as my 100.

At least it seems consistent...which points to a "life-span" thing rather than a quality-control thing.

My question is...
Is it a mileage thing...or a time thing?
-My 2008 is 8 years old...but still only has about 60k.
I would assume the starter is a wear thing...
...but I'm curious about the radiator.
-Is it miles spent heating and cooling? Or is it time of exposure to coolant?

I guess I'm the perfect guinea pig/lab rat...as I have a low miles 2008.

Last edited:
Are there heavy duty alternative components available (either OEM or aftermarket) to replace these water pump, starter, and/or radiator with when the time comes, or is it just a known thing that we have to live with (I'm ok with it if I have to be)?

I read a bunch of Tundra forums when my starter died. There are a ton more tundras rolling around with high mileage. seemed like a mileage/number of starts more than age. The contacts for the motor wear out. It is an electronic component with moving parts, they just wear out....If you get the dreaded click...and no start, you can jump the solenoid to get it running and back to a friendly repair location. It is a stout, heavy well built unit. Get the denso part from Toyota or Napa. I cheaped out with an autozone starter because it was the only one in stock in my town. it lasted a day......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom