2008 HZJ71 diagnostic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
does anyone know which diagnostic tool to use for a 2008 HZJ71 4.2D 1HZ ?
after off-roading with lots of water and mud, the engine light suddenly came on, even though the engine runs very well.....
thank you
Giacomo

I would just start with a standard OBD2 reader and see what it says. Those are only like $30 at any parts store.

You probably just have water in some sensor connectors. That scanner will tell you which area to start with.

I've bought this one for a few buddies. It is cheap and does the bare minimum. I also like it because it shows readiness monitors in a nice view for emissions testing readiness.

1686073187136.png

Hi,
I also made the diagnosis with the Teachstream but for me it is unable to communicate with the control unit, as it even sees ABS/VSC/TRC and SRS Aibag ECU that the car does not have.....
I really don't know which tool to use
thank you

20230610_170331.jpg

20230610_172442.jpg

Hi Giacomo

Your 2008 HZJ71 was probably sold in Germany , and to comply with emissions , the company Huberfarzeugtechnik from Germany , made and applied those control boxes in Land Cruiser with 1HZ engines to be sold in Germany . Not sure if your 2008 HZJ 71 has OBDII or if the HZJ71 was bypassed by that Huber box . Perhaps if you contact that company , they can help . Good luck .

Hi Giacomo

Your 2008 HZJ71 was probably sold in Germany , and to comply with emissions , the company Huberfarzeugtechnik from Germany , made and applied those control boxes in Land Cruiser with 1HZ engines to be sold in Germany . Not sure if your 2008 HZJ 71 has OBDII or if the HZJ71 was bypassed by that Huber box . Perhaps if you contact that company , they can help . Good luck .
I would be interested though what exactly might be controlled by a control box on a 1HZ engine. How on earth is a computer going to steer a fully mechanical injection system, for instance?

I would be interested though what exactly might be controlled by a control box on a 1HZ engine. How on earth is a computer going to steer a fully mechanical injection system, for instance?
I don't know , sorry . All I know is that 1HZ powered Land Cruisers , sold to general markets and later registered in Germany , have that box and a grafted Toyota EGR system , to comply I think with Euro 3 or 4 ( not sure ) so that they could be registered in Germany , A friend of mine has a 2001 HZJ78 troopy , registered later in Germany and has that box too . May be the box controls some EG function ?

And pics from the electronic box and EGR . Note the EGR grafted to the intake pipe .

Edit : From my friend's 2001 HZJ78 .

Edit 2 : Note on the first foto , of the box , the sticker reads "Engine Control Unit!" , and on my friend's 78 , the sticker reads "Emissions Control Unit" .

b156a242-b3cd-4833-829f-913d3b6adc17.jpg

d62fcc1b-d2e6-4f83-afd7-a96ab29f455e.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Giacomo

Hi portcruiser and thank you for answer
I think it's only for the EGR control, even if it has a sensor on the injection pump
anyway I tried to write to Huber company but no response....

20230618_123227.jpg

20230618_123248.jpg

20230618_123113.jpg

Hello,

That OBD port fitment does not look very OEM. AT least not for a 70 Series of that model year.

I risk stating the obvious here. The 1HZ engine does not have an ECU. It is designed in that way both to be reliable and repairable with basic tools under a tree.

However, JDM and select market require emissions control equipment to comply with local regulations.

EGR and other emissions control devices require a control unit. Carbureted engines have ECUs, as well as mechanically injected diesel engines. An OBD port can make troubleshooting easier, at least in theory.

Furthermore, 70 Series Cruisers -especially pre-2007 models- usually have their electronic control units inside the dashboard, namely in the space behind the glovebox. A control unit in the engine bay may suggest a third party, near-OEM setup.

My guess: your truck has what appears to be a near-factory emissions control unit installed by a third-party company in a near-factory setup, wired to your check engine light. It is possible that water or corrosion are playing tricks with the control unit, and as a result the light is on.

I would try to check the wiring and connectors for water damage and corrosion damage. If possible, I would try to open the control unit and check its innards.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom