2006 LX Transmission Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TG1

Threads
Hey Folks,

I'm looking at a 2006 LX with 200k on it.

It's been serviced by Lexus pretty regularly it's entire life save for a few Jiffy Lube LOF.

Back in 2015 starting at 138k to 146k over about 3 months it had several issues with what seemed like the Tranny as follows (according to the Lexus Service records):

- Vehicle going up a grade, it red-lined, lost power and stalled. Was able to be re-started after several minutes but issues with hard acceleration and low speed (my .02 tranny slipping) immediately after.
- Dealer checked and could not duplicate with exact scenario testing

- Vehicle has trouble shifting (I don't know exactly was meant by that from the record)
- Dealer tried to replicate and vehicle operating normally

- Vehicle will not accelerate at times, will only go at idle speed
- Dealer checks and can not replicate

Then at 151k (3 months later) a leaking tranny Pan gasket is identified and the gasket replaced.

Tranny Fluid has NEVER been changed.

Soooo should I assume the tranny lost enough fluid with the leak that it was slipping on occasion and then when the leak was repaired (and I'm assuming some fluid (maybe 3 liters) replaced) it resumed normal operation??

And it that's a likely scenario and here we are 4 YEARS and 50k miles later with no reported issues since then should I assume the tranny is ok?

Or if there is possible damage how can you determine that without taking it apart and looking at it? At least dropping the pan and checking the filter and valve bodies etc etc which I know little to nothing about and am wondering if a 3rd party Lexus guy or the dealer would be used to inspecting.

ONE MORE THING - The T-case, and Front and Rear Diffs were serviced at 60k and 120k... it also had a 180k service but they aren't listed as being serviced again. trying to find out now.

THANKS Very Much!!!

Last edited:
I'd be pretty leary about buying it if it were me. How much do they want?
Thanks.... Yeh I am.... but thinking that you guys would know way more about the potential pitfalls and possible inspection to validate issues. It was owned by a lady 1st owner until fairly recently (trying to find out when ownership changed hands) then bought by a guy who's now trying to sell it. He's asking $10,500 I believe which is a good price looking at NADA, KBB and Black Book prices esp with 100 series which in my experience typically go for like 20 - 40 % over book.

I had a very similar issue with my 06 when going up hill in warm to hot weather. It stalled out and would not restart until I waited 10 minutes. I work for a Lexus dealer and we still couldn’t find the issue. The top techs thought vapor lock. We cleaned the throttle body and it hasn’t had an issue in two years. I wheeled to 7500 ft elevation in 90 degree weather with no issues (knocking on my wood dash trim).

I don't know if it's an issue now, but I wouldn't buy this one. Trans on these aren't cheap.

Last edited:
With low ATF fluid, truck may act the way you described it. if i were you, knock off what you can from the 10.5K for used Tran and then 70% issue will be solved with changed the ATF Gradually ( 4-5 Qarts every month or complete flush) and replace filter and cleaning Solenoids. of course with new pan gasket

It would be a red flag, but if it's gone 4 years and 50k without issue, it may be fine. If I were selling it, there is no way I'd let a shop pull the transmission pan for an inspection. I'd be too worried that it wouldn't put back together correctly and, short of checking the magnets, I don't think there is much to see.

You mentioned that the transmission fluid has never been changed, I'd expect that to be the case with most you'll look at since the maintenance schedule never calls for a fluid change. The average owner isn't looking for ways to spend money on extra maintenance. Despite being scheduled, many probably skip the diffs, transfer case and front wheel bearing services too.

If the LX is what you're looking, isn't a rust bucket, and the price is in your range, go drive it and see how it behaves.

I would keep looking. @aging fleet, I agree on the pan pulling but think he can find one with documented maintenance. Diffs and trans need to be changed and are listed for exchange.

Good examples exist out there and pop up often, just need to expand geographic search. Trans and diff fluids need to be changed and are listed for maintenance intervals with Toyota.

If you have time to shop, expand your search and consider flying and driving for a few hundred bucks. You can have the owner bring to a shop for inspection and also pay to ship. All which is significantly less than replacing a trans or having a diff go.

Look in the right areas (I like Arizona for Toyota 4x4 searches), shop one owners, sign up on Toyota owners and enter the vins to pull maintenance history from Toyota as if you're the owner. owne

I would keep looking. @aging fleet, I agree on the pan pulling but think he can find one with documented maintenance. Diffs and trans need to be changed and are listed for exchange.

Good examples exist out there and pop up often, just need to expand geographic search. Trans and diff fluids need to be changed and are listed for maintenance intervals with Toyota.

If you have time to shop, expand your search and consider flying and driving for a few hundred bucks. You can have the owner bring to a shop for inspection and also pay to ship. All which is significantly less than replacing a trans or having a diff go.

Look in the right areas (I like Arizona for Toyota 4x4 searches), shop one owners, sign up on Toyota owners and enter the vins to pull maintenance history from Toyota as if you're the owner. owne
This one does have the documented maintenance and had the driveline triad (diffs and t-case fluids) done at 60k and 120k. Had the 180k Maintenance done as well just not sure the driveline fluids were changed again.

It would be a red flag, but if it's gone 4 years and 50k without issue, it may be fine. If I were selling it, there is no way I'd let a shop pull the transmission pan for an inspection. I'd be too worried that it wouldn't put back together correctly and, short of checking the magnets, I don't think there is much to see.

You mentioned that the transmission fluid has never been changed, I'd expect that to be the case with most you'll look at since the maintenance schedule never calls for a fluid change. The average owner isn't looking for ways to spend money on extra maintenance. Despite being scheduled, many probably skip the diffs, transfer case and front wheel bearing services too.

If the LX is what you're looking, isn't a rust bucket, and the price is in your range, go drive it and see how it behaves.
Yeh agreed on skipping the fluids during regular schedule maintenance so that’s why I like that this had that done at 60k and 120k and possibly 180k.... it’s the tranny that’s really the issue which I realize is potentially major.

You'll have to make your own call on it. It's great that the other fluids were changed in the diffs and t-case - but the trans is the issue at hand. I've done a trans swap on my 1st gen Tundra and its expensive and difficult. These transmissions can go forever if well maintained, but 200k is 200k and if they aren't taken care of they fall prey to the same heat and wear as others.

These LX's are everywhere and I don't think well maintained ones are rare if you cast a wide enough net.

You'll have to make your own call on it. It's great that the other fluids were changed in the diffs and t-case - but the trans is the issue at hand. I've done a trans swap on my 1st gen Tundra and its expensive and difficult. These transmissions can go forever if well maintained, but 200k is 200k and if they aren't taken care of they fall prey to the same heat and wear as others.

These LX's are everywhere and I don't think well maintained ones are rare if you cast a wide enough net.
Thanks. Agreed.

I don't think well maintained ones are rare if you cast a wide enough net.

So much this. I decided it was worth traveling. Found one 4.5 hours away.

I too like to live dangerously.
lol... yeh I know.

What I was hoping was someone really knew these transmissions (or worked on them in a shop) and based on the symptoms and the recent apparent non-symptoms over 4 years and 50k whether the risk was high or low etc but I guess that's never going to happen and it's gonna be a crap shoot.

The other thing is, if I were to have it checked out by a transmission place I wonder if they could really tell anything more than the Lexus dealer could 3 times after it happened 4 years ago (which was could not replicate) without taking it apart and it sounds like maybe the answer is probably no. I guess there's no diagnostic technology (like compression testing an engine) a Transmission repair place might have that, Lexus doesn't, to diagnose issues that aren't easily demonstrable ???

I wouldn't worry about it. If any major damage had occurred when the (speculating) trans fluid was low, it would have reared it's head in the 50K miles since then. I'd drive it and see if it seems to be on the up and up. If it drives out fine (get it nice and hot, like stop and go traffic), and you like it, go for it. The last issue that is listed in the records dealing with no throttle does not sound like a trans issue anyways. If it was revving and not moving, different story. Hope this helps!

lol... yeh I know.

What I was hoping was someone really knew these transmissions (or worked on them in a shop) and based on the symptoms and the recent apparent non-symptoms over 4 years and 50k whether the risk was high or low etc but I guess that's never going to happen and it's gonna be a crap shoot.

The other thing is, if I were to have it checked out by a transmission place I wonder if they could really tell anything more than the Lexus dealer could 3 times after it happened 4 years ago (which was could not replicate) without taking it apart and it sounds like maybe the answer is probably no. I guess there's no diagnostic technology (like compression testing an engine) a Transmission repair place might have that, Lexus doesn't, to diagnose issues that aren't easily demonstrable ???

You can send in a transmission fluid sample for analysis. It won't read the organic material from what is likely a prematurely worn torque converter (based on symptoms of the low fluid issue). It will however show metallic wear debris.

I wouldn't worry about it. If any major damage had occurred when the (speculating) trans fluid was low, it would have reared it's head in the 50K miles since then. I'd drive it and see if it seems to be on the up and up. If it drives out fine (get it nice and hot, like stop and go traffic), and you like it, go for it. The last issue that is listed in the records dealing with no throttle does not sound like a trans issue anyways. If it was revving and not moving, different story. Hope this helps!
Thanks. What might have the revving and not moving be?

You can send in a transmission fluid sample for analysis. It won't read the organic material from what is likely a prematurely worn torque converter (based on symptoms of the low fluid issue). It will however show metallic wear debris.
Who does that and how much is it typically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom