2005 Sequoia starter not disengaging when key is released . . . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2005 Sequoia where the starter will not disengage from cranking after you release the key. I just put a replacement engine in after the previous one broke a timing belt. After the timing belt broke I noted the same problem when I cranked it then, so same synptoms, two different motors.

When the engine starts there is a loud noise coming from the engine, and I get some white-ish burnig smelling smoke from the back of the engine. Could the running engine be pulling the running engine along?

What could it be? Igniton switch? Some started solenoid?

Gene,
Shamefully I destroyed my own engine a month after a successful timing belt swap (07 Seq). While talking to a tech at Toyota I was told that the Tundra engine will not directly swap over because of differences in fuel mapping in the computer. He also told me the harnesses are different. I picked up my donor engine today (06 Tundra)and am at a standstill trying to decide who to believe. If what he says is true you may have a harness issue. Any info you can share would be very helpful. Thanks

I've just swap an 06 GX470 engine into 2007 Unicore. Broke it down to the long block, which all 2UZ-fe VVti are the same. Pre VVT engine, the 2UZ-fe (pre May 05) have just enough difference they don't swap into a Vehicle equipped with 2UZ-fe VVti. So VVT or not is key.

Check out 2007 Unicorn's index at the end of first post. Read through engine in; previous "projects and much more", engine. You'll then see why I limited my search to Japanese made 2UZ-fe VVti engine.

I just finished a 1000mi road trip with the swapped engine . . . 2005 Tundra to a 2005 Sequoia. I looked very carefullly at all components on the engine before installing. I did have to use the original wiring harness . . . wanna a buy a used wirehing harness from a 2005 Tundar. ;)

The engine ran like a dream over all Colorado mtn passes, and on the Wyoming highways at 80+ MPH.

-- Gene.

The orig Seq engine and the replacement Tundra engine. Had to drop the front end way down to get the engine to clear. You can see the Tundra donor.

IMG_5989.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

Tundra.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom