Builds 2006 Tundra DC 4x4 mild build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like your truck. I’m contemplating buying one for myself and swapping all the goodies over from my Sequoia, and then selling the Seq in stock form. Or I’ll just take the easy way out and fabricate a tough smaller trailer. Depends on how long I keep my ‘19 Tundra I guess.

Still a lot to do, but getting closer and starting to look sezy. :cool:

20230713_162304.jpg
20230713_162352.jpg
20230713_162401.jpg
20230713_185546.jpg
20230713_192949.jpg

Just wrapped up installing the front GX460 big brakes, as well as SOS Performance rear disc conversion kit using FJ Cruiser rotors and calipers. Installed on my 2006 Tundra DoubleCab 4x4. Non-VSC. I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY how well this thing stops now.

I was a bit nervous going for it given the mixed results folks have had, but it seemed like the ones having the most success are the later DoubleCabs with the non-VSC like I have. So I went for it. I also actually bought the replacement master cylinder from SOS, just in case, but I decided to do it at a later date if necessary, after doing the discs all around. I also left the stock rear LSPV in place with the same reasoning--swap it out later, if nessary. But this thing is stopping so well right now with just the GX460 fronts and FJC rears, I'll just be leaving it and running it for now.

Pedal feels absolutely awesome too. No excessive travel or anything. Brakes start to grab quick (but not too quick) and amount of travel feels awesome. Way better than before. Maybe is mostly the front GX460 stuff, but I cant really say for sure, but I absolutely HATE drum brakes. No.debate on "they just need to be adjusted properly" blah, blah. They're bullsh!t to work on regardless, and if they're so damn great, why the hell aren't they still on the fronts of every vehicle like in the old days? LOL. Ya, cause they suck. IMO, this is how the 1G Tundra should have been from the factory. --able to stop well.

Specific parts:
-OEM Toyota GX460 calipers, machined by Jim Smola (I think he does 3.5mm shaved off)
-Advics GX460 rotors and OEM pads
-SOS rear kit using centric pads and rotors and whatever calipers SOS sends

Overall, on the SOS kit, it seems like a decent kit, time will tell. One thing I am not stoked about, is that the calipers brake lines do not line up anywhere near the OEM hard lines on the axle. I had to bend them up and around in a terribly ugly loop. I'll def be replacing the hard lines with some new custom hard lines, asap.

20230717_175335.jpg

Last edited:
Been looking for almost a year for a decent used cap in my area. Almost threw down for a new A.R.E MX a couple months back, but decided to wait. Finally found a good condition raised height Leer topper on the local classifieds for $500. Somehow I lucked out and called first and was able to head right over immediately and grab it. 😎

Nice birthday present for the ol' girl turning 150k today. 😀

20230908_130934.jpg
20230908_161844.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom